Gloss over - Good points

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:00 am

Anyone, care to try and Gloss Over last nights performance and come with any Good Points ?

Any contributions would be welcome !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Matt D » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:27 am

I would love to say there were some good points, but honestly i would be lying - we were terrible. There was not one single player that you could say had an alright game.
Again we let an unmarked player score with a free header without any body challenging him, surley this zonal marking has to be given the boot maybe until after Christmas when players no where they should be, what zones they should be properly covering etc.....i still like to see man to man marking and i am not sure whether zonal marking works better in the Spanish Leagues but it is definatley something that needs time.
I also saw Dudek on more than one occasion trying to rescue the situation by coming for balls from crosses that he shouldnt have - and i think we all know how low Dudeks confidence is and his ball handling and all round game isnt great.
Alonso didnt look like ever controlling the midfield, Warnock really didnt look like he was ready for the european stage, Baros couldnt stay on his feet, cisse is not sure what the offside rule is the defense looked very dodgy on every ball Rivaldo swung in - sorry to go on and on and sound like i am slagging off players but it reall y pi**ed me off last night
Matt D

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:41 am

yeah, same here. i used more profane words last night than i have for at least a year
106-1093504160

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:45 am

the good point is we are still in the earlier stage
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:57 am

Redrider wrote:Anyone, care to try and Gloss Over last nights performance and come with any Good Points ?

Any contributions would be welcome !!

we only lost one nil and didn't pick up any injuries :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:03 am

We now get to hear from all the perceptive negative types who tell us who we are all screwed and therefore if we dont get a result at Chelski we wont feel as disappointed  ???
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:07 am

As the song say's :
'Always look on the bright side of life'  :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:33 am

Anfieldadorer, you are right! If there is one thing to be positive about is that it is still early days yet for the group. AS it is a group stage, it does not really matter if we lose 1-0 or 2-0 or 2-1 as we collected no points at all. We have to worry anout the next oppositions  and try to get points away at least and win all of the home games (this is the minimum).

We still have 4 games to take things from and make sure that we do take points in every game that remains and we should be through. We should also improve on our horrible defence...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Matt D » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Being honest i dont like to take a negative view i would say more of a concern and like i stated before the defending needs to improve - so far we have played the smaller named clubs at home and have been ok, but defending at OT and last night was awful to watch, whenever a ball was in the box from a free kick or corner they always looked like scoring, and i am afraid if we do the same against Chelsea we could get severley punished. As for the players i mentioned i was having a moan like i said but they do need to improve - like Cisse for example i rate Cisse and i believe he will come good for us but how long do we give him before we start to get frustrated and asking questions about him
Matt D

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:56 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:the good point is we are still in the earlier stage

it be no good if it were straight knockout like the good ole days
106-1093504160

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:02 pm

I couldn't see any positives at all from the playing point of view.

We could have lost 3-0.

However, a positive way at looking at the game is that it should highlight our away problems and maybe something serious will be done about it.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:03 pm

what do you suggest?
106-1093504160

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:07 pm

If I knew that Judge I'd be a manager!  :D

Who knows?

Why does Garcia look terrific at Anfield but anemic away from home?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:10 pm

Matt D wrote:Being honest i dont like to take a negative view i would say more of a concern and like i stated before the defending needs to improve - so far we have played the smaller named clubs at home and have been ok, but defending at OT and last night was awful to watch, whenever a ball was in the box from a free kick or corner they always looked like scoring, and i am afraid if we do the same against Chelsea we could get severley punished. As for the players i mentioned i was having a moan like i said but they do need to improve - like Cisse for example i rate Cisse and i believe he will come good for us but how long do we give him before we start to get frustrated and asking questions about him

I agree with your sentiment, It would be great to be able to come on and say 'Well we lost, but we saw something for the future etc'
I am sorry, but on last nights soulless, inept performance it is impossible to see any thing other than a 'Black Hole'
All I could see was an error prone defence, a midfield lacking in vitallity and imagination and a toothless attack.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Matt D » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:12 pm

We have to go back to man to man marking.simple as - 2/3 years ago we had the best defence in the league and we never played any zonal marking ****** - i believe we also need a world class Centre half, similiar characteristics to that of Sami, tall strong but also young with speed - no anyone?
i hope Lfc also put there hands in their pockets come January as we could do with someone like Aimar, who is great to have on your team and a little bas**rd when playing against him.
Matt D

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion