Ex reds having a go - Well whelan is 1st.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:01 pm

I still agree with Rafa, the domestic cups are a sideshow nowdays. Arsenal, Manu and even Bolton treat it as such. The big clubs use it for experiments that they can't try in the league as 3 points is too much to blow.

He needs to suss out how good or rubbish various guys are this season. I wouldn't be surprised if about 6 of them go in the summer.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm

i do think he under estimated what determination can do for a side in the fa cup, with the crowd behind them, being at home, the conditions and traore, it was like having an extra man
:D
109-1105722616

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:09 pm

personally i dont see how giving a bunch of youngsters a couple of 'proper' games a year will do to bring them through...

if we do have any quality in the academy then it shines and finds its way through to the first team anyways (gerrard, owen, fowler...etc)

throwing the towel in on 2 cup competitions is not the way to go imo

especially when recently they have been the only things we are capable of winning, partly due to the fact we havent got the big money of other clubs, and partly due to the fact that when we did have big money it got wasted on mediocre signings

and FA cup win in a year were we may not even get 4th in league may have softened the blow... anyway, im sure a Euro cup win is what Rafas after.. come on you reds! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Ronnie Whelan knows what winning cups is about.  Remember his two goals against Spurs in the '82 milk cup final and his cracker in the final against United the following year.  Also, he lifted the F.A. cup in '89.....Whelan is a Liverpool legend.  I always respect his opinion.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:11 am

The height of irony will be the day a now-French-media-friendly Houllier starts opening his mouth.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

If we lose to saints (god, hope we don't), you can be sure houllier will give his view.  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion