Ex reds having a go - Well whelan is 1st.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:57 pm

You can be sure all the ex reds will voicing their opinion in the press now....

<<<Perhaps they have not been brought up on the traditions of the cup.>>>

What he means by that ? That, they are not british players ?

Not having a go at whelan by any means..... Still remember the goal he scored in the FA Cup semi-final against portsmouth (when john barns free-kick hit the bar).... We won the FA cup that year.

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtal....00.html

Whelan questions Reds' attitude
19/01/2005 - 14:15:28

Former Liverpool star Ronnie Whelan has questioned the attitude of some of the Anfield players after the FA Cup defeat by Championship side Burnley.

A bizarre own goal from Djimi Traore split the sides at Turf Moor – and left Whelan frustrated.

“Some of the players didn’t look bothered whether they won the game or not. It seemed some did not want to be there,” he told the Liverpool Echo.

“You can talk about the pride of wearing a red shirt, but some just did not want to be playing last night.

“You can’t apportion much blame on the youngsters. They tried as hard as they could.

“You couldn’t question their attitude, but one or two of the older pros need to take a look at themselves.

“The importance of the competition just wasn’t on show. Perhaps they have not been brought up on the traditions of the cup.

“I’m sure the manager (Rafael Benitez) could see it as clearly as I did.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/01/19/story185415.html

Whelan questions Reds' attitude
19/01/2005 - 14:15:28

Former Liverpool star Ronnie Whelan has questioned the attitude of some of the Anfield players after the FA Cup defeat by Championship side Burnley.

A bizarre own goal from Djimi Traore split the sides at Turf Moor – and left Whelan frustrated.

“Some of the players didn’t look bothered whether they won the game or not. It seemed some did not want to be there,” he told the Liverpool Echo.

“You can talk about the pride of wearing a red shirt, but some just did not want to be playing last night.

“You can’t apportion much blame on the youngsters. They tried as hard as they could.

“You couldn’t question their attitude, but one or two of the older pros need to take a look at themselves.

“The importance of the competition just wasn’t on show. Perhaps they have not been brought up on the traditions of the cup.

“I’m sure the manager (Rafael Benitez) could see it as clearly as I did.”
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Rock, you are well wide of the mark if you are going to have a go at a legend like Ronnie lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:39 pm

not having a go at whelan. just noting that he is the 1st ex-red to speak about this. You can be sure the rest will give their opinions soon.

The comment he made about....

<<<Perhaps they have not been brought up on the traditions of the cup.>>>

that is like saying too many foreigners were playing..... He was obviously having a go at hyppia & biscan. I would rather have home-grown players playing too only for the fact that they are fcuking overpriced.....

Like i said.....nothing against whelan. .....wouldn't dream of it as I grew up watching him play.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:18 am

These ex reds were great players who were passionate about the club. It rattles them to see cocky Spanish mercenaries,
not giving a toss about being knocked out of the FA Cup.
Red_Si

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:24 am

Hold up ! exactly how many "spanish mercenaries were playing against Burnly  ???  ???  ??? .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:27 am

woof woof ! wrote:Hold up ! exactly how many "spanish mercenaries were playing against Burnly  ???  ???  ??? .

Hear Hear woof well spotted :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:35 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Hold up ! exactly how many "spanish mercenaries were playing against Burnly  ???  ???  ??? .

Hear Hear woof well spotted :cool:

Ditto

Before you mention Spanish merceneraries read Catalonia by George Orwell

I bumped into Phil Neal last year in a hotel in Cardiff he was down for the masters football, I was there with work and grabbing a sneaky fag I was amazed to see him in the lobby so asked him about the club, I was even more amazed when he went off on a Stu the Red style rant  :D

It just reminds you sometimes it was their job but they love the club as well and like us react to a defeat like we did on the forum on Tuesday night

I wont even begin to tell you what Rushie said about the mancs :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:35 am

Red_Si wrote:These ex reds were great players who were passionate about the club. It rattles them to see cocky Spanish mercenaries,
not giving a toss about being knocked out of the FA Cup.

Only one and he got so frustrated he got himself sent off. I do'nt call that being a passionless mercenary :p
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:57 am

i gotta admit sometimes i think the ex reds go too far with what they say. i dont care how good they were or how big a legend, they should still respect the manager and club as a whole. just my opinion though
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:07 pm

I agree with what Whelan says in that there was a lack of passion from some of the experienced players.

To be honest, I though Biscan was improving - after Tuesday he doesn't deserve to wear a red shirt. There was one point with about 10 minutes to go and he lost the ball by the centre circle - he just gave up and walked!

As for Phil Neal - read Kenny Dalglish's autobiography, becomes apparent that he was bitter when he left LFC.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:08 pm

Also don't think Whelan was critisizing RB, if you watch Whelan on sky sports, he is very supportive of LFC and what is going on there this season.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:11 pm

The height of irony will be the day a now-French-media-friendly Houllier starts opening his mouth.

I hope it doesn't come to that. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby 116-1105728556 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:43 pm

Article in the Guardian "Cracks start to show in Rafulation" touches on the fact that Raf misjudged how important FA cup was to LFC.

The last para says "raf may just have woken up to the fact that Traores was not the only own gaol shipped at Turf Moor".

It goes onto say that he (Raf) should take what he can when he can and for me raises some concerns why others didn't help him on this and advise accordingly.

As I said in one of my previous posting Raf got mixed up with his Carling Cup, FA Cup and his T Cup.

But for me he should come clean and admit the mistake.
116-1105728556

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:55 pm

i dont agree with that, a man of rafas knowledge misunderstanding the importance of the cup, he wanted to give the kids agame, and he stated this well before the tie was played and they let him down

this was a game for the youth to shine and gain experience, they never took that chance
109-1105722616

Postby 116-1105728556 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 pm

Perhaps he misjudged how gritty a cup tie could be, after all he aint been over here long.
116-1105728556

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion