Forthcoming expectations - ,general discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lord Lucan » Thu May 27, 2004 6:04 pm

What are your expectations for the coming season?. Can we really look for improvement in the next twelve months or will we have to endure another  "transitional" period. Will a repeat of this season be acceptable in terms of qualifing for champions league in new managers first year. I personally long to see some entertaining football from 11 players who deserve to wear a red shirt through hunger and determination,and will give their all for the cause, i would accept a champions league spot at this moment in time if i could just be entertained!!!!!!!
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly
Lord Lucan

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu May 27, 2004 6:44 pm

Whats entertaining in your view?

Don't you find hard work, clever marking, oustanding organisation entertaining? ???

Its all part of football. Its all entertaining, if you find football boring you should go and watch something else.

4th place and hopefully a decent cup run.

Anything else with a new manager coming in is simply unrealistic.
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 27, 2004 6:59 pm

fa cup, 2nd place and a run in the Champions league :;):
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu May 27, 2004 7:23 pm

Well we certainly weren't given much entertainment for the past 2 seasons.Then again stu has had a ball,but the rest of us think it was a flat souffle.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby DrLiverpool » Thu May 27, 2004 7:33 pm

There is this exact thread osted by stmicheal I think its called Minimum requirement for next season youll find plenty there that will answer your question.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lord Lucan » Fri May 28, 2004 2:49 pm

Come on stu dont give me hard work,clever marking and outstanding organisation bull. Its been nothing short of dire I wanna see some value for money is that not acceptable? They earn fantastic money to entertain us my friend please dont forget that, i work 10 times harder than they do for 100th of the money and id be sacked in an instant if i didnt perform. so stick your go and watch something else i only want to see our hard earnt cash spent well in entertaining us!!!!!!!!! whats wrong with that?
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly
Lord Lucan

Postby supersub » Fri May 28, 2004 9:09 pm

I agree Lord LUCAN
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 12:46 am

Come on stu dont give me hard work,clever marking and outstanding organisation bull. Its been nothing short of dire I wanna see some value for money is that not acceptable? They earn fantastic money to entertain us my friend please dont forget that, i work 10 times harder than they do for 100th of the money and id be sacked in an instant if i didnt perform. so stick your go and watch something else i only want to see our hard earnt cash spent well in entertaining us!!!!!!!!! whats wrong with that?

My point isn't that though.

I'm simply saying what do you count as entertaining?

When we won the cup treble and finished second the season after i was well entertained.

Infact i was made up. The football we were playing was outstanding most of the time and more importantly we were winning games.

I loved the old style of play. It interested me to watch it work and unfold.
115-1073096938

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat May 29, 2004 12:55 am

the houllier style of play won some trophies, but it would of never won the league, arsenal and man utd have shown attacking football wins things
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lord Lucan » Sat May 29, 2004 3:49 am

just for you stu I wanna see men rampaging down the wings delivering quality crosses for cisse and owen  to score divihg headers volleys etc, full backs over lapping wingers, midfielders making runs past our strikers, push the boat out even a centre half galloping 40 yds up the middle with the ball do you remember the kind of stuff?...........
Lord Lucan

Postby Lord Lucan » Sat May 29, 2004 3:52 am

Oh and stu if you dont want that theres always CHESS that should be tactical enough for you..........lol
Lord Lucan

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 7:12 pm

the houllier style of play won some trophies, but it would of never won the league, arsenal and man utd have shown attacking football wins things

Thats absoloute garbage.

Effective football, having the best players and playing to your strengths wins you titles.

When you don't play to your strengths and try to play attacking football when you don't have the personel you get what happened with Liverpool this season.

Little pace at the back, three hard working midfielders with good defensive qualities and a pacey striker at the other end.

It doesn't make sense to play a high line where players can exploit the lack of pace and it doesn't help pushing small strikers into the box making them live off scraps and crosses rather than through balls where they can exploit there pace.

The fact is its a simple game. If someones quick, make them use it and u'll get the best out of them, if someones clever and creative, give them the ball around the box and let them create.

Its a simple game made hard by idiots.

Great teams play to there strengths.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 7:15 pm

btw i love chess. :)
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 29, 2004 8:23 pm

I think I understand what you're saying Stu . We can appreciate some of the finer points of the game but it doesn't necessarily get us jumping off our seats. I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer to see swift flowing attacking football with a couple of goals (red ones :) ) as a result. Appreciate thats not always possible but would hope that is our aim.
Knight to Bishop 3, I like chess too. :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 30, 2004 1:57 pm

Woof woof my point is look at the side that finished second.

Dudek
Carragher
Henchoz
Hyypia
Riise
Murphy
Gerrard
Hamann
Smicer
Owen
Anelka/Heskey

Of that team. Anelka, Gerrard, Hamann, Hyypia, Dudek were all top class. With only Owen being a world class player.

Compare that to United who had Keane, van Nistlerooy, Beckham, Giggs... then the likes of Scholes aswell.

Now we have Owen and Gerrard who are world class. Gerrard is now twice the player he was. Granted Hamann isn't quite what he was, neither is Henchoz, but the main reason for drop in standards is the change in system.

Had that system not been tinkered with, Anelka signed and Kewell and Finnan added i think we'd be competing for the europian cup rather than a place in it.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion