Goals, goals, goals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 am

jacdaniel wrote:We need a striker.  Suarez is an amazing player capable of brilliant things but doesn't seem to be a natural finisher.  His finishing is actual pretty awful at times.  Bellamy has also never been a prolific striker.  Kuyt might be a decent option but he is not getting any younger and doesn't seem to be in great form this season.  That leaves Carroll who also isnt prolific and is lacking form/confidence etc. 

Would be great to find a Fowler type striker that will always be there for tap in's. 

We could also do with shooting a little bit more.  We don't seem to take too many shots from distance and Adam has proved twice this season that when you have a pop any sort of deflection can result in a goal.

We need someone like Chicharito...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 am

Thommo's perm wrote:Rather stick with what weve got and wait for it to come right.
There is no guarantee that a new player will score goals

we cant afford to sit and wait in the hope that our strikers are suddenly going to come good.well not if we have any ambitions of returning to the cl.
we could be a while waiting for this to come right.
stick with suarez and carroll and start signing someone quick.
kuyt,maxi and bellers are all the other side of 30 and are average.they need replacing if not now then in the summer.
we have a decent side but we lack the ability and players to win games that we are dominating and i believe we are only a player or two away from being hopefulls to dead certs for the cl.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm

New players dont necessarily guarantee goals, otherwise we would have had more
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

this is why i hate the transfer window. it's a joke that clubs have to wait until january, a time when players go for ridiculously inflated prices, to buy players. never been a fan of it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:New players dont necessarily guarantee goals, otherwise we would have had more

beg to differ.
over half the goals we have scored so far have come from new players in suarez,carroll,adam and henderson.
what your not guranteed is consistency.
this squad is in the process of a rebuild and january is another chance to add to it and if the funds are there we'd be foolish not too.
not one of our strikers is consistent atm or clinical because if they were we would have doubled our tally by now,nothing to do with being new at all.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm

I agree with Thommo, we don't need to buy anyone in this window. I think that we need to give this team more time, I'm sure the goals will come.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm

red till i die!! wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:New players dont necessarily guarantee goals, otherwise we would have had more

beg to differ.
over half the goals we have scored so far have come from new players in suarez,carroll,adam and henderson.
this squad is in the process of a rebuild and january is another chance to add to it and if the funds are there we'd be foolish not too.
not one of our strikers is consistent atm or clinical because if they were we would have doubled our tally by now,nothing to do with being new at all.

So they are scoring, but not consistently?
What makes you think new players would score consistently?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 pm

i don't
,weve scored 17 in the league this season and i just pointed out that over half was scored by 4 new additions to the squad.
with a goal every 200 odd minutes for the strikers would also indicate that they are inconsistent in front of goal.
im saying if we have the cash and the right man is available then why not.if he hits the ground running then its a bonus.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:13 am

Bellamy and Maxi surely have to get a run of games in the team now, if they played reguarly i think those two aswell as Suarez would score a lot of goals as they all link well with each other with clever passing and movement, Carroll can stay on the bench until he learns to blend with the team.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:34 am

Well if Carroll don't get time on the pitch how else will he learn to blend with the team?!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 am

Madmax wrote:Well if Carroll don't get time on the pitch how else will he learn to blend with the team?!

i could care less, i want whats best for the team not Andy Carroll, Bellamy has earned a starting spot, caroll has done next to nothing
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 am

Think it's pretty easy to say Bellamy has earned his spot in the first 11 after ripping apart Chelsea. He would have put away that penalty that Carroll struck straight into the keeper.

In the next few league games if Kenny experiments with Carroll in the starting lineup at Bellamy's expense I'd be really disappointed.
killerp

Postby ethanr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:48 am

Thommo's perm wrote:
red till i die!! wrote:

beg to differ.

So they are scoring, but not consistently?
What makes you think new players would score consistently?
???

Just like to point something out here... Our new players are scoring goals, but look at our lineup now.  If we play with 1 or 2 strikers, that means Suarez and Carroll or Bellamy, who are all new players.  Our wingers are Downing, Hendo and Kuyt for the most part.  Downing and Hendo are new players.  Our cm's are Lucas, Hendo and Adam, 2 of whom are new players (Gerrard's been hurt too often).  Lucas is a defensive CM and not supposed to score.  So in theory there is only 1 player on the pitch from our team last year who we expect to score goals, and that's Kuyt, and even he hasn't been playing much lately.

Maxi's come and and scored for us a couple times.  Spearing's got a couple games but he's also defensive-minded.  We really only play new players in the scoring positions, so of course they are going to have most of our goals.  It doesn't mean they are scoring enough tho.

I'm not saying we need to spend in January, I'm just pointing this out.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Octsky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 am

imagine if we got Mata and Silva in the same team,
both players that were heavily linked with us before...
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:04 am

red till i die!! wrote:i don't
,weve scored 17 in the league this season and i just pointed out that over half was scored by 4 new additions to the squad.
with a goal every 200 odd minutes for the strikers would also indicate that they are inconsistent in front of goal.
im saying if we have the cash and the right man is available then why not.if he hits the ground running then its a bonus.

But by your theory we would just keep buying player after player in the hope that he is the "right man". We could end up with the Rafa situation where we have dozens of players who were thought to be the answer when they in fact turned out to be the problem.
I am not against spending per se, but there should be a reason. If the players arent scoring then buying someone else is a gamble that could backfire as well as possibly being a bonus. I believe the players we have are more than capable, its just not happening at the moment. If each of those attempts that hit the woodwork had gone in, if Downing had gone for accuracy instead of power, if Carrol had let someone else take the penalty, etc, etc.
I would much prefer KK not to over complicate it with new faces and new selection headaches. If we need someone after the season is over then fair enough. But we are a work in progress and judging by the last 3 games at least, we are close to becoming a fierce unit and pretty much the team to beat.
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion