Goals, goals, goals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm

I've been lining up two sets of stats and neither took as long as I feared. One was when we score and concede, the other is the difference Gerrard and Torres make on an otherwise unimpressive scoring bunch

When goals scored

1st-15th : 6 goals
16th-30th : 12 goals
31st-45th : 7 goals
46th-60th : 13 goals
61st-75th : 11 goals
76th-90th : 23 goals

So we score nearly a third of our goals in the last 15 minutes. Is it a coincidence that Rafa makes substitutions later rather than sooner? And two thirds of our goals come in the second half, maybe if we scored a few more in the first half we'd wrap up ponits sooner and the goals we concede wouldn't do so much damage

When goals conceded

1st-15th : 2 goals
16th-30th : 3 goals
31st-45th : 4 goals
46th-60th : 4 goals
61st-75th : 7 goals
76th-90th : 7 goals

So we concede about 26% in the last 15 minutes and the same again in the 15 minutes prior to that, making over half the goals we concede in the last third of the match. Compare that to the five we concede in the first third of the match (5/27 = 18.5%) and it's nearly three times as many in the last 30 mins as in the first 30 mins. So what does all that mean? Perhaps we should try defending for the full 90 mins

The Gerrard and Torres impact

Record with their goals counted = P35 W18 D12 L5 F72 A27
Record if you exclude their goals = P35 W12 D11 L12 F40 A27

Obviously someone would have to fill their boots and could well score goals, but those stats do give an indication of the importance of their scoring contribution. We'd have lost SEVEN games that we drew or won thanks to their goals. Bear in mind also that eight of the games that we would have won without their goals were by two or more goals. They have scored 44.44% of our goals between them, there are EIGHT other players on the pitch and while you don't expect defenders to score that many, you would think other strikers and the midfield could score more

Liverpool scorers (2007/8)

17 Torres
15 Gerrard
7 Babel
7 Benayoun
7 Kuyt
6 Crouch
4 Voronin
3 Hyypia
2 Alonso
1 El Zhar
1 Sissoko

Which leaves 2 own goals by my reckoning

*Stats according to BBC.

We've played 35 games, I believe we've already drawn as many games as in any previous season under Rafa and we've still at least 19 games left to play (16 league, 2 CL and 1 FA Cup game)

Clean sheets

First 10 games : 6 clean sheets, 5 goals conceded
Last 10 games : 2 clean sheets, 10 goals conceded

Surprisingly we drew four games in the first ten and only five of the last ten despite scoring 21 goals in the first ten and conceding only five while scoring 16 in the last ten and conceding ten goals. We scored four or more in a game twice in both set of ten games
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matmitchell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Interesting facts, nice to see when are goals are going in and when were conceding. Torres has had a fantastic first season, the amount of goals he's been scoring is fantastic to see. A striker with his finishing is something weve been missing for a few seasons now.
So we concede about 26% in the last 15 minutes and the same again in the 15 minutes prior to that, making over half the goals we concede in the last third of the match. Compare that to the five we concede in the first third of the match (5/27 = 18.5%) and it's nearly three times as many in the last 30 mins as in the first 30 mins. So what does all that mean? Perhaps we should try defending for the full 90 mins

It'd be good to be able to compare this with stats for all premiershp matches. I'm guessing theres gonna be a higher proprtion of goals towards the end of matches usually anyway, with teams chasing the game and generally more open play. So I bet it's not just us who concedes more goals towards the end of matches. In reply to the comments on the Torres and Gerrard contributions, there was another thread that looked at this due to a Sky Sports article. Take away any of the other top teams two main goalscorers and it drastically changes their stats. Rooney and Ronaldo, Fabregas and Adebayor.... Nice post though, really hits home how well Torres has settled in and it's the same old from Gerrard.
matmitchell

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:26 pm

As pointed out by Supersub, the goals by the two highest scorers at the club thing is bull. :censored:.

Take Ronaldo and Tevez's goals from United and they are 11th.

Take Adebayor and Fabregas' goals from Arsenal and they are /.......

BLAH BLAH BLAH

What kind of statitition (sp?) would say consider these figures, take the two highest and look how poorly the figures look now.

RIDICULOUS
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:As pointed out by Supersub, the goals by the two highest scorers at the club thing is bull. :censored:.

Take Ronaldo and Tevez's goals from United and they are 11th.

Take Adebayor and Fabregas' goals from Arsenal and they are /.......

BLAH BLAH BLAH

What kind of statitition (sp?) would say consider these figures, take the two highest and look how poorly the figures look now.

RIDICULOUS

Exactly. How many has Ronaldo scored for United already? I think it's something like 24, I'm not sure, could be more. I keep telling Manc supporters the same bollox they said to me a few years back about Gerrard, that they are a one man band. It's more or less true. It should be take Ronaldo out of their side and they'd probably be below us. FACT!
Last edited by Emerald Red on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Seano Kop » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am

With the Torres/Gerrard impact, we still beat Everton without them :D
Seano Kop

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion