Is our football really so negative? - Coming up on a century of goals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Rafa Benitez calls on Liverpool to pass 100 goal mark

Mar 14 2008

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LINK

Rafa Benitez

RAFA BENITEZ today urged his team to become the first in the country this season to crash through the 100 goals barrier.

Liverpool have already scored 97 goals in all competitions and are four clear of nearest challengers Arsenal in the race for a century.

Next on the high scorers list come Spurs with 89, Man United with 83, Chelsea with 81 and Everton with 77.

And Benitez is hoping the Reds will be first to reach the 100 mark - but stressed that points are the most important thing at this stage of the season.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

The Reds boss said: "It is a good record, one which is very positive for everyone at the club and it would be nice if we were the first to score 100 goals.

"It shows that all the players are doing a good job because not only are we scoring lots of goals, we are also not conceding many.

"That is important because it shows that we are getting the right balance. There is no point in scoring lots of goals if you are conceding lots also.

"We have the right balance and that comes from the defenders doing their job because that allows the attacking players to go forward with confidence and score goals.

"But I would say that winning games is the most important thing. There is no point scoring two or three goals if you do not win the game, but if we can score goals and win the game then everyone will be happy."

Benitez also congratulated Xabi Alonso on the birth of his son, Jon.

Alonso was forced to miss Liverpool's 1-0 win over Inter Milan on Tuesday as he attended the birth of his first child but Benitez is happy that things turned out well for all involved.

He said: "Xabi is happy because he became a father, we won 1-0 against a very good team in their own ground and there is another healthy baby at the club, so everyone must be happy."

Though disappointed at having to miss the Inter Milan game, Alonso is delighted to have become a father.

He said: "It was a great experience. All the family is really happy and now we have to look forward. Mother and baby are both very well. The labour was quite long but it went well, so we are delighted.

"Of course I watched the game in the evening with my brother. It was great to watch. We controlled the game very well and the goal from Fernando finished it off.

"It was a little frustrating because I was excited at the thought of playing in the San Siro in what was a big challenge for the team, but of course I had to be with my family at that moment. Hopefully I will get the chance to play in that stadium in the future."

Alonso is likely to go straight back into the Liverpool squad for tomorrow's visit of Reading.

------------------------------

This article was posted in the Echo the other day but seems to have got lost in the CL draw shuffle.  It makes for interesting reading, primarily because we are often accused--by our opponents and by some of our own supporters--of being a dull, overly-defensive and negative team.  Yet, here we are leading the English pack when it comes to goals in all competitions.***  Paradoxically, this comes in a season where our achilles heel has been the dreaded draw.

So, is this total goals thing a fluke or are we not really the negative team that we are frequently painted as being? ???

***BTW, if we just focus on Premier League goals, we lie in joint 3rd place (with Spurs) with a total of 53 goals (Mancs=58 and Arsenal=57).  We are actually second in the league in home goals (Spurs=37; LFC=36; Mancs & Arsenal=32) but are tied with Reading in 8th place for away goals (17).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:02 pm

man utd and arsenal and chelsea perhaps were more consistent with their wins like a 2-1 or 1-0. we on the other hand, were able to lose to an easy team or being held to a draw then trashing someone else 8-0. i dont think its a fluke. its just the killer instincts. every time i see us play i get so mad coz of the chances being created then some dick from argentina or someplace would pop up and score. and thankfully we have torres to finish them now. then the fact that some teams park a bus when at anfield is also another point in us winning less. perhaps if we had a player like luis garcia he could conjure something out of the blue. more goals doesnt mean more wins unfortunately.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby murphy0151 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:27 pm

The fact of the matter is people lstn to much to the so call no it all pundits.  The likes of Andy C u n t Gray, for some people instead of making there own assumptions of whats going on, on and of the field.  They lstn to these to form there own views.  These pundits get paid to talk :censored: and to be quite honest thats what most of them do.   Andy Gray goes on about zonal marking everytime we play.  About us losing so many goals because of it and so on.  The fact of the matter is mr Andy C u n t Gray is, that we have had one of the best defences in the prem under Mr Benitez ya thick c u nt.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 pm

murphy0151 wrote:The fact of the matter is people lstn to much to the so call no it all pundits.  The likes of Andy C u n t Gray, for some people instead of making there own assumptions of whats going on, on and of the field.  They lstn to these to form there own views.  These pundits get paid to talk :censored: and to be quite honest thats what most of them do.   Andy Gray goes on about zonal marking everytime we play.  About us losing so many goals because of it and so on.  The fact of the matter is mr Andy C u n t Gray is, that we have had one of the best defences in the prem under Mr Benitez ya thick c u nt.

totally agree how can the highest scoring team in the top divison be described as negative

the fact is rafa like all great managers built his team around a strong defence and this season was able to start his next stage the attack..buying players like torres babel lucas benyoun and voronin  :laugh:
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:57 pm

I don't think we're negative but we can still be rather boring to watch.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby RedBlood » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I don't think we're negative but we can still be rather boring to watch.

i think boring is harsh.... if you watched man u and arsenal as much as liverpool and not just the hughlights and odd games you would find they are not always great to watch... infact the last 3times ive watched utd play they have looked average
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Fact #1

Rafa said before the start of the season: "We'll be playing attacking football this year."

Fact #2

We've scored the most goals so far, so Rafa has made good on his promise.

Fact #3

You will still get moaning tw@ts that will still say Rafa is a negative coach that teaches a negative brand of football. How can this be, when clearly facts 1&2 are indeed facts. :D
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Just so we're on the same page, I've included our list of results in all comps so far this season.  If our 11 draws have been what have let us down this year--and they have--the flip side is the fact that we've scored 3 or more goals in 16 matches.  What a strange, see-saw season it's been! :nod

Aston Villa   1 - 2   Liverpool     Prem
Toulouse   0 - 1   Liverpool   CL
Liverpool   1 - 1   Chelsea   Prem
Sunderland     0 - 2 Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 4 - 0   Toulouse     CL
Liverpool 6 - 0   Derby Prem
Portsmouth     0 - 0    Liverpool     Prem
FC Porto        1 - 1 Liverpool     CL
Liverpool 0 - 0   Birmingham  Prem
Reading 2 - 4   Liverpool    Carling Cup
Wigan          0 - 1   Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 0 - 1   Marseille      CL
Liverpool 2 - 2   Tottenham   Prem
Everton 1 - 2 Liverpool      Prem
Besiktas 2 - 1   Liverpool     CL
Liverpool 1 - 1   Arsenal       Prem
Liverpool 2 - 1   Cardiff        Carling Cup
Blackburn      0 - 0     Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 8 - 0   Besiktas     CL
Liverpool 2 - 0   Fulham       Prem
Newcastle     0 - 3 Liverpool    Prem
Liverpool 4 - 1   FC Porto    CL
Liverpool 4 - 0   Bolton Prem
Reading 3 - 1 Liverpool     Prem
Marseille 0 - 4   Liverpool     CL
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man Utd      Prem
Chelsea 2 - 0 Liverpool     Carling Cup
Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth  Prem
Derby          1 - 2 Liverpool Prem
Man City 0 - 0 Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 1 - 1 Wigan        Prem
Luton          1 - 1 Liverpool FA Cup
Middlesbrough 1 - 1   Liverpool      Prem
Liverpool 5 - 0 Luton         FA Cup
Liverpool 2 - 2 Aston Villa Prem
Liverpool 5 - 2 H & W         FA Cup
West Ham      1 - 0   Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 3 - 0 Sunderland  Prem
Chelsea 0 - 0 Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 1 - 2 Barnsley     FA Cup
Liverpool 2 - 0 Inter Milan   CL
Liverpool 3 - 2 Middlesbrough Prem
Bolton          1 - 3 Liverpool      Prem
Liverpool 4 - 0 West Ham    Prem
Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle    Prem
Inter Milan 0 - 1 Liverpool     CL
Liverpool 2 - 1 Reading       Prem
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedBlood » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Man City 0 - 0 Liverpool     Prem
Liverpool 1 - 1 Wigan       Prem

4 draws and a defeat in succesive leauge games, 4 points from 15... this sadly is where our title challenge faded...the frustrating thing is if we played these games now we would probally be looking at 15 from 15points

live and learn boys
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 pm

RedBlood wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I don't think we're negative but we can still be rather boring to watch.

i think boring is harsh.... if you watched man u and arsenal as much as liverpool and not just the hughlights and odd games you would find they are not always great to watch... infact the last 3times ive watched utd play they have looked average

I don't think boring is to harsh. There's been games we're I've been put to sleep nearly. We may score goals, the facts prove that, but our play isn't all that enjoyable. It's still at times boring as well as games we're we've played better football than United and/or Arsenal. Newcaslte away springs to mind here.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:41 pm

RedBlood wrote:Man City 0 - 0 Liverpool     Prem

4 draws and a defeat in succesive leauge games, 4 points from 15... this sadly is where our title challenge faded...the frustrating thing is if we played these games now we would probally be looking at 15 from 15points

live and learn boys

Looks a bit like Arsenal's run at the moment, doesn't it?:

Arsenal 0 - 0 AC Milan
Birmingham 2 - 2 Arsenal
Arsenal 1 - 1 Aston Villa
AC Milan 0 - 2 Arsenal
Wigan 0 - 0 Arsenal
Arsenal 1 - 1 Middlesbrough
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Liverpool 2 - 0 Inter Milan   CL
Liverpool 3 - 2 Middlesbrough Prem
Bolton         1 - 3 Liverpool      Prem
Liverpool 4 - 0 West Ham    Prem
Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle    Prem
Inter Milan 0 - 1 Liverpool     CL
Liverpool 2 - 1 Reading       Prem

The gazelles running and jumping effect  :D

I have never found Rafa's ways in Liverpool negative. I've always seen the team attacking with many man, despite being dull at the definition at times. But never saw the team too defensive.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 pm

I think we are boring.But not all the time...

There are times we hit form and we beat teams 4-0, 5-0 but in between those forms is where we lack quality.I think.

Our football can be attractive the odd time.
holylamb2006

Postby RedBlood » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
RedBlood wrote:Man City 0 - 0 Liverpool     Prem

live and learn boys

Looks a bit like Arsenal's run at the moment, doesn't it?:

Arsenal 0 - 0 AC Milan
Birmingham 2 - 2 Arsenal
Arsenal 1 - 1 Aston Villa
AC Milan 0 - 2 Arsenal
Wigan 0 - 0 Arsenal
Arsenal 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

just goes to show the most important thing when it comes to winning the league...... consistancy
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby holylamb2006 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:25 pm

just goes to show the most important thing when it comes to winning the league...... consistancy

Yer obviously :D
holylamb2006

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion