Early impressions - For ****** sake

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 pm

So if everyone starts with a clean slate, presumeably we stick Kuyt back up top for game number one next season John? We offer Kewell a new contract as what has gone before is wiped clean?

Now I know that's not what you are saying, but it is the logical progression of your stance. It would be lovely if the fans could give Voronin a standing ovation when he comes on to replace Torres with ten minutes left of our opening league game while we are drawing 1-1 "I know he was sh!te last season lads but feck it, that's all been wiped off by the Summer break, come on Andrej!!!!!". Call me a cynic though but I just can't see it.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed May 07, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed May 07, 2008 10:33 pm

:laugh: mick

smart arse

no, obviously I wouldn't put Kuyt back up front, but if he is put up there then I won't be complaining about this year's form. If he's put up front for our opening game against Wigan (that's my bet) then it's another chance for him up top. Lets not forget in his first year he scored 12 in the league from starting up top. This year he scored three in the league from starting up top. If he starts back up top then we have to believe he has it in him to score from there. I for one won't be moaning about three goals this year once next season starts. Next season is a fresh chance for Kuyt and everybody else contracted to the club (thankfully that doesn't include Kewell)

Next season the slate is clean for those at the club. But I can see it already if Voronin comes on for Torres with ten mins to go when it's 1-1 with Wigan and scores the winner, he still won't be praised because of this year's form. Just like if Torres for some reason can't hit a barn door next year the majority will find it hard to moan because he's been so good this year. That's the point I'm making which you probably could see. This season counts for nothing in the 2008-09 season. Does Torres' 30 goals in 07-08 gain us extra points in 08-09? Does Voronin's poor performances in 07-08 cost us points in 08-09? No they don't because it's an entirely new season and everybody has to prove their worth a slot in the starting side.

There's some who've proven in past seasons that they aren't worth risking in future seasons. That's not to say that the future season won't be their season, but the risk is to high. Kewell/Voronin/Kuyt (for me) Aurelio (for me) Riise (this season) Lucas (for me) are a few who it's a risk to give another season to, but if Benitez takes the risk and plays these lads, then they will be judged throughout next season on next season's perfomances. On the other hand the likes of Gerrard/Carra/Reina/Crouch/Mascherano/Alonso/Agger/Torres who it's a safe bet will be our best players again must still show that and can't coast through next season based on past year's performances.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby nobybob » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Next year every player in the squad has to prove that they are good enough for a place in the starting eleven. This season, last season and every other past season counts for nothing once the new season starts. It's a new season, new players, new challenges and therefore everybody starts with a clean slate.

does the same apply to the manager in your opinion GBJH?

Or even G&H if they are still here :(
nobybob

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu May 08, 2008 12:18 am

yes noby. Benitez can't live off the success in Istanbul, he has to prove his worth again. He did in 06 by winning the FA Cup. He did in 07 by reaching the european cup final but this season we've won nothing, got to no finals and will be a long way behind the champions so he's really got to prove his worth next year. For me he hasn't proved his worth enough because we haven't won the league but it's a long process to winning the title.

As for the yanks, then they too have to prove their worthy of being part of Liverpool Football Club. Something they haven't done to well as of yet, but they're here so I want them to succeed because it'll mean Liverpool Football Club succeeding.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:yes noby. Benitez can't live off the success in Istanbul, he has to prove his worth again. He did in 06 by winning the FA Cup. He did in 07 by reaching the european cup final but this season we've won nothing, got to no finals and will be a long way behind the champions so he's really got to prove his worth next year. For me he hasn't proved his worth enough because we haven't won the league but it's a long process to winning the title.

As for the yanks, then they too have to prove their worthy of being part of Liverpool Football Club. Something they haven't done to well as of yet, but they're here so I want them to succeed because it'll mean Liverpool Football Club succeeding.

:buttrock  :bowdown     oh wait it was a GBJH post      :help

:D
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion