Gerrard to Rangers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

He's taking a big risk imo, when you are in charge of one of the old firm clubs finishing second is regarded as failure and Rangers are miles behind Celtic atm.
If his ultimate goal is to manage Liverpool one day then this move could scupper his chances before his managerial career has even got off the ground.
Brendan is no mug and Celtic have been regulars in the CL for years so I don't see Rangers outspending them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Reg » Wed May 02, 2018 1:00 am wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:19 pm wrote:I doubt he would take this job anyway, even if the offer was REAL>!

LFC is the best place for him. LFC through and through.

I disagree, he needs to get out of LFC and learn his trade. How will he ever be exposed to new ideas, methods, styles and issues/problems/view points if he stays at LFC which he joined at the age of 14?

Just imagine what he could contribute and lern if he spent 2-3 years on the coaching staff at Benfica, Atletico, Dortmund etc.. or even No2 at Southampton.

Fairpoint..
by all accounts today in the media he has accepted the role with Gary Mcallister as his no 2!?

I am surprised he has taken such a big job straight in at the deep end, as the old firm rivalry is fierce, and not much room for error etc. I would like to have seen him in an assistant manager position with a top coach etc, to ease himself in.

It reminds me of when a certain John Barnes took over at Celtic once upon a time. Did not end well.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Well he's taken the job. Good luck to him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 pm wrote:Well he's taken the job. Good luck to him.

Still think Celtic will win the SPL for the next three years....not that I give a hoot about that league anyway, but it'd be nice to think SG had *some* chance of winning something....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby parchpea » Fri May 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Appreciate rumours around investment are not uncommon at Rangers but they resurfaced today and maybe tied in with Gerrards appointment.

You dont know until you try so hes bitten the bullet and gone in against his former manager Rodgers, maybe theres a part of Gerrard that always felt he could do a better job than him and its part of the lure.

Understand hes eager to take the reigns but be surprised if hes gone in without some promise of financial backing, career suicide otherwise.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri May 04, 2018 6:17 pm

I hope he does well
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri May 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Surprised he's taken on this challenge to be honest, an assistant manager role at a top club would have suited better.
It will be hard to topple Celtic for a while and the Rangers fans are very demanding.
But, he will gain invaluable experience..

Hopefully, he will be a success, he has the pedigree and has played at top level for many years. Maybe after a few years, he can return to lfc and be Jurgens successor, eventually!
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri May 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Wish him all the best, but think it's a risky move given its a 2 team league.

Maybe he'll get loads of investment and be a huge success...or maybe he'll sign a load of flops and be sacked within 12 games. Time will tell.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Good for Gerrard i hope he does really well there.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 pm wrote:Well he's taken the job. Good luck to him.

He will need the lions share of that mate ,but hope he does himself proud and walks away as one of the most coveted ,I think there will be no shortage of interested parties if he gets them playing the Liverpool way.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Gary Mcalisster will be Gerrards No.2 so he will be getting some decent help. I will be keeping an eye out now on the Spl to see how SG does. During his first full season aim will be to try and keep close to Celtic.

We might as well loan a few players to him. :D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat May 05, 2018 1:27 am

Think he will do well enough if given time. He will have no shortage of good talent wanting to work with him.

Best of luck to him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat May 05, 2018 3:45 am

I would rather he'd taken a job in the Championship, its been  great tussle down there this season. I think the more intense competition would have challenged him more on a daily basis. Maybe 3 years at Rangers then 3 in the Championship. Whats the rush?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat May 05, 2018 9:18 am

I think moderate success at Rangers, will then open up job opportunities at other big clubs for Stevie.

He already has a decent Job profile.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 am

It's just a pity that he has gone somewhere that is up the @rse of the conservative establishment. That club is practically Margaret Thatcher FC. I suppose I'll have to hold my nose and support him i just hope he doesn't spend too long up there!!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion