Benfica transfer laurent robert - Simao move to england?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 am

From Sky:

One in, one out at Benfica
By Adam Marshall -  Created on 4 Jan 2006

Laurent Robert's arrival in Benfica is to signal the departure of Simao Sabrosa, with Manchester United emerging as possible suitors for the Portuguese midfielder.

Robert is in Lisbon to seal a deal with Benfica over a move from Portsmouth, where he has been playing on loan from Newcastle United.

"It will be a pleasure to play in Portugal and I come here to give 100 percent," he told A Bola.

"Benfica are a super-club and it's magnificent to be able to play in the Champions League, I am here for that.

"I came to Benfica because it was a club that were interested in me and now I am going to sign and stay here."

The Frenchman's move should see captain Simao depart but Liverpool have fresh rivals in their bid to sign the classy 26-year-old.

Sources in Lisbon have indicated that Manchester United view the player as a possible long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs, after being impressed with his work in the UEFA Champions League defeat at Old Trafford.

Simao scored with a free kick in that game, although he missed his side's 2-1 defeat of The Red Devils that ended United's European interest for another season.

Liverpool were close to signing the talented schemer in the summer but the deal collapsed at the last minute.

A Premiership switch is high on his list of priorities and it seems certain that he will be quitting Estadio da Luz in the near future, despite Benfica's progress in Europe.

I felt it necessary to post this topic here because of the upcoming Benfica fixture in the Champions League, and also that it involves a future Liverpool midfield prospect being courted by the :censored: at ManUre.

I hope Simao doesn't come to Liverpool, just quietly. I would much prefer the quality and speed of Joaquin, would suit our needs. Simao would bring too much baggage, seeing that we are playing Benfica next round, and even though he would be cup tied, I don't think this signing would prove much at LFC. Then again, I haven't seen him play as much as I have Joaquin, albeit, the Spanish League is a lot tougher than the Portuguese League, and we would get a lot more from Joaquin IMO.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:46 am

mmm.. Is he actually that good. Simao. I would only get him if the price is not high. Since ManU is around, I am sure the price will be hiked. Moreover he is cuptied. We need players for immediate impact and results.
hobbes

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am

Looks like Benfica are trying to beef up the price again.
Rafa wont pay over the odds, so the more they want the less chance he has of coming to LFC.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:33 am

I agree with el stinger. Joaquin is the man we need if we want to keep the momentum of the progress we have made. I have only seen Simao in one game against Man u in the first leg (he was out of the second). He did score from a free kick but that was about it really. I was far more impressed with the way Joaquin played against us.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:11 am

Well have to forkl out a bit but i think we do have the financial spending to bring him in if thats what Rafa wants. Word of warning though , dont everybody get your hopes up too much on Joaquin signing. Weve read that he wants to come to Liverpool but we havent read anywhere that Rafa is actiually interested. In fact Rafa has refusted rumors that we are interested in him. Wether that was one of Rafa tricks to keep the price standard, i dont know, But we all know that apart from being a brilliant man he can sometimes be shrewd in the transfer market. He may opt for a just as good player in his eyes but of a cheaper price tag ie: Dario Srna, Malbranque ect.......Then after we sign another winger there will be threads blasting Rafa for letting him slip away like the countless Owen threads there were. Yes Joquin is a good player but lest we forget hes probabaly the most expensive player in terms of our spending power.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:17 am

I'm unsure about Simao, we need a RM and all the reports I've seen say that he is a LW, I don't care if he can play on the right cos we need an out and out right footed winger not someone with a left foot that can play on the right ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Paul C wrote:I'm unsure about Simao, we need a RM and all the reports I've seen say that he is a LW, I don't care if he can play on the right cos we need an out and out right footed winger not someone with a left foot that can play on the right ???

I think Simoa is primarily a RM but can also play on the left.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm

no, get JOAQUIN rafa!!!
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Either benfica are playing games again or man utd are yet again moving for one of our targets :/
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:05 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:
Paul C wrote:I'm unsure about Simao, we need a RM and all the reports I've seen say that he is a LW, I don't care if he can play on the right cos we need an out and out right footed winger not someone with a left foot that can play on the right ???

I think Simoa is primarily a RM but can also play on the left.

Hmm, he tends to play all over the place.

He's right footed no question about that, but he tends to start on the left wing for Benfica and likes to cut inside a lot, he's not exactly a guy who will take it to the byline all the time. He can play on the right also though and in past seasons he has played up front for Benfica and been their leading goalscorer.

He's a very good footballer, good crosser, good first touch, pacey and he carries a real goal threat.

I'd be happy if we signed him as I think he's an excellent footballer but I'm not sure if he'd adapt to the PL (How many times is that said about a potential signing!), and he's not an out and out right winger. It depends what Rafa wants, himself and Kewell could compliment each other quite well, and Chelsea have shown with Duff and Robben that having two wide players who tend to swap throughout the game can be very effective.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:14 pm

i've spoken of joaquin even before the rumours about simao. get joaquin at all cost!

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:18 pm

If the price is right which it wont be as Betis will look to get whatever they can as there bound to be relegated then im sure Rafa would consider him. Remember also that if we got Simao he would come in Jan but Joaquin has already said hes staying to help his club till the end of the season. A lot of the big stars at Betis will be on their way out aif they get relegated. Im not saying we dont have the money but i think a cash + player deal would be the best thing.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:21 pm

bavlondon wrote:i think a cash + player deal would be the best thing.

So instead of £17M , £10 + Traore?

:D  :p  :D
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:23 pm

what i`ve seen of simao tells me he`s a bit lightweight for the prem, plus he`s one of those players that flings himself to the ground at the slightest bit of contact and rolls around until the ref stops the game.
couldnt put up with those antic`s.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby josip84 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:13 pm

Robert going to Benfica means Simao coming to Liverpool, which will eventually result in Cisse going to Marseille.
josip84

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion