Europa league draw - I know its sh!t but....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 pm

this is a very tricky group we're in. is Hamsik still with Napoli?
and Utrecht do have that 21 year old who scored a hattrick the other day...that striker we're link with? can't remember his name...Van Winkel or something..
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 pm

freddy or franky van winkle, ya I know who you are talking about.  I don't know if he is that talented though.  I think he is a player that has potential, not necessarily a really good player yet.

As long as we play it safe, we should have no problem winning our group.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby radun5 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 pm

I am happy with the draw. I can watch LFC games on TV and hear our pi$$ poor comentators sh8t themselves that Steaua is playing a major European power, point to the fact that Liverpool has expensive players and :censored: like that.

We will get 6 points against Steaua, and I am sure we will qualify.

For those dismissing this cup - get a grip, it might be our best shot at silverware this year. To me, it's a competition we're in, so why not go and try to win it ?

I know it's early and all but this is my 2 cents on it.
radun5

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Liverpool Echo 3/9/2010
Get the lowdown on Liverpool FC's Europa League group stage opponents
Sep 3 2010 By Sean Bradbury

With Liverpool's Europa League campaign less than a fortnight away, we have contacted experts from Italy, Romania and Holland to get some insider insights on the Reds' group stage opponents.

Hodgson's men play Napoli in back-to-back Europa League ties, in Italy on 21 October and in Liverpool on 4 November. Paolo Mancini is a dedicated Napoli supporter who blogs about the club on his website - http://napoliblogger.tumblr.com/

What are Napoli's expectations for the Europa League?

Paolo: The fact Napoli are playing Europa League football is a minor miracle. Being declared bankrupt in 2004 and then made to start afresh in the third tier of Italian football, many of us thought we would never see European nights in Naples for years. Yet here we are in the group stage of the Europa League, a dream for many fans and the players especially after getting beat in a UEFA Cup qualifier in 2008 by Benfica.

Being former winners of the UEFA Cup we feel a duty to give it our best shot. The squad isn't too deep so we will pretty much be sending our strongest side out to play. We want to go as far as possible, not only to prove to ourselves we belong in Europe but to show everyone watching that Napoli is back.

The club hierarchy, however, do not view the Europa League highly. It has been a long held ambition of club patron and movie mogul Aurelio De Laurentis to get Napoli into the Champions League saying recently, "the Europa League is worthless".

Liverpool and Steaua are two famous names that wouldn't look out of place in the Champions League, so getting out of the group is going to be tough. If we can do that then I can see us getting to the last 16.

Who are Napoli's dangermen?

We possess a number of attacking threats. We have recently signed Uruguayan World Cup striker Edinson Cavani. He scored two goals on his first full debut against Elfsborg. He will be used as the main striker - he is big and powerful but also technically gifted.

Besides him we have Argentine international Ezequiel Lavezzi, a stocky secondary striker similar in build to Carlos Tevez. He likes to works the flanks and cut inside, he has a few tricks up his sleeve also and draws fouls from defenders.

We have Slovakia star Marek Hamsik, a midfielder very similar to Frank Lampard. He is an excellent passer of the ball and has a habit of arriving late into the box to connect with any crosses. For a midfielder he scores lots of goals.

What are Napoli's main weaknesses?

Our main weakness is the central defence. We usually play with three central defenders, Paolo Cannavaro is one of those - Fabio's brother. He is solid Serie A defender but his positioning is suspect and he is also prone to giving away penalties.

Our other central defenders looked exposed against Elfsborg and if we were playing better opposition would have got punished.

Our other weakness is our lack of depth the squad, we don't have quality replacements for our strikers especially after we just sold fan favourite and Italy international Fabio Quagliarella to Juventus, a move which has not gone down well in Naples.

What style of football can Liverpool expect from Napoli?

Napoli tend to play 3-4-3 or a variation of this (3-4-1-2). We are setup to play on the counter attack, our two holding midfielders will look to break the play up and then get the ball from back to front as quick as possible using the pace of Lavezzi and Hamsik.

Our wing-backs like to get forward too so don't be surprised to see a now slimline Andrea Dossena flying down the left wing - yes, he is looking decent!!
What is your prediction for the group?

1) Liverpool
2) Napoli
3) Steaua Bucharest
4) FC Utrech
Steaua Bucharest are Liverpool's first Europa League group stage opponents, at Anfield on 16 September. The away fixture takes place on 2 December. As a journalist and football scout in Romania, Radu Baicu knows the score on Steaua. Read his insights into Romanian football on his blog - http://scoutingromania.wordpress.com/

What are Steaua's expectations for the Europa League?

Radu: The competition is a priority. Steaua often acted very professional in Europe (they do have some pedigree). In fact this is the only Romanian club that in the long run got good results and avoided those shameful ones - their rivals, Dinamo, are way better at messing up in Europe!

But, seeing the group, they're aware of the slim chances to go through - aiming for the third spot, but dreaming of the second. Expect a motivated team and a hot crowd - this team will fight, that's for sure.

Who are Steaua's dangermen?

The trio behind the lone striker - Dumitrescu likes the 4-2-3-1 - who is a certain Kapetanos. He played with Greece at the World Cup, is a handful with his size and intelligence and boasts a lot of quality.

Bogdan Stancu is in great form, a natural striker who seems to have adjusted to this position - playing behind the centre-forward. He scores regularly this season, is a threat from distance, but also from inside the box, great anticipation, has skill on the ball and was expected for two years or so to turn into the real deal. Well, if he goes on like this, he'll leave for a lot of cash and move to a big club.

On the left there's Cristian Tanase, a talented midfielder who'll be cutting inside a lot and looking for the killer ball, nice vision and skill on the ball, while on the right there's a discussion whether Banel Nicolita will be given a chance to come back into the team or the youngster Radut (talented, but not quite ready for top matches) will continue to play on a regular basis.

Oh, and do watch out for the left back Latovlevic, who gets forward with pace!

What are Steaua's main weaknesses?

Well, the simple fact that Steaua bought such an important number of players this summer speaks for itself. The defence looks shaky, with quite slow centre-backs, while the much praised Tatarusanu left me the impression that he could go from great to terrible in the blink of an eye.

What style of football can Liverpool expect from Steaua?

Steaua usually plays 4-2-3-1, with two classic defensive midfielders and a direct style, obivously more offensive when playing at home - which won't happen against Liverpool though, unless and until Steaua is trailing.

They'll probably think of the draw as the most honorable result in both matches, but so far Dumitrescu proved that he's a bit too cautious and even against average opposition, he'll attack until he scores the first, changing the tactics and the gameplan afterwards in order to secure the result.

1) Liverpool
2) Napoli
3) Steaua Bucharest
4) FC Utrecht
Get the lowdown on Liverpool FC's Europa League group stage opponents
Sep 3 2010 By Sean Bradbury

Add a comment
Recommend (1)
previous 1 2 3
Liverpool play FC Utrecht - Dirk Kuyt's first senior club - away on 30 September and then at Anfield in the final group game on 15 December. The Dutch side beat Celtic in the final qualifying round to progress to the Europa League proper. Passionate FC Utrecht fan Arjan runs a club fansite which can be found here - www.fcutrechtnieuwegein.com

What are Utrecht's expectations for the Europa League?

Arjan: Soccer in Europe is great for Utrecht's money. They naturally want to go as far as possible, but it is an additional burden on the Dutch league - our squad is not very big and many games often cost injuries.

We want to get European football next season - that is the target.

Who are Utrecht's dangermen?

Ricky van Wolfswinkel (striker) and Dries Mertens (attacking midfielder) are the best and most dangerous players of Utrecht. Van Wolfswikel has now scored six goals in the Europa League - he scored 3 of the 4 goals against Celtic.

Also Nana Asare (midfielder) is a great player, he is getting better and better.

What are Utrecht's main weaknesses?

We're currently missing an extra striker - unfortunately there is no money. And I think that Kuyt knows everything about "his" Utrecht!

What style of football can Liverpool expect from Utrecht?

Utrecht play attacking football, always with the nose to the goal! Most of the time we play 4-4-2 with full-backs pushing up. But when Utrecht need points to go further in Europe, then I think we will play more defensive.

1) Liverpool
2) FC Utrecht
3) Steaua Bucharest
4) Napoli

Interesting piece  for those fans who have a genuine interest in this Competition and its value
I suppose Napoli and Ultrecht will provide the main threat ...but then Steaua's also have a certain pedigree
anyway cant wait for these matches I just hope the manager realises that as a   knockout competition it is only second to the Champions League in esteem
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pippocchio » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 am

Dear all...I understood that you don't have a great impression of Dossena...but it seems that Naples it's only Dossena...
...we could think the same for your team if we take in consideration that before this season you had in your rank Aquilani...really broken player...and that last year you didn't have the best season of your history...
...but we know what is Liverpool for world soccer history...and we know what is Anfiled...and what are the reds shirts on  the ground...but....but......we have also other player in our team...Hamsik...Lavezzi...Gargano...Cavani...Maggio...but our power point it's the teampower...

...I've a question...we bought Yebda this year...and he plaied for Portsmouh last ear...somebody of you konw him???...How he is?...

see you in Liverpool!!! ;)
Last edited by pippocchio on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
pippocchio

Postby ethanr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:59 am

pippocchio wrote:Dear all...I understood that you don't have a great impression of Dossena...but it seems that Naples it's only Dossena...
...we could think the same for your team if we take in consideration that before this season you had in your rank Aquilani...really broken player...and that last year you didn't have the best season of your history...
...but we know what is Liverpool for world soccer history...and we know what is Anfiled...and what are the reds shirts on  the ground...but....but......we have also other player in our team...Hamsik...Lavezzi...Gargano...Cavani...Maggio...but our power point it's the teampower...

...I've a question...we bought Yebda this year...and he plaied for Portsmouh last ear...somebody of you konw him???...How he is?...

Many of us, including myself, believe that Napoli will advance in Europa as well, so no harm there.

Yebda... well he played for Portsmouth who were horrible so nothing to promise there.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:01 am

ethanr wrote:freddy or franky van winkle, ya I know who you are talking about

It's Ricky van wolfswinkel...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pippocchio » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

ethanr wrote:
pippocchio wrote:Dear all...I understood that you don't have a great impression of Dossena...but it seems that Naples it's only Dossena...

Many of us, including myself, believe that Napoli will advance in Europa as well, so no harm there.

Yebda... well he played for Portsmouth who were horrible so nothing to promise there.

Thanks for your reply...
...sorry for my english but I read before in some forum that Naples= Dossena's team...and I understood that for you we are really horrible team...

I don't have many hopes regarding this group because I think that Steaua and Uthrect will be very strong at home...but at the same time if we will win this two match at Naples and one away against Steaua or Uthrecht we will have great chance to pass the group...

...what do you think regarding Liverpool this year...I saw first match against Arsenal and only Pepe Reina give a great present to Gunners...
pippocchio

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:21 am

Liverpool and Inter in the final...
Thommo's perm

Postby In and Out » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:45 am

Thommo's perm wrote:Liverpool and Inter in the final...

Then we'd really see the blue half of Liverpool baying for an Inter win. 
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 am

In and Out wrote:

let it go mate, let it go... :)
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:59 am

maguskwt wrote:
In and Out wrote:

You what?

You don't think Everton would be cheering the 'fat Spanish waiter' on?
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 am

In and Out wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
In and Out wrote:

You what?

That  would be a bit of a catch 22 for the blueshi.ite . Think they'd be made up to see us lose more than anythink else mind you .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:08 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
In and Out wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
In and Out wrote:

You what?

That  would be a bit of a catch 22 for the blueshi.ite . Think they'd be made up to see us lose more than anythink else mind you .

That's what I'd had thought too.
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby rotnic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

From Ploiesti, Romania:

only one team in my heart - Liverpool.

My bro just maried this wk. Some friend stole the bride and to give him back he sing YNWA.
:)
un cormoran
rotnic

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion