Diao against everton

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:26 pm

I, as much as anybody else, dont like it when i see Diao in the starting line-up. i was prepared to give him a chance at the start of the season, as he hadnt played that much under Houllier and looked as though there still may be promise.
but he hasnt done himself any favours as his displays this season also have been less than convincing.

there's one thing that doesnt sit quite right with me though, and that is, that after the Derby defeat, people got on Rafa's back a bit for playing Diao. again, dont get me wrong, when i seen his name in the team-sheet, my face was one of shock horror. But, anyone who watched the game, cant honestly say that 1) we didnt have the upper hand in the first half
2) that it was down to Diaos's presence in midfield.

i'm sorry, but Diao's inclusion in the midfield gave us the bite we needed for that game. we controlled the first half because of it. and i actually think it was an astute decision by Benitez.

the point of this post isnt to defend Diao, but to defend Benitez. i dont think Alonso would have fared well in that game to be honest, and we needed some roughness in there, which Diao gave.

thoughts?
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:33 pm

worse, alonso could have broken his leg against those blue sh1ts.

Fcuking gravason & carsley. Both of them look like doctor evil.......
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Devestatin Dave (yeah) » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:38 pm

Ji mgot to disagree mate but thats what the forums all about, different opinions, and i thought the derby was by far the lamest derby i have evr seen there was no bite from anyone and Alonso would have basked in playing in such an open midfield, how many times did pongolle, kewell and diao get the ball and all u wanted them to do was a 15 yard killer pass to put a player threw but they couldnt do it, id go as far to say we would have won that game if Alonso would have played and the decision to play Diao was farcical....But thats just my opinion, in fact Diao is fu*king woeful and i hope he never plays for Liverpool again cos ive got mates and know players better then Diao and thats at Sunday league level, hes by far the biggest pile of ****** ive seen pull on the red shirt since Jean Michel Ferri! Just thought id get that in why there is still a thread about Diao cos he makes my blood boil hes that bad.
Devestatin Dave (yeah)

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:41 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:the point of this post isnt to defend Diao, but to defend Benitez. i dont think Alonso would have fared well in that game to be honest, and we needed some roughness in there, which Diao gave.

thoughts?

good post jim. it does appear that diao has become somewhat of a scapegoat to most liverpool fans. i don't rate the guy but against everton he was no worse than the majority of other players on our team.

what i didn't like though was rafa saying that diao played because alonso "needed resting". this whole notion of "tiredness" is the one thing which really p#sses me off in the modern game, especially when managers come out with it. we had just had our most important win of the season and alonso should have been banging down the managers door demanding to know why he was left out. you don't change a winning team.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:41 pm

Devestatin Dave (yeah) wrote:Ji mgot to disagree mate but thats what the forums all about, different opinions, and i thought the derby was by far the lamest derby i have evr seen there was no bite from anyone and Alonso would have basked in playing in such an open midfield, how many times did pongolle, kewell and diao get the ball and all u wanted them to do was a 15 yard killer pass to put a player threw but they couldnt do it, id go as far to say we would have won that game if Alonso would have played and the decision to play Diao was farcical....But thats just my opinion, in fact Diao is fu*king woeful and i hope he never plays for Liverpool again cos ive got mates and know players better then Diao and thats at Sunday league level, hes by far the biggest pile of ****** ive seen pull on the red shirt since Jean Michel Ferri! Just thought id get that in why there is still a thread about Diao cos he makes my blood boil hes that bad.

i agree with most of what you say, but thats what i think blinds people from seeing what really went on in the derby, which was, though it was a scrappy, un-attractive game (always going to be), which was only gonna be won by grit (due to the way Everton chose to play) Diao's inclusion was correct.

i do admit sometimes even his grit is...well...sh*t. cos sometimes all he does is foul,. but not in the derby.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:42 pm

Diao played great in the derby, put in some great tackles and cut them off in the middle, even though I wouldnt want to see him play regulary in the first team, and maybe he needs to be put in the shop window for other teams to show interest in him.
Rafas decition to drop Alonso was correct as if Gerrard and Xabi would have gone injured we would have been f#cked my only critism that day was playing Josemi instaed of Finnan.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:43 pm

We lost becos baros did not play. not becos of diao.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redman25 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:46 pm

Jim I see your point, however I do feel you dont leave you best players out of a team.  The game in my opinion was a scrappy affair.  Stevie played high up the park behind mellor I just felt the distribution from Diao and Hamman wasnt good enough.  No disrespect to them they are not that type of player.  If xabi had played we might of kept possesion more.
redman25

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:48 pm

stmichael wrote:[

what i didn't like though was rafa saying that diao played because alonso "needed resting". this whole notion of "tiredness" is the one thing which really p#sses me off in the modern game, especially when managers come out with it. we had just had our most important win of the season and alonso should have been banging down the managers door demanding to know why he was left out. you don't change a winning team.

i admit i dont like the "tired" thing but i suspect he was actually sayin that to cover his actual choice of Diao, which in all honesty i belive he preferred due to his merits.
like i say, i think it worked in the first half.
LFC Super Member

Postby redman25 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:50 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Diao played great in the derby, put in some great tackles and cut them off in the middle, even though I wouldnt want to see him play regulary in the first team, and maybe he needs to be put in the shop window for other teams to show interest in him.
Rafas decition to drop Alonso was correct as if Gerrard and Xabi would have gone injured we would have been f#cked my only critism that day was playing Josemi instaed of Finnan.

cisse sorry but its part and parcel of the game.  We cant leave players out in fear of them getting injured.
redman25

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:51 pm

speaking of central midfielders, is biscan injured? he's played above himself this season. against deportivo away i thought i was watching zidane at times. ???  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:52 pm

That I know, but imagine the worst case senario Diao in midfield for months cause our 2 best midfielders are injured ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:53 pm

Igor hasnt been seen since he clashed into the advertising boards ???

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:53 pm

i think that's what the debate is revolving around - "playing yer best players" versus "playing the particular players for the game."

i for one believe you should field your strongest eleven - MOST OF THE TIME. it used to p*ss me off when Houllier chopped and changed all the time, this was givin the oppostion too much respect, you know, playin against their advantages, rather than playin FOR ours.

but the Derby this season, with the team Everton have, i dont believe Alonso would have functioned as well as we say he would, and Diao did.
LFC Super Member

Postby redman25 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:54 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:That I know, but imagine the worst case senario Diao in midfield for months cause our 2 best midfielders are injured ???

yeah but that can happen in every game we play in.
redman25

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion