Best foreign liverpool players - 21st century

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:58 pm

I just wanted to see the overall opinion on who was or is our best foreign Liverpool player, in the 21st century (2000- )

Here is my Top 5

1. Sami Hyypia:
He is my number 1 because he was a colossus of a player, a great captain for a short time, our best defender in the Houllier and Rafa eras and a great servant to the club. He notched about 350+ appearances with us and scored vital goals. A true legend and one of my favorite players of all time.

2. Fernando Torres:
As much as anyone despise him, he is a world class striker, no doubt about it. He broke Van nisterlroy's (sp?) record as the most goals scored by a foreign player in his debut season. He terrorized defenders and took the team by the scruff of the neck banging goals right left and center. Brilliant player, unfortunately he let us down with his childish and mercenary attitude.

3. Xabi Alonso:
A lot described him as Jan Molby version 2, I think he had his own quality that distinguish him from other Anfield greats. His tactical awareness, passing range and creativity made him a truly wonderful player watch. He was a great servant to the club and a true model professional for everyone, especially when he wanted to leave, he kept his head and focused on the team, which lead to having a magnificent last season with us.

4. John Arne Riise:
Maybe some of you would disagree with me, but I think he deserves the plaudits coming his way. No one could ever forget his powerful 30 yard shots, or his tenacity to go forward. He was a solid and a dependable player and was part of the defense that was the 2nd strongest defense in the League back in 2006. He scored some vital goals along the way, the goal at Nou Camp that sealed our famous win against Barcelona, or the goal against the Mancs at Anfield (a thumping freekick).

5. Luis Suarez:
I'm going to repeat Bigmick's favorite line, its early but, :D Luis Suarez looks like a quality player and has the potential to become one of the greatest players Liverpool ever had. He didn't need time to settle, he already shown us flashes of his quality and technical ability. Hopefully he will get better and help us reach new heights.
Last edited by metalhead on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Alonso.

Shouldn't this be a poll?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Alonso.

Shouldn't this be a poll?

then I would have to list all the foreign players from 2000 till now... so f*ck that :D

everyone just puts in the name he/she thinks is the best foreigner we ever had and discuss why
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Its hard to pick but i wouldnt pick Suarez (yet) or Riise. (good but not brilliant like the others).

It would be between Hypia, Alonso and Torres.

I have to go with Alonso, just because his passing was breath taking at times.

Masch should get be included as well, even though he's a bit of a C.unt
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:24 pm

the accolade has to go to sami.he had a great career with us and proved himself to be an important part of the team with his many motm displays.a true great.
riise was another good one for us and gave lots of memories, and maybe he left us a season or 2 too early.
alonso was brilliant but sadly he left us too early and wasnt at the top of his game long enough with us to warrant the no 1 spot but could have achieved legend status had he stayed.
torres as much as i hate him now was one of my all time favourites.absolutely untouchable when on form but marred his status with us the way he left.

also liked smicer, berger and dudek and thought they were good players for us in that era and deserve a mention.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I would pick Smicer :D
:censored: player but scored a goal (after Gerrard's) that turned the '05 Euro cup. Also his penalty in the shoot out :D
Wouldn't say Alonso. He had a great season before he left us but two dire ones before that.
Wouldn't say Judas simply because he's a Judas.
Really, I'd have to say big Sammy
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 pm

:hearts  :hearts  :hearts

I think if asked Gerrard would say the same
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Xabi Alonso and Sami Hyypia are the two that immediately spring to mind. Mainly because the way they handled themselves when they were at the club. I think how they are remembered is always important looking back at the history of a football club and those two havent done themselves any harm. Even Xabi to this day comes to Anfield to watch us despite the arguments that's been had about his departure, top drawer pro in my opinion.

Sami, what else can be said about Hyypia that hasn't already been said eh? The best centre back we've had in the last decade. I remember reading a bit in Carra's book when we signed Sami. Something like 'I had no idea who he was, I was expecting cheap and average, then in training he started clearing every ball that went near the box, couldn't get passed the guy'. I'll always remember the wry smile I had when reading that. Sami should be our defensive coach, we really miss a centre back of his stature

With regards to Torres I don't really want to remember him being at this club anymore, the hurt he caused this club and everyone associated with it can't be forgotten

Suarez will get there one day though I agree with that

Luis Garcia was always one of my favourites, never b!tched, always had his head up and played but what a feckin wild card player he was eh :D . That goal against Juve alone in the CL is enough to remember him, obviously the ghost goal as well. I remember the letter he sent us when he left as well, great stuff
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RedRory » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Pepe Reina should be in there with a shout as well, for the last number of seasons he has been outstanding between the posts for us. Sure hes had a few embarrassing moments but what goalkeeper hasnt.  He is always looking to get the team on the attack and is one of the best keepers in the world at the moment.

I think that he should deffinitly be up there on any list of great foreign players to play for us.
RedRory

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Good shout on Luis Garcia and Pepe Reina.

completely forgot about them, great players and who can ever forget Luis Garcia's wonderful against Juventus :bowdown
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Alonso
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 pm

For me it's Hyypia, Xabi, Judas, Reina and Hamman. But there are so many, Garcia, Riise, Mascherano... McAllister too. Hope that Suarez tops my list one day, as soon as possible too :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Hamman is a great shout! :cool:

Masch can do one as well, once he refused to play for us that as the end of him in the history books as well (as far as im concerned anyway)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm

I would say
Hyypia
Alonso
Hamman
Torres
Reina

It is obviously KK but some wouldnt count him as foreign
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 pm

Sami Hyypia. Brilliant defender, scored goals and very reliable. When he lost the captaincy to Gerrard he never whinged about it he just got on with his job.

One of the best defenders we have ever had right up there with Alan Hansen. Legend.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion