Chris Bascombe Leaves the Liverpool Echo... - ...for NOTW

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Chris Bascombe (writer of the LFC pages in the echo) HAS signed up to work for The News of The World.

The Sunday S*n

lost all respect for him now. two faced bastard.

SELL OUT!!
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:43 pm

what a shame!  :no
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:20 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Chris Bascombe (writer of the LFC pages in the echo) HAS signed up to work for The News of The World.

The Sunday S*n

SELL OUT!!

That's shocking. Is that confirmed Adam?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Sabre wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Chris Bascombe (writer of the LFC pages in the echo) HAS signed up to work for The News of The World.

The Sunday S*n

SELL OUT!!

That's shocking. Is that confirmed Adam?

not from official sorted but from what I've read elsewhere, it's almost a guarentee.

cannot believe it. Didn't think he'd stab fans in the back like this.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:43 pm

fucking shock, never thought he would do anything like that. absolute disgrace, alls i can say :no

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 pm

What position has he taken? Dont jump the gun guys, give him a chance. Dont think it didnt cross his mind or was an issue when he was signed up. His first article might be a full page apology.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:04 am

theres goin to be murder over this if it's true i cant believe it myself :(

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:19 am

Money talks.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:13 am

This has been posted by Dave Usher on TLW:

Chris rang me a few weeks ago and told me about the offer from NOTW. He wanted to know what kind of reaction it would get off the fans if he took it. He was going nowhere at the Echo (there's no chance of any kind of promotion so he'd be looking at doing this job until he retires), he hasn't been happy for a while but none of the nationals were interested.

Then NOTW come along offering him double his salary for doing a fifth of the work he is now, as well as a private pension, company car and all kinds of other perks. Plus there's none of the politics that he gets at the Echo, he doesn't have to travel half way around the world for pre-season games and Euro aways (fine when you're young and new to the job, but not when you get into your thirties and have family commitments).

I told him he has to do what's right for himself and his family, regardless of what some random people on the internet will say about him. It's not like any of those people will be putting food on his table. He's getting married soon, and no doubt will start a family at some point. He'd have been an absolute moron to turn this down and stay at the Echo just because he was worried about what some people who don't know him think.

He's been trying to get into the nationals for a while, and ideally he would have wanted to work at the Guardian or somewhere, but they weren't beating down his door so what's he meant to do?

The NOTW isn't the S*n, there's no boycott of it and it's purely a matter of personal preference. Personally I think it's a gutter rag, but then so are the other redtops. Hopefully having someone like Chris there will make it a bit better.

I'd have done exactly the same thing in his shoes.

I just hope the Echo do the smart thing and give Tony Barratt the job

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuming to be honest, its the Sunday S*n.

However it seems a bit unfair to lambast the fellow when our captain didn't get the same treatment when he serialised his book in there, and it wasn't like he needed the money like Bascombe would.

We can't cover up for Stevie and then lambast this lad.

IMO both should of got a lot of stick, but when's anyone going to say anything bad about our captain.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Well Red » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:06 am

I'd have done the same to be honest. It isn't the S*n and there's no boycott of it. Give the lad a chance, guys :;):
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:14 am

I can't believe it. He was one of the only journalists that I trust.
This feels like a stab in the back from a friend.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 am

The NOWT cannot be classed as a Newspaper along with the Star, sport and catching up fast Mirror, they are all full of fabricated, unsubstantiated stories.

Rafa Dodd is right, there was very little stick for SG multimillionaire, who could have sold HIS story to any paper, maybe for a few quid less. Bascombe is obviously looking to further his career and earn more money, its not as though he has chosen the NOWT over another national.

I only hope he doesn't whore himself and becomes just another tabloid bullsh itter, and if anything it may get LFC some positive press, but i doubt it, the pressures of sensationalism will probably mean he joins in.

FWIW the NOWT is a crappier version of the S*n, it is the same company, same owner, same philosophy.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:48 am

The boycott on the Sun is not disputed. In my opinion the boycott should not extend to the NOTW. Don't get me wrong, it is a rubbish paper and I don't buy it, but I still don't think the ban should extend that far. Buying the NOTW should be up to the individual.

If we do want to extend the ban to cover the NOtW, then in order to be consistent we need to look at other Murdoch operations, including Sky. How many of us want to give up Sky, because ultimately Sky subscribers are helping to line the pockets of the man who owns the Sun?

For me the campaign against the Sun has been focused and effective. It has cost them £50M+ over the years. Given that Hillsborough was 17/18 years ago, there are an increasing number of people who don't know the issuues. Much better to educate where necessary and keep the focus on the one paper, because it is working.

BTW, good luck to Bascombe. Plenty of journalists have done their time at a red top and gone on to a better newspaper. If he has substance then he will follow a similar path. Fair play to the fella for making the move.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 am

I told him he has to do what's right for himself and his family, regardless of what some random people on the internet will say about him. It's not like any of those people will be putting food on his table. He's getting married soon, and no doubt will start a family at some point. He'd have been an absolute moron to turn this down and stay at the Echo just because he was worried about what some people who don't know him think.

Exactly.
66-1112520797

Postby Paul C » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:04 pm

stmichael wrote:The boycott on the Sun is not disputed. In my opinion the boycott should not extend to the NOTW. Don't get me wrong, it is a rubbish paper and I don't buy it, but I still don't think the ban should extend that far. Buying the NOTW should be up to the individual.

If we do want to extend the ban to cover the NOtW, then in order to be consistent we need to look at other Murdoch operations, including Sky. How many of us want to give up Sky, because ultimately Sky subscribers are helping to line the pockets of the man who owns the Sun?

For me the campaign against the Sun has been focused and effective. It has cost them £50M+ over the years. Given that Hillsborough was 17/18 years ago, there are an increasing number of people who don't know the issuues. Much better to educate where necessary and keep the focus on the one paper, because it is working.

BTW, good luck to Bascombe. Plenty of journalists have done their time at a red top and gone on to a better newspaper. If he has substance then he will follow a similar path. Fair play to the fella for making the move.

You serious Mike   :oh:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion