DAMIEN PLESSIS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 pm

No doubt Plessis' performance will be discussed in the match thread but I think this lad deserves a thread of his own.

I mentioned a few weeks back that Insua and Nemeth have been the stand-out players in the reserves as far as I'm concerned but I also said I liked this lad Plessis and that he could turn out to be a decent player.  He has been very solid at reserve team level, shields the defence well and makes good use of the ball, without doing anything spectacular.

Today he performed very well against Arsenal.  Positionally he was sound, showed he is willing to put in a hard challenge and also showed he can pass a football.  The most encouraging thing however, is that he was always willing to receive the ball under pressure - I think this is something that all good midfield players can do.

I am not going to go overboard on the lad, as a few posters (myself included) were guilty of doing when Sissoko first came into the side, but I think it is instantly obvious that this kid is already a better footballer than Sissoko.  I am delighted that he has taken his chance well, it might just save us a few quid in the transfer market if as expected Alonso leaves the club in the not too distant future.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Technically very very good.
puroresu

Postby azhan00 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:05 pm

good performance considering this is his debut and playing against arsenal....

hope he will learn more and more from the likes of alonso and mascherano to become a very very good holding midfielder for liverpool :)
azhan00

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Along with Crouch he was MOTM. Neat passes and some crunching tackles. I'd like to see him in the side in future if today's anything to go on.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Did well given that this was his senior debut in the prem , deffo a good prospect.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mart » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Very good prospect.
Our reserves are looking better and better.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Bretc » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:36 pm

Wonderful debut performance from Plessis. I didn't even know who he was until I saw his name in the line-up. My 1st thought was - " :censored:! this guy is going to be overwhelmed by the likes of Fabregas! But I was surprised and impressed by his composure and skills as the match went on, especially his passing ability. He reminds me of Jamie Redknapp, only that he's physically stronger and faster.

If this is the kind of player that our reserve team of youngsters is capable of churning out, then we'll be having a potentially great team 3 years down the road!
Bretc

Postby Sabre » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Kind of midfielder is fashionable in Europe these days, tall, around 1.90 m height, physically powerful, but technically better gifted than Sissoko. Left footed, very composed in his debut, good game in the unsung tasks.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Certainly one for the future. Hard working, very technical and full of energy. With players like that, it's no wonder that our reserves are doing so well. Hopefully this is the start of Rafa's young'uns really proving their worth (other than Lucas I mean). The only annoying thing is his position. WHy do we have so many good central midfielders!? It certainly isn't a bad thing, but a bit of variety would be nice. He's going to have his work cut out trying to get any sort of lengthy first team action with Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso and Lucas in front of him. Still, good luck to him. He shows some promise, but we've said that about alot of players who have gone on to do very little.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Was pleased to see some good, accurate passes and demonstrated  ability to tackle well.

Maybe a bit of nerves with a couple of scuffed clearances that turned the ball over in dangerous situations, but can be overlooked given his senior debut against a top-quality side.

Played a holding role and generally didn't run much, so cannot determine yet if he can run fast when needed.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:22 pm

john craig wrote:The most encouraging thing however, is that he was always willing to receive the ball under pressure - I think this is something that all good midfield players can do.

:nod

Too right mate, thats what I wanted to see, he recieved the ball and didn't panic at all, he held it well and then passed. His touch is fantastic too and his passing is very good (maybe he got 2 or 3 stray passes, but some of his passes were really good and showed some intelligence). He looked really comfortable on the ball. Yes he is a good player.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I think this was a baptism of fire for the young lad. He's a defensive midfielder, playing against one of the most atacking teams in the world, and he did great. He showed immense maturity on the ball, he didn't panic and he distributed well. A+ for the lad.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Call me paranoid but when Damien ran onto the pitch I swear I heard a choir sing REPTUS....DOMINUS....SATANUS......DOMINUS!!!!!
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:50 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Call me paranoid but when Damien ran onto the pitch I swear I heard a choir sing REPTUS....DOMINUS....SATANUS......DOMINUS!!!!!

You are one crazy paranoid person  :p  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm

While watching this game, when the commentator said "Great clearance by Plessis" I thought...."I wonder where Wenger signed him from?"

Then I noticed he was a LFC player.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion