Fowler - Bring him back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:18 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:he was never the same after that injury he got in the derby when he challenged the keeper and landed funny.
didnt look much at the time but he was never the same.
he started to give interviews saying he never watched footy on the telly cause it bored him and he was only interested in horse racing. i think he just fell out of love with the game.
what a f@cking player though!! its says everything that even though alan shearer was in his prime he was under tremendous pressure with most people in the press and on the telly saying fowler should lead the attack for england.
owen scored plenty but he never had fowlers range of finishing, robbie wouldnt just hit it, he would choose the finish for the occasion whether it be a lob, a sidefoot, a blast, a chip etc.

yeah hes sh.it
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby GOAT » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:18 am

was a damn amazin player before his transfer to leeds though
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:37 am

i think we had this thread this time last year, and i was one of the one's who said bring him back ,what would we lose , well times have changed in that year and the team and the club have moved on a pace since then ,he's hardly played any footy and i don't think he's that bothered about it, it would be nice to see him in a red shirt once more but, it would be for the wrong reasons i.e sentimentality. The lad was a geniuos when he played for us and i would like to remember him that way.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:08 pm

we are a professional club and we cant have ant sort of sentiment towards the first team. Leave fowler in the past like owen.

Ps: Thanx for ur service though class act
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:17 pm

Fowler is my favourite player of all time. The ability he possessed in his time at Liverpool was literally astounding, and better than anything in England at the time.

However. Thomas Mhyre (Sp?) decided differently, and thought it might be a giggle to give Robbie a little shove.
And that little shove fecked the career of a legend.
In his book, Fowler states that he recovered from that injury fully, but I think at the very least it was the beginning of the decline.

Since that night at Goodison, Fowler has undergone numerous operations, notably on the ankles and hip.
His is a career wrecked by bad luck with unfair injuries.

Simply; to bring Fowler back as a player would be stupid.
To bring Fowler back as a finishing coach would be a waste of time - he said himself he has no idea how he scores the goals.

The only way back to Anfield for Robbie is either as a striking coach (which shots to choose, rather than how to execute them), or another backroom staff role.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:15 pm

Here's a point though...

The last time I saw Fowler in form, was something like 12 months AFTER Van Der Vaart was last in form. Earlier this year, his workrate for Man City was absolutely magnificent, and I remember several reports which gave him as MOM on three or four occasions. He wasn't hitting the net week in, week out, but he was there or there abouts, and it was only lack of sharpness for me that stopped him having a hatful.

The point being, we've had countless users banging the drum for VDV over the last week, and while many people disagree with the calls for him, I think it's only fair that people be allowed to bang the drum for Rob. It was only March this year that Fowler broke 150 Premiership goals, after all, and for me there are a lot more goals in him, given the right support and the right team around him.

Robbie Fowler went to the World Cup with England in 2002. Since then, injuries have blighted him, but there still aren't many English strikers better than him. I'd love him to return as a squad player with a view to grooming him as a future member of the coaching staff, but TBH I can't see it happening.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:16 pm

EDIT - double post. Board spazzed out for a minute.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:11 pm

If he came back to Liverpool he'd get fit and rediscover his appettite for the game, anyone can see that.

I'd take him for 18 months, he's only 30, still got a touch and still got a brain, he's never had pace anyway so if he got fit theres no reason he couldn't get back to a good level.

He wouldn't cost much money aswell so wouldnt really be a gamble. As for not remembering what he done, thats bollox, he was a class act and is clearly worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Rush, Dalglish, Owen, Keegan, Hunt, Liddel and the rest.
115-1073096938

Postby drummerphil » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:52 pm

i think fowler back at Anfield "his home".....would bring back all his passion and desire for the game again.If he knew he could play in front of the kop again wearing the red shirt i'm convinced he would give it 110 %
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:40 am

Rafa said that he likes to work with players who are hungry. How hungry would Fowler be now at 30, after having gone through so many injuries that it is hampering his natural ability somewhat and after making a fortune already?

He may have a great natural ability, but I think his body is past it to play for us and produce a top notch performance consistently.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:18 am

the man is a legend, I am happy with my memories of him through the 90s, and wouldn't want them spoilt
Jari's mullet

Postby redmikey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:49 am

Having fowler back at his prime is the thing of dreams....

some great players have pulled on a red shirt but you cant ignore the truth that GH got rid at the right time. even if in robbies book he says he bloke was  a :censored: to him.

i ve heard alan hansen has still got a pair of boots ???? ???? ???
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:54 pm

redmikey wrote:Having fowler back at his prime is the thing of dreams....

some great players have pulled on a red shirt but you cant ignore the truth that GH got rid at the right time. even if in robbies book he says he bloke was  a :censored: to him.

What people don't understand about Fowler is that during the treble season, he was the best he'd ever been.

His level's of ability in all area's were better than ever. The only thing is, he wasn't playing in a team that was made around him anymore and designed to get the best out of him. Fowler scored alot of goals from crosses, something which was rare under Houllier.

Robbie Fowler was never this alround player that people deam and fantasize about him being.

He was a goalscorer. A world class goalscorer. As a player, maybe he broke into the top 10 strikers in the world, no way was he ever better than the likes of Batistuta, Shearer, Ronaldo, Romario, Del Piero and Raul at the time.

The man's a Liverpool Legend, my favourate player of all time but that doesn't make him better than he actually was. If he got fit now and played as a lone striker in any team that had a player like McManaman used to be or Giggs and with two wing backs who could supply the crosses he'd still get 25 goals a season.

He got 17 in his last season for Liverpool playing in a team which was designed around Owen and Heskey. To me that says it all.

The problem with Fowler ever since he left Liverpool is that people didn't know how to use him, not that he'd "lost it".

Its the same thing now.
115-1073096938

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 pm

The lad's made his money, Man City are paying him £35k a week for the occasional reserve outing (for whom he has been scoring, incidentally) - they clearly want rid, and they certainly won't want a fee.

For me, bring him back training with the reserves, and give him a trial at the club. If he shows you nothing, shake his hand and say goodbye, but if there's even a glimmer of form there, he's too good to leave languishing on the books of a club that refuse to use him. I reckon he'd snatch Rafa's hands off for a pay-as-you-play deal.

I don't think for a moment that Rafa would, but as a PR exercise alone it would be a real coup. He was in form right at the end of Keegan's reign last season, but since Pearce turned up injuries hit again and he's not had a chance. Like people have said, the lad's only 30 and has so much still to offer it's genuinely heartbreaking that nobody seems willing to give him time on a Premiership pitch.
ivor_the_injun

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:11 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
redmikey wrote:Having fowler back at his prime is the thing of dreams....

What people don't understand about Fowler is that during the treble season, he was the best he'd ever been.

His level's of ability in all area's were better than ever. The only thing is, he wasn't playing in a team that was made around him anymore and designed to get the best out of him. Fowler scored alot of goals from crosses, something which was rare under Houllier.

Robbie Fowler was never this alround player that people deam and fantasize about him being.

He was a goalscorer. A world class goalscorer. As a player, maybe he broke into the top 10 strikers in the world, no way was he ever better than the likes of Batistuta, Shearer, Ronaldo, Romario, Del Piero and Raul at the time.

The man's a Liverpool Legend, my favourate player of all time but that doesn't make him better than he actually was. If he got fit now and played as a lone striker in any team that had a player like McManaman used to be or Giggs and with two wing backs who could supply the crosses he'd still get 25 goals a season.

He got 17 in his last season for Liverpool playing in a team which was designed around Owen and Heskey. To me that says it all.

The problem with Fowler ever since he left Liverpool is that people didn't know how to use him, not that he'd "lost it".

Its the same thing now.

i`m not having that mate, there`s no way the fowler of 2001 was anywhere near, never mind better, than the robbie fowler that burst onto the scene in the early to mid 90`s.
the side robbie fowler made his name in was struggling like f@ck, thats why souness put the likes of him and redknapp and marsh in. that side certainly wasnt built to suit fowler.
maybe the evans side that had collymore in it was but even so he never seemed to miss in those days as he did after the injury in the derby.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion