Champions League last 8 Qtr final.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 pm

We could do with banging a few in, in the first leg and take a decent lead to the Eithad. Just go for it like we did in the first leg v Porto.

That's where I stand :nod
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Not great with the derby shoved in between. Same for City as well tho. On the positive side Pep won't abandon his style so we will get chances, we just have to take them
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Beat City and I'll back us to go on and win it.

Will be a tough ask though. They're desperate to win the CL for the first time and will come at us like a tonne of bricks in the second leg.  Really need to do them over at Anfield by a couple of goals and keep a clean sheet.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am wrote:We could do with banging a few in, in the first leg and take a decent lead to the Eithad. Just go for it like we did in the first leg v Porto.

City have got a poor record at Anfield and a lot of our fans will be hoping that we go into the second leg with a lead but I wouldn't be too disheartened with a 0-0 in the first leg.
As United found out against Seville 0-0 is a tricky result, especially against a team like us who are good on the counter.
Even though they'd be at home City couldnt afford to go hung-ho because they'd be very wary of conceding an away goal.
Just like what happened in the United game as time ticks by and you get into the second half the pressure on the home side increases with every passing minute, they know that once you get into the last 20 minutes if the home side concedes an away goal then they are basically out.
Another good thing about a 0-0 result in the first leg is that even if the home side scores nothing really changes, 1 goal would still see you through.
The main thing for me is not to concede in the first leg, not giving City an away goal is absolutely crucial, in the first leg not conceding is more important than scoring.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:04 pm wrote:Beat City and I'll back us to go on and win it.

Will be a tough ask though. They're desperate to win the CL for the first time and will come at us like a tonne of bricks in the second leg.  Really need to do them over at Anfield by a couple of goals and keep a clean sheet.

Do admire the confidence but for me i's a bit unfortunate thelikes of Barca, Real and Bayern have been kept apart. Without looking too far ahead, could have done with 2 of those 3 drawing one another and knocking one out.

Looking at their draws, pretty high chance that all of Barca Real and Bayern go through to the semi's. Real have the toughest task v Juventus but I see them getting past them in the end.

So if we were to get past City, we would have to most likely beat 2 from Barca, Real and Bayern to win the the thing which although isn't impossible, is a tough assignment. We've had relatively easy draws so far in the CL with Sevilla probably the hardest team we have played but we didn't manage to beat them over 2 games. We are now with the real big boys so really going to have to step things up.
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Well that is superb isn't it! Worse draw we could've got, i was hoping we would miss City.

I'm not too confident now because against City anything is possible. When we beat them 4-3 we just about held on if the game was another few mins City easily could have got a 4th.
If we beat them i would back us to go all the way.

This tie anything is possible even a 3-1 1st leg win won't be enough. To be honest it is more exciting facing a European team rather than an Epl one. I don't know the buzz goes a bit for me. It just feels like a slightly over hyped Epl game.

Tough tough tie to say the least. Screw you Pepe!
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:37 pm

At least we know what Man City are about, having played them twice this season. Only downside is,.. we have conceded EIGHT goals in those two matches.

Keeping a clean sheet at Anfield is paramout. I'd gladly take a 2-0, 3-0 score to their ground. 1-0 might not be enough.

Some people say that playing at home second leg is an advantage, but I don't neccesarily agree. If you can keep a clean sheet at home, you can always nick an away goal in the second leg away.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a tight, nervous end to end affair, probably. A proper cup tie.

Bring it on muther fckers.  :buttrock
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Dubious to be honest. The so called big 4, City, Barca, Bayern and RM kept apart. Just what the TV and UEFA wanted
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am wrote:We could do with banging a few in, in the first leg and take a decent lead to the Eithad. Just go for it like we did in the first leg v Porto.

City have got a poor record at Anfield and a lot of our fans will be hoping that we go into the second leg with a lead but I wouldn't be too disheartened with a 0-0 in the first leg.
As United found out against Seville 0-0 is a tricky result, especially against a team like us who are good on the counter.
Even though they'd be at home City couldnt afford to go hung-ho because they'd be very wary of conceding an away goal.
Just like what happened in the United game as time ticks by and you get into the second half the pressure on the home side increases with every passing minute, they know that once you get into the last 20 minutes if the home side concedes an away goal then they are basically out.
Another good thing about a 0-0 result in the first leg is that even if the home side scores nothing really changes, 1 goal would still see you through.
The main thing for me is not to concede in the first leg, not giving City an away goal is absolutely crucial, in the first leg not conceding is more important than scoring.

Neither manager knows how to do anything different Yakka so it will be the same as the League games with the only difference being the officials. Neither manager has it in them to do a Mourinho. Shutting them out won't be easy  :no 

Personally I think this is the worst side we could have got.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Stopping Man City from scoring is going to be a hard task.

If we can get past them though in the quarter final, winning the competition will be a strong possibility thereafter.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:30 pm

City are favourites to win the whole thing after the draw. So I'm guessing the bookies are basically saying we are the worst team left in the competition.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:22 pm

We are going through to the semi-finals, wonderful European pedigree and pressure is all on City.

Bet drawing us was low down on their list, were an extremely dangerous animal in this competition.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Really think it would have been massive if the 2nd leg was at Anfield. If we had managed to get a close result in the first leg at the Etihad, I don't think the City players would have fancied coming out at Anfield under lights with all to play for.

However it is what it is and need to go out there and give our all. City have been exceptional this year but they are not unbeatable. First leg is key. We just cannot allow City to chalk up a few away goals.
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:46 pm

1st leg it is absolutely crucial that City don't score if we beat them 2-0 i feel we will have a massive chance.

0-0 wouldn't be that bad aswel because they will have massive pressure playing on their turf. It is going to be a nervy roller coaster.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Least favourable draw IMO.

Gut feeling says they are going to be too strong over two legs for us, especially with the second leg away.

Underdog tag will do us in the lead up to this, that's when we usually pull a rabbit out the hat.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion