End of Season Assessment - how did we fare?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Kenny Kan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:12 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 am wrote:Why wasnt Kenny that man ?

Just because the owners wanted a younger person ( owners who know little about the sport )

Kenny wasn't given a full chance to show he can add to his list of trophies won as a manager.

If there was a DoF in place or someone who actually knows the game when they were making these choices then I would have more confidence but they are money/business men making football choices.

BR is young and has ideas but they are very much unproven with minimal track record of success. It's putting a lot of faith into something that isn't proven to work in the prem - it's putting a lot of faith into someone who hasn't proven himself. That's not the sort of management structure I want in place at the club - there is no one there where you can feel confident about. That worries me -

So your beef is in actual fact with the owners and until otherwise you're going to go round these boards and take it out on Rodgers. Great.

My "beef" as you call it,  is down to the full management structure including the manager.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Oh well. Could you at least not try and poison every thread you post in because of it - it's tiring, try something constructive - for once.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Ill continue to post my opinion where I see fit unless a moderator tells me what I'm posting is inappropriate.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Wed May 22, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby redno7 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 pm

what a bell end
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 3:55 pm

babu » Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm wrote:
redno7 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 am wrote:Kenny wasn't that man at all. His managerial style was totally different to what we should be aiming for. It was clear for all to see.

this is the most I have posted in a single day for the last several years, but Red, its comments like this that keep the endless debate going. Blanket statements that assume all agree. I guarantee your post will be pounced on and twisted.

Long may Kenny be a part of the club, in spirit or otherwise. He is not our manager now, nor does he want to be (as far as I know).

The opinion on Kenny not being right for the job or the right man is not an opinion that is shared by the majority I believe - a lot people ( especially match goers ) held a belief that Kenny proved he was the man by actually providing us with with what we wanted - a trophy and into Europe. Many fans ( from what I have witnessed ) valued winning trophies quite high.

Some didnt think Kenny was up to the job ( including our owners , who admitted to not knowing about the sport ) but it was far from anywhere near a majority.
Benny The Noon

Postby redno7 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:58 pm

I feel we faired OK this season. We certainly laid the path for a promising season next season with 2 or 3 new faces to come in.

Highlights for me...

destroying Newcastle 0 - 6
destroying Norwich - TWICE
Signing Sturridge and Courtinho

Lowlights...

Losing to those teams we outplayed but didn't take our chances.
Suarez having a nibble
Carra retiring and not joining our training staff
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

I was convinced that KK was the right man for the job especially after Hodgon had done so badly
Sadly, those who said he'd been of the game too long and had lost touch were right and it was absolutely correct that he leave. At the time I personally would have given him another season, but I'm glad he went and Rodgers has taken over.
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Wed May 22, 2013 5:45 pm

I think we finished in a position we expected deep down though you always hope to be
surprised.

We just blooded the young kids the first half of the season and only had one striker so
to end up better off points wise than last year was a success of sorts and I suspect on
a wage budget inferior to previous campaigns.

I do enjoy the way we play these days but its mostly about players and if we make
the right decisions this summer then I don't think a good crack at 4th is a massive
stretch for us and certainly the expectation will be to be in the mix.

Personally I have enjoyed Rodgers work overall and though he has made mistakes
he should grow himself next year and become an improved manager with his first
campaign under his belt.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm

BR won 3 of his first 14 games of the season and 7 of his last 14 games of the season. BR also increased our points tally over the previous season by 9. That actually equates to an increase of 17% which is impressive for a first season especially with what he had at his disposal when he arrived. Suarez last season struggled to score goals - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR LUIS'S  MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT IN THAT IMPORTANT AREA. Henderson has also improved beyond recognition - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR HENDO'S MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Downing after a serious kick up the backside has actually made a contribution which he certainly didn't do for his first 15 months at Liverpool - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR DOWNING'S MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. The arrival of Sturridge and the phenomenal Courtinho have made a difference to the team that hasn't been seen for sometime - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR THOSE TWO SIGNINGS. Yes the cup runs we're disappointing but only a complete muppet would argue that BR hasn't made steps in the right direction and improved the team and the style of play.

Oh fk it let's sack BR and bring back Kenny or Rafa................  :help Michael Owen is also available to be dragged out of retirement..... I fkg dispair at some of the garbage that is written on this forum.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 pm

No one has said sack BR and bring in Kenny ?

People have given their opinion - one they are entitled to give

People have higher standards and expectations for the club - standards they feel they are entitled to have

People would like to see better at the club management - they are entitled to feel that way

Free thinking and opinion. No one tells you that your opinion is "garbage"
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 am

Benny The Noon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm wrote:No one has said sack BR and bring in Kenny ?

People have given their opinion - one they are entitled to give

People have higher standards and expectations for the club - standards they feel they are entitled to have

People would like to see better at the club management - they are entitled to feel that way

Free thinking and opinion. No one tells you that your opinion is "garbage"

Your opinion is garbage.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 am

:laugh:

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 am

devaney » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm wrote:BR won 3 of his first 14 games of the season and 7 of his last 14 games of the season. BR also increased our points tally over the previous season by 9. That actually equates to an increase of 17% which is impressive for a first season especially with what he had at his disposal when he arrived. Suarez last season struggled to score goals - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR LUIS'S  MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT IN THAT IMPORTANT AREA. Henderson has also improved beyond recognition - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR HENDO'S MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Downing after a serious kick up the backside has actually made a contribution which he certainly didn't do for his first 15 months at Liverpool - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR DOWNING'S MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. The arrival of Sturridge and the phenomenal Courtinho have made a difference to the team that hasn't been seen for sometime - I THINK IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO GIVE BR SOME CREDIT FOR THOSE TWO SIGNINGS. Yes the cup runs we're disappointing but only a complete muppet would argue that BR hasn't made steps in the right direction and improved the team and the style of play.

Oh fk it let's sack BR and bring back Kenny or Rafa................  :help Michael Owen is also available to be dragged out of retirement..... I fkg dispair at some of the garbage that is written on this forum.

:laugh:  me too.

I don't post as much anymore as the people I am replying to are absolute f*ckwits.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu May 23, 2013 4:01 am

I feel we achieved what I was expecting us to achieve at the end of the 2012/2013 season. I never really had high expectations just because of the transition in having a brand new inexperienced manager coming in. Personally I think we should have gone with experience but a lot of you have mentioned "why would any World Class manager take the job at Liverpool" with no CL and no sugar daddy paying for player purchases and massive transfers, which I totally agree with. That and obviously the owner's mentality in bringing in a young manager to re-build the club from the bottom up.

From August onwards I never for once thought that we were going to get 4th with the likes of Allen and Borini coming into our side. If you had a look at our squad back then and compared to the likes of Manure, Sh.ity, Cheatski, the Gooners and Spuds you would be mad to think we could compete with them for a top 4 spot, absoulately mad! We got off to a rather lacklaster start and at times felt that Rodgers should keep his mouth shut with all this philosphy and cliches rubbish being sprouted to the media, something which he has improved on dramatically.

Reflecting back now the purchases of Sturridge and Coutinho literally saved Rodgers career at Liverpool. We had a dramatic turn of form when they came in and looked much much to harder to beat. I think that stats back up what I am saying. For that he deserves another season and I think that Rodgers may have turned the corner in purchases and am hoping he gets it right during the summer transfer window. 

That being said, we need someone to have a look at his shopping list early on. I don't want to see the names Ashley Williams, Michael Vorm or Michu being bandied about. If this is the case someone senior needs to sit with him and have a stern heart to heart. Listen Brendan, that s**t was barely acceptable in your first season, we certainly won't tolerate that nonsense in Season 2. You do the hard work now mate, you speak to you scouts, spend hours researching and evaluating potential players outside your networks and spread the nets far and wide. With what is being rumoured (in terms of players possibly signing) I think we are heading in the right direction, but Brendan needs to be on his toes and keep building not floating.

From next season onwards, he needs to backed with reasonable funds to bring in some key signings and won't tolerate anymore "financial constraints" bs from our owners. If we are going to challenge the Gooners and Spuds for fourth these signings also need to be spot on. I am hoping Bale leaves because that may potentially remove them out of the equation and feel the Wenger has only 1 or 2 more seasons left in the tank.  It is absoulately paramount that we keep Suarez and Coutinho in our side, if we can add someone like Eriksen we will be a forced to be reckoned with. Either way for one reason or another I am feeling a little bit more optimistic (than I have in a long, long time) that we can build on this season and get fourth next season.  :)
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby killerp » Thu May 23, 2013 4:16 am

Thommo's perm » Wed May 22, 2013 4:05 pm wrote:I was convinced that KK was the right man for the job especially after Hodgon had done so badly
Sadly, those who said he'd been of the game too long and had lost touch were right and it was absolutely correct that he leave. At the time I personally would have given him another season, but I'm glad he went and Rodgers has taken over.
:nod

Sad but true, Kenny was totally out of touch with modern football. If we took on Rodgers right after Woy got the boot we might be in the CL right now.
killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion