Cisse is are best striker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:13 pm

It's probably true to say that at the moment Cisse looks our most "likely" striker. Unfortunately, thats probably one of the reasons we are 30 or so points off the pace in the Prem. I've praised and stood up for Baros in the past but I thought he was very very poor in midweek.
What does it for me is when we get the ball out wide. Take a gamble Milan, pick a post. Attack the near at pace or drift onto the back stick. Maybe even attack near then drift off a couple of paces or am I asking too much here. But to stand and watch as balls fly accross the edge of the six yard box seems criminal to me for a top line striker. Where is the awareness, the cunning?
Good strikers who are not Henri (can't really include him because he's a bit freaky, scores non-striker goals almost exclusively) usually look like they are goalscorers if you really look. Not for them the wait on the near-post, they arrive last minute at 100 miles an hour to get the touch. Similarly, when going back stick they go front first to draw the marker then backtrack a couple of paces. If you know what you are looking at it's easy to see. Equally, when it's not happening which it clearly isn't from Milan at the moment, the player in question doesn't even look like scoring.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:15 pm

morientes_gerrard wrote:vision with intelligence,

Are we watching the same player?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:27 pm

bigmick wrote:It's probably true to say that at the moment Cisse looks our most "likely" striker. Unfortunately, thats probably one of the reasons we are 30 or so points off the pace in the Prem. I've praised and stood up for Baros in the past but I thought he was very very poor in midweek.
What does it for me is when we get the ball out wide. Take a gamble Milan, pick a post. Attack the near at pace or drift onto the back stick. Maybe even attack near then drift off a couple of paces or am I asking too much here. But to stand and watch as balls fly accross the edge of the six yard box seems criminal to me for a top line striker. Where is the awareness, the cunning?
Good strikers who are not Henri (can't really include him because he's a bit freaky, scores non-striker goals almost exclusively) usually look like they are goalscorers if you really look. Not for them the wait on the near-post, they arrive last minute at 100 miles an hour to get the touch. Similarly, when going back stick they go front first to draw the marker then backtrack a couple of paces. If you know what you are looking at it's easy to see. Equally, when it's not happening which it clearly isn't from Milan at the moment, the player in question doesn't even look like scoring.

Some good points mick

It is frustrating that baros doesn't attack the ball more in the box, but i don't think that will ever be a part of his game, much like with henry as you pointed out

He just needs to play to his strengths, which are great energy and his ability to create chances for himself.  This is why i would keep baros, because we don't have another forward who can create chances for themselves, both morientes and cisse will need good service to score.
This makes him ideally suited to playing up front on his own and depending on the opposition and circumstances, we may need to do that on occasion.

Ok, its not happening for baros at the moment, but lets remember this is his first season of getting a regular game for us.  He was wasted under houllier who slowed his improvement and lets also not forget its not that long since baros was the one with the broken leg. Add to this the fact that he is still young and will get better

If there had not been so much pressure on baros this season with all our other strikers being crocked/cup-tied then there would have been opportunities to rest him and get the best out of him when needed.  If he stays he will improve again next season (unfortunately i think rafa will sell him)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:36 pm

john craig wrote:I hardly think that 15 mins against chelsea proves cisse is our best striker.  He looked quick but his first touch is still dodgy and he loses possession a lot.  Cisse still has to prove himself as he did not exactly look brilliant before he got injured either for me.

I still think he and morientes will come good next season but baros is our best striker at this moment in time

You must be joking!!...baros our best striker :laugh: ..2 goals in 19 games! does that not tell you something? ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:43 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
john craig wrote:I hardly think that 15 mins against chelsea proves cisse is our best striker.  He looked quick but his first touch is still dodgy and he loses possession a lot.  Cisse still has to prove himself as he did not exactly look brilliant before he got injured either for me.

I still think he and morientes will come good next season but baros is our best striker at this moment in time

You must be joking!!...baros our best striker :laugh: ..2 goals in 19 games! does that not tell you something? ???

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion you tw@t

None of our strikers have been amazing this season so to say baros is our best striker this season is hardly the ultimate accolade is it??  But nevertheless he has been
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:03 pm

john craig wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion you tw@t

None of our strikers have been amazing this season so to say baros is our best striker this season is hardly the ultimate accolade is it??  But nevertheless he has been

You obviously need your brain educating..you ball bag!!  "everyone is entitled to their opinion"..yeah i agree...anyone who thinks baros is our best striker needs a brain!!..  :p  :;):
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:09 pm

Given that the options for our best striker are Cisse, Morientes, Mellor and Baros then why would the choice of Baros be so unbelieveable? Particularly as all four players are so totally different in style to each other, my suspicion is that whichever striker any of us declare an allegiance for is more to do with the type of striker we as people like rather than the individual player concerned.
If you prefer a more traditional, "english style" centre-forward then clearly you are going to prefer Morientes. If you like explosive pace, Cisse etc etc. To say you like Baros out of the four probably means that you appreciate his running down the channels and (usually) his workrate. This season it probably means you appreciate his goals as well as he's scored more than the others. Does it make you a "ball-bag"? Not in the least.
FWIW I'm not convinced by any of them to be honest. On Tuesday I'd probably start with Cisse as he looks the best bet at the moment. Whether as a long-term bet he is better than Baros I'm not so sure.
Are the insults and name-calling really necessary though?
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:18 pm

I wonder how Luis Garcia will do next season? He seems to be settling in last few months
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:23 pm

I too would start with cisse give him say 60 mins or so leave baros on the bench ...as for the " name insults" i  only responded as anyone would, after being called a "tw@t by a tw@t!   :oh:
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:48 am

i've said all along give the lad time especially he had not played full 90 mins.once he regain his full fitness,he'll be at his best n threaten the defence with his pacy runs n dribbles.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:49 am

bigmick wrote:Given that the options for our best striker are Cisse, Morientes, Mellor and Baros then why would the choice of Baros be so unbelieveable? Particularly as all four players are so totally different in style to each other, my suspicion is that whichever striker any of us declare an allegiance for is more to do with the type of striker we as people like rather than the individual player concerned.
If you prefer a more traditional, "english style" centre-forward then clearly you are going to prefer Morientes. If you like explosive pace, Cisse etc etc. To say you like Baros out of the four probably means that you appreciate his running down the channels and (usually) his workrate. This season it probably means you appreciate his goals as well as he's scored more than the others. Does it make you a "ball-bag"? Not in the least.
FWIW I'm not convinced by any of them to be honest. On Tuesday I'd probably start with Cisse as he looks the best bet at the moment. Whether as a long-term bet he is better than Baros I'm not so sure.
Are the insults and name-calling really necessary though?.

Good post maybe true maynot. At the end of the day you want a striker thats gonna get u goals .Compare Ian Rush to Henry two totally different strikers ,personallly i prefer Henry and his style of play,but Rush was a much better goalscorer and was class at what he did.
I prefer Cisses style to Baros , and i think Cisse is better than Baros Baros has scored something like 3 goals in 21 appearances ,which   amazes me because if that were Emile Heskey he would be getting crucified by the press and by fans for not scoring.

But alot of people on this forum think Baros is the best thing since sliced bread ,and he isnt. Given the chance Cisse will start scoring and on a regular basis.He has more pace, more direct ,looks up when he runs and shoots at goal more often than Baros.
I maybe sounding harsh on Milan hes not a bad player but at the end of the dayi dont think he is good enough for Liverpool.
66-1112520797

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:20 am

Ok, i think Baros is good, but was hindered under GH.....i admire his workrate, i mean he must wake up with some serious bruises because he is always getting tacken out, and this is after many injury problems. But i just feel that he will never get enough goals for us, i think he is great at creating his own chances but his decision making can be questionable at times when others are in better positions.

I have to say since Cisse has come back he has looked sharp, but not actually like he was gonna score, so i thought let me go to my Cisse compilation.......and he WILL get us plenty of goals in a full season, as he is really singleminded in front of goal, but in a different way from Baros.
Whereas Baros tends to be greedy, the majority of goals Cisse has scored in his career, he has scored without any team mates in close proximity ie; he has to deal with himself, which enevitibly (spelling?? sory hehe!) ends in goals!!

But when i was watching the compilation, althogh Cisse CAN score scrappy six yard, 'fox-in-the-box' type of goals, from corners and free kicks(like the one against Tottenham at te start of the season)....... To get the best out of Djbrill, HE NEEDS THE RIGHT SERVICE (obviously, u might say?), but the service needs to either come from the wings.....a la KAPO(we have been linked with him, One of Cisse's best friends!), or it need to slipped through for him to run onto and use his crazy pace.
I know it probably sounds obvious, but thats not how we are supplying the service to him, it tends to come from short passes through the centre.

Cisse is quick, powerful and dynamic, and DYNAMIC is how we need to play to the best out of  'Lord Cisse Of The Manor Of Frodsham' :D

But he is our best striker......With Nando (who can drop deep and thread a ball too!) he could make a great partnership, just dont know if Rafa will go that route as he seems to be favouring the 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1.

Also i'd just like to add, we might see a lot of Cisse complaining at others or looking disgruntled if passes dont come his way etc; but this doesn't worry me, as that is just a selfish striker mentality of wanting to score goals, not him being arrogant or a big time charlie :oops:

CISSE CISSE CISSE

CISSE CISSE CISSE

YNWA
76-1115222408

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion