Chris Bascombe Leaves the Liverpool Echo... - ...for NOTW

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 pm

i dunno about all this... but how else can a paper like NOTW change unless someone who is credible writes for them?

(i dont read NOTW, its just a poo paper, gimme racing post and bbc sport anyday)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:12 pm

stmichael wrote:Well Carra apparently wrote an article in the NOTW today in which he basically praised Michael Owen and said what a great player he was. Probably showing some support for Bascombe, who knows?

Nevertheless, I'm surprised the normal suspects haven't come out and slaughtered Carra yet.

exactly....Steve Gerrard has done stuff with NOTW also and noone has said he's a c**t.....the guy would be an idiot to turn down a huge career opportunity just to appease others.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Good luck to the lad I say
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby RedorDead » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:20 pm

There are numerous issues here.
Firstly I think saying the NOTW isn't the S*n is a little naive. Of course it's the same paper, always has been and always will be. Same owner, same political stance and same promotions etc.
Having said that it isn't officially boycotted, and like StMike said Sky Tv is in the same stable too and noone would even consider giving that up on a sunday afternoon watching the mighty Reds live on tele.
It is a fine line and while I personally choose not to read the NOTW, that decision is as much because it is sh!te as is it is to do with the fact that it's the sunday s*n.
As for Bascombe's decision to join the NOTW, well I cannot hold it against him. He's a journalist working on a regional paper, one of the biggest selling sunday nationals offers him double his pay and half the work and the oppurtunity to massively raise his profile? He'd be a fool to turn it down. He is a professional and on a career path...he's about to get married someone said aswell, having got married in August myself I know what a blow to the purse strings that it.
It isn't just about money though, he will read by many more people and this is a stepping stone for him, if he does well at the NOTW I think we'll see him move on to another national in time and maybe onto a broadsheet eventually. It's his job, it's his livlihood and it's the chance to massively improve teh standard of living he can provide for family. I'd have done the same.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm

ste123lfc wrote:I am not saying everyone is motivated by money, but if you were offered a big raise in  your wages surely it would be difficult to turn down.

If it was for the NOTW, then yes I would turn it down.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:23 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
ste123lfc wrote:I am not saying everyone is motivated by money, but if you were offered a big raise in  your wages surely it would be difficult to turn down.

If it was for the NOTW, then yes I would turn it down.

why turn it down? cut your nose to spite your face?

if u wanna improve the journalism stadards of rags then you need to put competent 'friendly' journos in there.

if no liverpool journos ever wrote for the NOTW then the paper would never learn or improve
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Well i've had a look at Rawk and raotl and there's a pretty heated discussion going on over there about Carra's artical in the NOTW and i must say the reaction on here is feckin deafening in it's silence . MORE FECKIN DOUBLE STANDARDS FROM THE BASCOMBE BASHERS.

Like Mr Gerrard before him , Carra should know better,so he has made his bed and so he must lie in it. Especially after the bascombe thing last week .

Apparently he's mates with Bascombe (he's ghost writing his autobiography allegedly), so it looks to me like he's sticking up for his mate.As always make of it what you will.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:28 pm

dawson99 wrote:why turn it down? cut your nose to spite your face?

if u wanna improve the journalism stadards of rags then you need to put competent 'friendly' journos in there.

if no liverpool journos ever wrote for the NOTW then the paper would never learn or improve

A paper such as the NOTW does not have 'standards'.

It wouldn't be cutting my nose to spite my face, that would again assume that everybody is motivated by money.

The NOTW will never learn and improve, if it's making money it has no reason to change.

It is, has and always will be a pile of w@nk.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:29 pm

im not saying i like it, but at least with a seasoned writer there that appreciates us there may be a change for those who do read it in the quality they will be getting.

As for carra, hes sticking by his mate, and that speaks volumes for the lad as we all know his motivations arent monetary based
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:32 pm

dawson99 wrote:As for carra, hes sticking by his mate, and that speaks volumes for the lad as we all know his motivations arent monetary based

Exactly. This isn't the first time Carra has done things for the NOTW anyway.

At the end of the day, the club tell the players not to deal with the S*n (obviously the local lads know about it anyway), but as far as LFC is concerned there's no issue with NOTW.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 pm

stmichael wrote:
dawson99 wrote:As for carra, hes sticking by his mate, and that speaks volumes for the lad as we all know his motivations arent monetary based

Exactly. This isn't the first time Carra has done things for the NOTW anyway.

At the end of the day, the club tell the players not to deal with the S*n (obviously the local lads know about it anyway), but as far as LFC is concerned there's no issue with NOTW.

Unfortunatly Stmick , it's an issue for LFC'S fans ,which will make it an issue for LFC. By the way i agree with you and daws ,but i just want to see the reaction of those who critisized bascombe last week.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:26 am

So the uber scouser that was/is [depends how you feel about him now] Jamie Carragher, has written an article for NOTW.

So where is the same reaction that Bascombe got on here? Adam, I'm interested to know to what you feel on this [and this isn't a dig at you regarding your previous comments by any means].

I'm asking you, because you have the strongest feelings about it when it was Bascombe going to NOTW.

And not to mention that Gerrard has sold parts of his book to NOTW as well.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:39 am

well i kept out of this discussion up to now, i have read everyones comments, some ludicrous by people that will always be poor with their attitude, and some well balanced comments.

just to reiterate, however bad the NOTW is as a newspaper (and there are worse papers by the way) it is not boycotted and has never been boycotted over the comments in its sister paper the s*n. I am sure an intelligent man like bascombe would know this and I am sure he made the decision with this fact in mind. some people are being very petty about this whole thing, and i think that as long as bascombe is strong willed then readers of this newspaper will start to see LFC in a better light as bascombe will hopefully stick to facts and not be swayed by some greasy editor to change the facts.

also lets not forget he has left the 'mirror group' and now works for a new group. good luck to him, but if he starts to fall  into the gutter press the f*ck him
112-1077774096

Postby AB's Red Army » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:16 am

peewee wrote:well i kept out of this discussion up to now, i have read everyones comments, some ludicrous by people that will always be poor with their attitude, and some well balanced comments.

just to reiterate, however bad the NOTW is as a newspaper (and there are worse papers by the way) it is not boycotted and has never been boycotted over the comments in its sister paper the s*n. I am sure an intelligent man like bascombe would know this and I am sure he made the decision with this fact in mind. some people are being very petty about this whole thing, and i think that as long as bascombe is strong willed then readers of this newspaper will start to see LFC in a better light as bascombe will hopefully stick to facts and not be swayed by some greasy editor to change the facts.

also lets not forget he has left the 'mirror group' and now works for a new group. good luck to him, but if he starts to fall  into the gutter press the f*ck him

Proper f#cked Tommy? Before ''zee'' Germans get here?

:D
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:21 am

???   :D

AB could you be any more cryptic   :D
112-1077774096

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion