Gordan is the man - Gordan strachan as new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:59 am

Has wrote:1) Arsene wenger never managed a big club, and aberdeen weren't exactly massive when Alex Ferguerson took over.

2) Again the same examples

3) Arsene Wemger was managing in japan with no superstars

4) Wenger never even played professional football, let alone play in europe.

5) Thats a good point thats why i think we should employ an assistant manager with some nouse, and tactical know how.

6) Delgado was an a#se who never turned up to training and sulked as soon as he wasn't picked for the first game.

Er, Has...I think you are forgetting that Wenger had massive European experience BEFORE he came to Arsenal.

He managed Monaco for a long time and they did extremely well in the Champions League. They were regulars in the quarter finals. His spell in Japan must also count as a great experience (radically different culture and football league).

He managed the likes of Hoddle and Klinsmann...top players...superstars in fact. He also had Henry and Treuzeguet.

Fair enough, he wasn't a top player, but there are not many Wenger's around. He is the complete opposite to Strachen.

Ferguson worked wonders at Aberdeen..true....but Ferguson is a once off.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:01 pm

JBG Strachan is the man. Yes he's an ex manc player.  But tell me this would you welcome fergie.  What would you sacrifice to win the premiership what would you give to stop Man U Fans and Aresenal fans laughing.  Football should not be about where you came from but where you are going to. Strachan can deliver.  Who knew who Bill Shankly was before he took over Liverpool now most knowageable football fans, yes even Manc fans consider him one of the finest managers football anywhere has ever seen.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 69-1067957946 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:07 pm

Gordan Strachan is an interesting choice, and the more i think about it the better it sounds, i know he hasen't managed a "Big" club but i think he is worth the risk.
69-1067957946

Postby Harry5 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:30 pm

Yeah, thats a great choice
Harry5

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:46 pm

Gordan Strachan is winning the poll, so i think there is a lot of backing for him, but i'm suprised no one voted for Gus Hiddink.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:29 pm

I'm concerned that we are going to lose Gordon's services. Talk is he's going to leeds. If he doe's just watch all the back trackers as he turns them around.  Too Late Too late.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:36 pm

if he leaves southampton for leeds then he is an idiot.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:02 pm

I can't believe that Strachan would be stupid enough to join a club which could well be in administration next year. Where's the fun in managing a team which is at the bottom of the league, problems with some of the good players who are left, and no money to spend.

I think that he would be a good motivator, but he is unproven at this level. It is a major risk. He hasn't won a trophy as a manager nor does he know what European football is all about. We haven't won the league for 13 years and after the disappointments of Souness, Evans, Evans/Houllier, and now Houllier, it would be unwise, in my view, to go for Strachan. We need someone whom the players will respect, and at this level, who can tell the players what competing at the highest levels in Europe is all about.

We simply don't have the time for rebuilding, again, or waiting for the manager to learn over two or three years what European football is all about.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:01 pm

There is talent and there is talent, Strachan is the latter ie talent.  We have a tradition of giving unproven managers a go. Paisley, Fagan, Daglish Etc. Proven players are much more important.
big al
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion