Boumsong to rangers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:02 pm

For those who have beeing following the Boumsong story, Sky Sports report that he has agreed a deal with Rangers, of all people.

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1114109,00.html

This is a bit of a surprise seeing that Houllier allegedly had reached an understanding with Auxerre to sign Cisse and Boumsong (although Boumsong was out of contract, so the transfer was largely his own decision).

Liverpool missing out on Boumsong: a good or bad thing?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:06 pm

Well if we do miss out on Boumsong it definately won't be to Rangers.

I would like to see him here, and I think he will come, though that would finish Henchoz's Liverpool Career.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:21 pm

If Boumsong is willing to go to Rangers ahead of the list of teams reportedly interested in him then its just as well because anyone with ambition would not go to play in Scotland. Sorry to all SPL fans out there but the league is just not strong enough for top class players to go if they want to improve. From what I hear of Boumsong he's meant to be a half decent centre half, but again its not the first time we've heard that about French players.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:04 pm

Sky seem to think the deal is done and dusted.

The only reason Boumsong would go to Rangers is because they offered him more money than everybody else.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:06 pm

Sky chat s##t just like Rupert Murdoch.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:54 am

Boumsong confirmed the deal this morning.

He said that the reason he choose Rangers was because Liverpool, Arsenal, Inter Milan and Marseille put nothing solid in front of him; he wasn't prepared to wait and so took Rangers' offer.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ram » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:05 pm

I heard on Talk Sport that Houllier wants Henchoz out and will sell him to Blackburn in January. Hard to believe since his partnership with Hyppia is so strong.
Ram

Postby Ram » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:08 pm

I heard on Talk Sport that Houllier wants Henchoz out and will sell him to Blackburn in January. Hard to believe since his partnership with Hyppia is so strong.
Ram

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:48 pm

I have to breathe a sigh of relief, what we've signed from the French league only fills me with fear when we are linked with more
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:09 pm

Houllier is already showing some sour grapes! :D

He said this afternoon that Boumsong had a big mouth and talked himself out of the move to Anfield. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:17 pm

I think Henchoz's days at Liverpool are numbered.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:46 pm

I've just read what Boumsong and Houllier had to say.  I think Boumsong is playing the field, he wants a soild offer on the table, and is using the threat of Rangers to get what he wants.

Only a suggestion.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Coley » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:15 pm

I hate to say it but i think Houllier is right on this one.  I agree with the following that he said today:

"If that is the case and Jean has made those comments, then he is not the type of player for Liverpool Football Club," said Houllier.

"We have shown an interest in Boumsong, but I want players who are happy to play for Liverpool, players who have a desire to pull on the red jersey.

"If he does not have that desire, it suggests he does not have the commitment to play for Liverpool."

I think we would be better off getting a good young english centre half in (Dawson at Notts Forest?) and bringing him on. :p
Coley

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:52 pm

Coley wrote:I think we would be better off getting a good young english centre half in (Dawson at Notts Forest?) and bringing him on. :p

There would be no harm in signing Dawson, but haven't we had enough of signing young fellas so that we can "bring them on"?

I'd prefer to sign a seasoned centre approaching or at his peak. Gallas is not 100% happy at Chelsea and I reckon they'll sign a big name centre half next summer, so we might have a chance to get him (although we'd have to fight Arsenal).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion