Chris Bascombe Leaves the Liverpool Echo... - ...for NOTW

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Well for my two penneth this smacks of double standards to me , i'm a scouser and very proud to be one , i don't read the NOTW because it's a poo paper and secondly it doesn't feel right (with it's close association with the rag), i didn't buy the Gerrard book for the reason it was publicised in the NOTW .So why wasn't Gerrard given such a hard time ,he should have been publicly lambasted as Bascombe has.

I probably will now buy the paper (as woof said i think ) out of pure curiosity ,to see what he has to say about Liverpool FC.

Fare doo's i say . The lads looking to futher his career , which he has every right to do.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Well for my two penneth this smacks of double standards to me , i'm a scouser and very proud to be one , i don't read the NOTW because it's a poo paper and secondly it doesn't feel right (with it's close association with the rag), i didn't buy the Gerrard book for the reason it was publicised in the NOTW . So why wasn't Gerrard given such a hard time ,he should have been publicly lambasted as Bascombe has.

I probably will now buy the paper (as woof said i think ) out of pure curiosity ,to see what he has to say about Liverpool FC.

Fare doo's i say . The lads looking to futher his career , which he has every right to do.

to be fair you could say he was badly advised by his agent.

Also, he did get a very hard time from other forums such as RAOTL and in fact still does at times.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Well for my two penneth this smacks of double standards to me , i'm a scouser and very proud to be one , i don't read the NOTW because it's a poo paper and secondly it doesn't feel right (with it's close association with the rag), i didn't buy the Gerrard book for the reason it was publicised in the NOTW . So why wasn't Gerrard given such a hard time ,he should have been publicly lambasted as Bascombe has.

to be fair you could say he was badly advised by his agent.

Also, he did get a very hard time from other forums such as RAOTL and in fact still does at times.

To be fair adam ,gerrard's a big boy and know's exactly what he's done. I don't know the thinking behind his decision to serialise his book in the notw , but Bascombes decision was purley to futher his career and the financial rewards that would bring. Gerrard has done a much worse thing imho , after all he is the club captain and that brings certain responsabilities. Bascombe is just a reporter and happens to be an lfc fan . He should have far less on his concience as far as i'm concerned.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 pm

stmichael wrote:I'm not a scouser myself but I was speaking to a Scouse mate of mine yesterday on this issue. He was saying that the one thing that’s always pi$$ed him off about the city is the holier-than-thou ‘honest working class folk hero’ sh#t that gets shoved down your throat, and the tendency toward cheap and empty soundbite sentimentality. In other words, anger and grief often being displayed purely and simply for public consumption.

I think a lot of people out there reckon that shouting ‘Justice for the 96!’ when they’re surrounded by a crowd of people makes them a better scouser or a better red. As far as I'm concerned, keep to your principles by all means, and if someone is reading the S*n tell them the score, but a man’s life and career is nobody’s business but his own.

agree 100% percent
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 am

What do the people of this boards think about that conservative people that Bascombe describes and he says take things too far? is that true that they're very present everyday saying what's nice and what's not?

Bascombe's response was a tough one and if anyone was expecting an apology there wasn't any. I'd be surprised if that response wouldn't bring more comments from the same people that were too harsh with him.

I still think the same thing I did, I can understand the people being dissapointed -- needless to say I'd never like him to be threatened and things like that.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:07 am

Everybody who criticises him for this is being a damned hypocrite, you would all do exactly the same!!

This is really :censored: me off, leave the man alone he's only taking care of himself and family, anyone who places the wishes of the mob above himself is a damned fool. If he was going to the Sun then ok I would totally agree but he isn't so you lot can all back off! You'd all take the job if you were him and if you didn't then you'd end up bitter twisted and weak for not having the courage to be your own man but instead always following the flock!! Baaahhh!

Good luck to you Mr Bascombe, I for one may actually pick up the NOTW now to read your articles although I hope for your sake you move on to a quality broadsheet paper soon.
heimdall

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:37 am

Can I assume that because Sky Sports is owned by Rupert Murdoch Liverpool fans should cancel the Sky subscriptions to stop us lining the pockets of the guy who owns the Sun newspaper ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Sean wrote:Can I assume that because Sky Sports is owned by Rupert Murdoch Liverpool fans should cancel the Sky subscriptions to stop us lining the pockets of the guy who owns the Sun newspaper ?

we've already been through that.

It's not to do with Murdoch.

The NOTW is the sunday s*n. FACT.

I don't care what anyone tries to tell me.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Sorry mate but Rupert Murdoch made money from lies printed about Hillsborough in the Sun in 1989.  By watching Sky Sports we are continuing to feed his wealth.  I just think it is a fair comment that if the Sun is boycotted, surely it makes sense to boycott Sky as well.

I feel that those who refuse to read the Sun but continue to pay subscriptions to Sky Sports are hypocrits.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:01 pm

heimdall wrote:Everybody who criticises him for this is being a damned hypocrite, you would all do exactly the same!!

This is really :censored: me off, leave the man alone he's only taking care of himself and family, anyone who places the wishes of the mob above himself is a damned fool. If he was going to the Sun then ok I would totally agree but he isn't so you lot can all back off! You'd all take the job if you were him and if you didn't then you'd end up bitter twisted and weak for not having the courage to be your own man but instead always following the flock!! Baaahhh!

Good luck to you Mr Bascombe, I for one may actually pick up the NOTW now to read your articles although I hope for your sake you move on to a quality broadsheet paper soon.

would i Feck!!!!
read my responses earlier posted on this topic
& you will then see i"m no Fecking hypocrite!

i"ve said it time & time again, but just in case
you want reminding i shall say it again
it"s about PRINCIPLES end of

(btw, for what it"s worth) no i don"t agree
he should be threatened,in any way
over this.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:49 pm

Well Carra apparently wrote an article in the NOTW today in which he basically praised Michael Owen and said what a great player he was. Probably showing some support for Bascombe, who knows?

Nevertheless, I'm surprised the normal suspects haven't come out and slaughtered Carra yet.
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ste123lfc » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:04 pm

Wot the fuck has it got to do with anyone on hear what paper he writes for. The guy has a family to support and if anyone on hear says they wouldn't do the same if offered a big pay rise is a liar. The NOTW is part of the rupert murdoch group not part of the sun. Its about time everyone got off their high horse.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:30 pm

ste123lfc wrote:Wot the fuck has it got to do with anyone on hear what paper he writes for. The guy has a family to support and if anyone on hear says they wouldn't do the same if offered a big pay rise is a liar.

Speak for yourself and don't assume everybody is motivated by money.
LFC2007

Postby ste123lfc » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:53 pm

I am not saying everyone is motivated by money, but if you were offered a big raise in  your wages surely it would be difficult to turn down.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
I told him he has to do what's right for himself and his family, regardless of what some random people on the internet will say about him. It's not like any of those people will be putting food on his table. He's getting married soon, and no doubt will start a family at some point. He'd have been an absolute moron to turn this down and stay at the Echo just because he was worried about what some people who don't know him think.

Exactly.

2nd that....i'm a journalist myself and although the newspaper is cack, i'd have done the very same thing.  NOTW IS NOT THE S*N and people pretending they would have turned down a job at a national tabloid obvioulsy have no idea.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion