Harry kewell

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:26 pm

Recently said that he would be fit by the time we play Barcelona. I think in certain areas we have missed him but I doubt that he will play any part against Barca, as he won't have the match fitness.

It's such a shame how things turned out for him. He was such a fantastic player at Leeds and he scored 11 or 12 goals in his first season with us.

After all those injuries, he had a long run in the team last season and whilst he wasn't impressive like he used to be, he was getting there. Then he had another set-back in Cardiff, going off early in a cup final once more and he's been out ever since.

Probably won't be as good as he once was but there's no harm in wishing he finds his long forgotten form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtPwVXyDvmE
Last edited by A.B. on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm

If I was one of our left sided players like Gonzalez, Aurelio or Riise. I'd be pissed off if harry walked back straight into the starting 11 for the Barca game.

Rafa does seem to have a habit of playing him as soon as he's back from injury.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Good shout to remember him AB.

Some injuries are very tricky, and the amount of bad thoughts that wander through an injured player is huge.

Come on Harry!
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:If I was one of our left sided players like Gonzalez, Aurelio or Riise. I'd be pissed off if harry walked back straight into the starting 11 for the Barca game.

Rafa does seem to have a habit of playing him as soon as he's back from injury.

I think Rafa said once that ever since he saw Harry play at Old Toilet for Leeds, he's been impressed by his ability.

I think that Rafa thinks that he can get Kewell back to where he once was, or at least close to it.

Injuries haven't helped and as you've said, he has put a lot of faith in Harry when most managers wouldn't.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm

its funny how his injuries always seem to get better by the time we have a massive game (fa cup final, champs league final, barca game) but maybe im just too cynical.. hope he gets back to full fitness soon, he was going well for us
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:42 pm

dawson99 wrote:its funny how his injuries always seem to get better by the time we have a massive game (fa cup final, champs league final, barca game) but maybe im just too cynical.. hope he gets back to full fitness soon, he was going well for us

I think you are a bit cynical. What player would want to limp off in the biggest game of their lives?

I think a lot of fans have been extremely harsh towards Harry, as if  Kewell decides whether or not he wants to be injured or not.

Sure at times he looked like he couldn't care less on the pitch but that changed last season when he came back into the team.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm

Its hard to gauge a player like Harry Kewell...TBH im sick and tired of his injurys,im not saying its his fault..far from it!
But having the clubs best interests at heart i feel he is nothing more than a thorn in the side of LFC now...We have been paying his wages for a long time and got very little in return.
He comes back,plays a while and shows glimpses of what he can do then hes injured again...for me he's sadly a lost cause...I say sadly because only for the re occuring injury he may have been a legend..that we will never know!

How many fans sit on the fence when it comes to Kewell and say nothing...how many have thought at one stage..does he really want to play?Is he really committed to LFC?Or is he just happy to pick up a massive cheque every week and live a lavish lifestyle?
Who are we to judge!

Thats the reason i think we should cut our losses and say goodbye if possible.Sadly in football these days injured or unfit to play players are protected by contract!You have to keep paying them while injured unless you can loan them..you cant just get rid!

One major question is who would actually take Kewell on loan?.......No team of stature....probably not even the likes of sh.te clubs like Everton!
So why should we keep him..the answer is simple..Legally we have to!
66-1120597113

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:56 pm

What player would want to limp off in the biggest game of their lives?

Go to the training session of any team of any top league of the world, and watch a long term injured player. Watch them all the processs of recovery, first just watching his team mates, then continuous runs... it's hard. Both physically and mentally.

Some days you'll see them crumbled, sometimes anxious, there's nothing worse for a football player than wanting badly to contribute for the team.

But doubting about players that are injured is a classic, nevertheless. I don't know why.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 am

Let's not forget he's still only 28. If he can get back from injury and have a good run in the side, it's not inconceivable that he'll end the season as the fittest player at the club.

He's missed half the season due to injury, but it also means that he's got half a season less football in his legs.

Time will tell, but let's not forget that he's a potential match-winner when he's on song. Whichever way you look at it, his return is long overdue, and is nothing but good news for the club.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:34 am

Big player for us, and whenever he's played and HOWEVERhe'splayed, he has contibuted massively, particularly in the assists bracket.

Watch the 2004-05 review - I'd say he was involved in about 70% of the goals he was on the pitch for.

Very underestimated purely due to injuries and a percieved lazy streak which is actually pain.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:41 am

azriahmad
Posted: Jan. 23 2007,00:57
Kewell has never reproduced his best Leeds United form Liverpool, never really attempted to track back in earnest and harry the opposition when we lose possession and never seemed to have recovered his ability to beat people with the ball at speed as he did often for Leeds. Woolf pointed out that he only made 121 appearnces for us since 2003. He also scored some spectacular goals for us and was a consistent performer last season after Rafa gave him so much time to recover and playing time to find his form.

Looking at the bigger picture and the personnel we have as an alternative to kewell, the obvious one is mark Gonzalez. mark Gonzalez always gives the ball away way too easily, can't beat a man to0 save his life and only has speed as his main asset. He seemed to have a decent left foot, a goal he scored from a freekick sweemed to indicate so. On the plus side, he has bags of enthusiasm, will run all day to prove to his manager that he should be a regular and does his fair share of tracking back. The only thing is he is so inconsistent, had not delivered anything noteworthy, apart from a late goal against Macabi Haifa and looks far from being "the best player in Chile".

From all of these perspectives, yes, I do miss Harry.

Taken from another thread, but i thought i was a good post and i agree with it entirely.

Come back soon Harry.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecake » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:26 am

Kewell really should reconsider the time frame of his return to football. I say, take the rest of the season off Harry. Put in a serious pre-season from June onwards, and give it an honest tilt next campaign. If he rushes his recovery again and doesnt get it right this time, I cant see a way back for him. Personally I say, what a shame! Forget footy for awhile Harry, listen to what your feet are trying to say to you.
cheesecake

Postby red_guy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 am

Just like i said before. We do miss Harry. Last season , he was stunning and did contributed a lot for us in getting the 3rd spot. Comeback soon Harry!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 am

Normally I would have said he was too injury prone and should be sold, but his performances last season were outstanding.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:41 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Big player for us, and whenever he's played and HOWEVERhe'splayed, he has contibuted massively, particularly in the assists bracket.

Watch the 2004-05 review - I'd say he was involved in about 70% of the goals he was on the pitch for.

Very underestimated purely due to injuries and a percieved lazy streak which is actually pain.

Spot on.

Against Chelsea in that FA Cup semi he wreaked havoc on their defence.

Hes a quality player and as Lando has said its his injuries that have to an extent overshadowed peoples perceptions of him.

To be honest id prefer him in the LM role and Riise at LB. Aurelio is good technically but he still hasnt produced a string of good games to warrant any more than the status of a good sub.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion