Game over

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:10 pm

At one point of time we were 12 points behind Everton and I remained confident. Along the way the gap got shorter, the closest we got was a point difference between us and Everton. When the chance to overtake them was given to us like today, our players gave up on themselves, the club and the fans.

Whilst injuries have made this season a hard one, lack of desire at important times like today. Where was Captain Steven Gerrard? What about the rest of the squad? Gone missing once again. Yes today we fielded a weak side in order to save our key players against Chelsea but even so our players were good enough to beat  a side like Crystal Palace.

Come this summer, obivious changes in personal need to be made. We don't have enough players who can put games away. For instance against Portsmouth we had so many chances that a final result of 2-1 was a shocker, Riise could had a hat-trick.

Today we didn't create chances until the final moments of the game. What happened? It seems very clear that despite the comments certain players made about fighting until the end are really just an act, all of them today had their minds on Chelsea.

Champions League has been a double edged sword for us this season, we do well in it but it distracts us in matches like these but even so that should not be an execuse. Our players should be giving it their all in every game. They expected Palace to roll over for them, underestimating the opposition and rightfully they deserved to lose. Palace hadn't won since February, they had to win today and they were  hungrier than us.

We have ourselves to blame because we came out hoping that they will make a mistake when we should had started with all guns blazing.

Now we must hope that we get past Chelsea in the Champions League and that Bolton will not overtake us and prevent ourselves from facing even more humiliation. Ferguson and the likes of Everton in the Champions League? Oh dear
Last edited by A.B. on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:38 pm

Very bad performance today,I THOUGHT Stevie G would help the young guys that played today,didnt see  him give a word of encouragement which is awful,he played ok himself I guess,Rafa has to take some of the blame also IMO,resting players at this stage of the season is just a no go in my eyes,but that performance from the players(no matter what tactics we played) was just not good enough.
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:07 pm

you can't blame stevie g for every sh1t.  He worked his a$$ off. Morientas worked his a$$ off, but he was sh1t too. Does that mean Morientas lacked desire ?

The reason we lost.

1)Baros off.  If baros wasn't injured, we would have won. The CP defenders are terrified of him. Once he went off, they just did not give us respect.

2)Wrong team selection - Understand about alonso & garcia, but no nunez & smicer....?

3)Wrong tactics - Traore at left wing ? La Tellac playing right ? Hyppia & Pelle in the same team (nevermind pelle playing left back)...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:10 pm

im gutted wif the results today.no matter how many times,ive post my comments in tis messageboard,its juz not enuff to vent my anger n dissappointment !! but its true,4th place is GAME OVER !! BYE-BYE !! Good luck to Everton OR Bolton for CL next season.but i doubt they''ll go as far as to the last 16.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:21 pm

IF the right team had been picked then i think we would have still been in the chase for 4th
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:57 pm

I've just got back from the game (I live in Wimbledon) and I didn't think we were that bad. We were the better side until they scored (good goal, Johnson continues to make me eat my words) and pressed at the end. It's not an easy place to go and get a result, their crowd are amazing and they desperately needed the points which showed.
We probably lost the game when we decided to stay in a hotel for the duration of the three southern away games. It seems only natural to me that the nature of the thing is that you will build up to the third, most important game.
On a slightly more critical note, I thought we were powder puff up front all game. Morientes continues to concern me while Le Tellec and Baros (before he got injured) were both poor. Cisse did look really lively when he came on and I might be tempted to start with him on Wednesday.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:35 pm

I did not see the team selection today but from what you guys said he put Traore on the wing? Le Tallac on the other side?. Ofcourse this tinkering will cost you games in premiership against ANY opponent. This Palace side has held Man Utd and Arsenal on their own patch this season, and we only beat that at home with an injury time penalty kick. With a chance to gain ground we really should have fielded our strongest line up irrespective of the semi mid week. When we rest the best we struggle, period. Its kinda like tomorrow he will wake and think, never do that again, then down the line he gives it another shot, only to watch it blow up in his face. Whilst theres life theres hope, but right now you couldnt say we deserve Champs League next year. Heres hoping we can pull a surprise and win that very competition this campaign  :)
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:52 pm

you can't blame stevie g for every sh1t.  He worked his a$$ off. Morientas worked his a$$ off, but he was sh1t too. Does that mean Morientas lacked desire ?

The reason we lost.

1)Baros off.  If baros wasn't injured, we would have won. The CP defenders are terrified of him. Once he went off, they just did not give us respect.

2)Wrong team selection - Understand about alonso & garcia, but no nunez & smicer....?

3)Wrong tactics - Traore at left wing ? La Tellac playing right ? Hyppia & Pelle in the same team (nevermind pelle playing left back)...

Yes Baros runs his socks off but I am not confident in him, how many sitters has he missed in the past three games he's played in?

Smicer and Nunez? What possibly could these two had done that would had gotten us three points? Not much.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:06 pm

The_Rock wrote:you can't blame stevie g for every sh1t.  He worked his a$$ off. Morientas worked his a$$ off, but he was sh1t too. Does that mean Morientas lacked desire ?

Where did I blame stevie G for everything?I love the guy to bits,I simply stated I felt he did not do his captains role in motivating players around him,he played ok today,but he certainly did not play a captains role,the sooner he commits or leaves the better for this club,Morientes looked unfit so how could he works his socks off?,and as for Baros I cant wait till he is off loaded in the summer with the rest of houlliers circus clowns.
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby A.B. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:15 pm

I agree. A good player but not leader material, that doesn't mean he's not a good player but doesn't have the qualities to be a leader on the pitch.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:33 pm

lakes10 wrote:IF the right team had been picked then i think we would have still been in the chase for 4th

i think you would of gave rb a hard time no matte who played today, at the end of teh day he had to rest players cause to be fair, winning the champions league is gong to be more important

it proves one thing, we need more quality palyers in the summer, i mean if u rest alonso and gracia, what have we got? alot of average players not up to the job

nunez, smicer, pelle, finnan, traore, le tallec, cheyrou, diouf, all have to go in the summer, none of them are of the required standard for us

gerrard is hit and miss at times but hes still a quality midfielder
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:39 pm

Actually turns out that Garcia and Alonso had injuries, but nothing too serious that would keep them out the game on Wednesday night.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Finnan has had a great season he can play play the 3-5-2 ,hes perfect for it in my opnion,Traore no way,pellle and hypia too slow to pull it off,I would have played Warnock(was he even a sub today? cant remember) with such a formation..
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:45 pm

still dont think finnan is good enough, but at the same time, he woudl be decent backup and buy a decent right back
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedwards » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 pm

:angry:
Well after today’s game we must kiss the fourth spot goodbye, although I never had the faith in vast number of our LFC, that’s including the captain, to have the will to win or get stuck in and fight on to get a wins in matches like today’s match against a lesser teams. Our players thinks just by turning up on the pitch will get their win without any sweat or blood, thinking of the reputation of our great club will carry them forward!!!!.   Over the past four months or so I did not think the team will make the fourth spot, simply because the team contains too many below average players who they really do think they are top players because they are playing for LFC, the club have too many dead meat, its need to get rid off as soon as possible, new funds is greatly needed to bring top players , and it’s down to chairman and board of directors to find those needed funds to stop this alarming slide, I do not have any hope for next season, where I can see the team will straggle at middle of table, and do not make the top seven!!!.   LFC has lost it touch with top three teams, over the last three seasons ago, and it’s going to take big changes and big funds to turn this down hill slide around.  The present team does not have the players who can split open an average defences, let not say strong defences, they can not put five passes together, where the past maters of LFC’s team where masters of keeping the ball and passing it around and creating chance after chance, this present team is far short of doing so.

It is sad to have that kind of impression about your beloved football club, but we must face the truth, the LFC is not doing well and let us not fool ourselves by saying we are going to win the Europe champion league, I think the teams hope has ended today and will completed by next week!!, let us not listen to what the players have been barking about their chances in this competition over the past weeks, and this is one of bad things the players have been doing just giving their fans false hopes!!!!!!!!

Jedwards
jedwards

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion