Talk lfc interview with chris bascombe - Good read

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:00 am

How did you get started in journalism and if you didn't make it as a journalist, what would you have liked to do?

I always wanted to be a reporter. I used to read Brian Reade's ECHO column religiously. He now works for the Daily Mirror and is still one of the best, if not the best, columnists around.
I studied English and Sociology at the University of Liverpool, completed a post-graduate course in journalism in Cornwall, worked for free on numerous newspapers to get work experience and eventually became a news reporter for the Chester Chronicle. I moved from there to The Kop Magazine in 1998, which the ECHO produces. I stopped writing that in 2000. I've been doing this job ever since.

So is this your dream job? Would you ever want to go to a national paper or is this the ultimate gig for you?

It is a dream job, but whether I'll still be doing it in 30 years, I've no idea. Of course it would be great to be wanted by a national newspaper because it would mean I'm doing well. I'm sure whatever line of work you're in, you're ambitious. But I'm very grateful the Liverpool ECHO is happy with me.

If you could swap jobs with anyone at the club, who would it be?

I'd like to wear Harry Kewell's number seven shirt and I wouldn't mind an anonymous place on the Liverpool board so I could get more exclusives.

It was great having you doing the co-commentary at the Wrexham game for the official site. Did you enjoy doing it and do you have any plans to do it again?

The website asked me to do it. I'm sure if they asked me again, and I wasn't working to a tight deadline, I would. I don't ask to these things.

Is it hard to remain objective when you are both a fan and a reporter?

It's more of a challenge when writing about teams I don't care about. Like England in Euro 2004, for example. If Liverpool play rubbish, I'll write it. If they're great, I'll say so. I've never had a difficulty writing the truth. It's usually those at the wrong end of it who don't like it.

What's your fondest Liverpool FC memory, favourite goal & favourite game?

The fondest memory is Paul Walsh's performances in the 1985-86 season, before he was crocked by Kevin Moran of Manchester United and missed the run-in to the Double.
Favourite goal is Robbie Fowler versus Aston Villa when he nutmegged Steve Staunton with a backheel.
Favourite game has to be the 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest in 1988.

What is the most entertaining press conference you've ever attended?

Any involving Jamie Carragher. If anyone asks a stupid or pretentious question, he'll put them right.

We recently had a thread on Talklfc.com asking members whether Benitez was their first choice to be boss. Who was your first choice to take over from Houllier?

Christian Damiano was robbed of his natural succession, obviously.
Seriously, I never thought of anyone but Benitez once it was clear Houllier was going. Not because I knew a lot about him, but because it was clear from the outset he was the first choice. I was already aware how highly he was rated at Anfield. The more I looked into his background, the more he seemed the obvious selection.

In your opinion, who do you think is the best LFC journalist around? (Excepting yourself obviously!)

Paul Joyce of The Daily Express is the best by far.

How are Liverpool viewed by other sports journalists - serious club or past-it has-beens?

It's very easy for fans to slag off the 'nasty' Press. I did so myself when I was an immature student, jealously reading someone else's articles which I knew I could write much better. There are a good journalists and bad ones. It's no different to any other profession.
Most well-read, intelligent fans can agree which are which, whether they agree with articles or not. I wouldn't say I always come up with the right answers, but I know I always ask the right questions.
The reporters on Merseyside genuinely want both our clubs to do well, but recognise they're below the top three now. But Liverpool still sell papers, as you can see from the amount of national coverage the club still gets. When that stops, and no-one cares about Liverpool anymore, then you know the club is in trouble.

Much has been made over the proposed new stadium. What are your thoughts on this? Would you be in favour of a groundshare?

About six years ago, Liverpool wanted a groundshare and Everton didn't want to know. Now Liverpool are determined to build their own ground and have made significant progress. Until a final decision is made on Stanley Park, I think it's pointless to think about a groundshare. The club and fans don't want it. And Everton can't afford to invest the same amount into it as Liverpool.
That said, if Stanley Park is rejected, it will be interesting to see what Liverpool do next.

The Kop seems to be a bit quiet these days, notably during last season. What factors do you think contribute to this phenomenon?

There are many. The culture of football has changed. Fans used to queue for hours to get in, so that helped build an atmosphere. Now, Anfield is empty until 2.55pm when everyone gets in just before kick-off.
Far more poor performances don't help either. Passion on the pitch gets the crowd going and vice-versa.
No-one can doubt there are a lot more fickle, less patient supporters at games now. Every club has suffered, not just Liverpool. We just notice it at Anfield a lot more because it used to be so different. It's not unique anymore.

Of all the players who've left the club during your time as a journalist, which one do you miss speaking to the most?

David Thompson. A great lad, brilliant player and very funny.

Who is the most inspirational character you've met at the club?

Steven Gerrard. It was clear from day one he'd be a Liverpool captain. He should be England captain too.

Which one player would you love us to sign right now, or would've liked us to sign in the past?

Damien Duff. He should have been signed two years ago. It's not just the way he plays, but I hear he's a great lad off the pitch. He just looks like he should be a Liverpool player, to me.

Talking of signings, why do you think Steven Gerrard reneged at the 11th hour on his proposed move to Chelsea & to what extent did Carra influence his decision (talks of a bust up)?

Because he loves Liverpool and he wasn't 100 per cent certain it was the right decision. There was no fight with Carra. That will go down as one of those myths which, if mentioned enough, people believe.

Liverpool fans around the world breathed a sigh of relief when Gerrard announced that he was staying. However, barely a month later, Michael Owen was holding aloft the white shirt of Real Madrid.
Considering Owen stalled on signing a new contract with Liverpool for 18 months, do you think that a move was always on the cards for Michael and the whole deal was manufactured months in advance, unbeknownst to Anfield officials?

Michael was waiting to see what was going on at the club before making a decision. I don't blame him. But when the transfer happened, it did so very quickly. It wasn't manufactured. It took everyone by surprise. I don't think Liverpool or Michael thought Madrid would come in when they did. Michael didn't have long to make up his mind.
I hope he does well there, but I think it's also fair to say he took a bit of a risk. It definitely wasn't a case of him being 100 per cent certain it would turn out perfect
for him. Personally, I think he'll be back one day.

Staying on the subject of transfers, are you aware of any particular targets we may move for when the transfer window re-opens?

No. But when I do I'll be writing it in the ECHO and not revealing it on a website.

In all the time you've reported on Liverpool - who's the biggest name we've been on the verge of signing, only for the deal to fall through?

Marcel Desailly. Roy Evans wanted him before Desailly went to Chelsea. He wanted too much money. Sol Campbell also chose Arsenal ahead of Liverpool when he left Spurs. Bet he regrets that, eh?
And, as I've said before, Dion Dublin was a [Houllier] target for this season. Can't forget that. People think I was joking. I wasn't.

Rafa has stated that he will give the Academy products a chance if they're good enough. Who, amongst Anfield insiders, is considered to be 'the next big thing' from the Academy?

I don't believe there's anyone considered the next Owen or Fowler coming through the ranks. Darren Potter, who made his debut against AK Graz, probably has the best chance of establishing himself next. Personally, I'd like to see Steve Warnock in the side more often. Looks like he'll play against Norwich.

Another thing Senior Benitez articulated when he first came, was that he was going to "change the mentality of the players". As far as you're aware, were the stories of unrest within the squad true?

When a club is struggling, it's natural the players, shareholders, board members and fans aren't happy. When the skipper has to hold a Press Conference to say he's staying - six months into his new contract - it's fair to assume not everything is rosy. So yes, there was unrest.

What do you think about Diouf and his relationship with people in the team and coaches? Can he ever turn it around?

Diouf cost £10m. He damaged the reputation of the club in the Celtic game.
He's showed a questionable attitude after defeats. He's made comments which are 'un-Liverpool-like'. And, perhaps most importantly, his contribution on the pitch was minimal. In every way, he was an awful buy.
Can he turn it around? Does he deserve a second chance ahead of some of the youngsters? He'd need to build a bridge bigger than the Golden Gate.

Why did it take the board so long to sack Houllier when many people thought it was obvious that he should have gone at the end of the 02-03 season?

Loyalty. At that stage it only looked as though Houllier had endured one bad season. They felt he deserved one more chance. Who would have replaced him then? I doubt Benitez was available 12 months ago.

What DID Houllier mutter to himself during matches???

Absolutely no idea. Maybe he was counting corners.

The "Liverpool Way" is a vague term. How would you define it? Does it still exist? If not, can Rafa instil it in the club once more?

In simple terms, it's pass and move, high quality, passionate football. But it's more than that. Maybe it's better to use examples. It's The Kop applauding Arsenal when they stole the championship in the last minute.
It's opening the Shankly Gates in April, 1989 and allowing the fans to mourn on The Kop. It's holding a Press conference when the manager has resigned, or been sacked. It's being universally respected as the template for everything good about the game. It's ensuring there is always a close relationship between the fans and the club, preserving a 'family' atmosphere.
Does it still exist? I think it's taken a few knocks, but as a principle
it will always remain.

What do you think caused this big fall out between David Moores and Steve Morgan and how badly has it affected the club, if at all?

The pair have different views on the direction of the club, essentially on a business level. This goes back over a decade. It hasn't affected the club that much because Steve Morgan isn't on the board. At the moment, he's still on the outside, knocking on the door, hoping to be let in.

How do you honestly feel about Morgan and is he really trying to do the best for the club in his attempt to buy into Liverpool FC?

Steve Morgan is a Liverpool fan who wants to invest an unbelievable amount of cash in exchange for a place on the board, where undoubtedly he'd have a big influence on how the club is run.
There's no reason to doubt he'll try to do the best for the club. David Moores has always loved the club too. That's never been questioned. The club just doesn't think Steve Morgan's offer represents good value. That's all.

Is the club in desperate need of a cash injection in order to keep up with the financial powerhouses?

Absolutely, yes.

And finally, how many properties does Zidane own on the Wirral?

Three on the Wirral, one in Formby and another in Southport. Anyway, who needs Zidane when you've got Alonso
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:22 am

Dion Dublin?? :D  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:33 am

i know that just shows how much houllier had lost it.

just say it to yourself again   *Dion Dublin*
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:35 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:Dion Dublin?? :D  :D

yeah apparently houllier thought his "third leg" would be useful for getting on the end of the long balls we played during his reign. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby the great one » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:44 am

dion dublin would of bein great for us maybe we could do a deal with leicster :D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:56 am

He's not that bad...otherwise they'd name him TWICE ("Dion Dublin Dublin") like that awful pr!ck who plays for manure.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:56 am

i've got to say you are the best wind up merchant ever
LFC Super Member

Postby the great one » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:59 am

bring bak david james :D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion