Bellamy and kewell to lead mass exodus from liverp

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue May 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Contract negotiations are not progressing as seamlessly with the Spanish international as with Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Steve Finnan, who have all agreed new deals that will be signed on their return to Merseyside, and the £10.7m capture from Real Sociedad will be reluctant to commit his future to Liverpool if he is omitted against the Rossoneri.

If this was true, I'd sack Alonso without hesitations.

But FWIW, I don't think it's true. This things always appear before great games to unsettle us.

While Pako Aiestaran says that we need deeper squad, I don't see major "exodus" to be honest, but only the expected ones. Fowler, Hyypia if after talking with Rafa isn't convinced of his role in the club, and maybe a couple of surprises. But... no major exodus in my view!

The important things are the quotes. Sure we'll sign up players to have proper depth, but signing up players DOESN'T MEAN the good ones you have are leaving.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 22, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 pm

el_stinger wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:
mungi wrote:it woul dbe mad to let kewell and alonso go. u need depth to win the prem and they provide it

That's exactly right. Considering the injuries we had in midfield (I think we had Riise and Carra covering at one point) we would be wise to hold onto Kewell and Alonso.

It would be wise to try and keep a hold of Alonso, but Kewell has not justified his wages since he has arrived.

Saying this from an Aussie POV, sell him Rafa!! Get rid of the dead weight!! Glimpses of form don't work for Gonzo or Bellamy, why should it for Harry?

TBH there are better LWérs out there especially now that we have a handsome transfer kitty.

The "glimpses" you talk about are glimpses because he's struggled for fitness. It would be ridiculous to spend all that time and money getting him fit and then sell him off. If he stays fit he's an automatic selection week in, week out...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Wed May 23, 2007 7:41 am

Eto'o has confirmed he is staying at Barca so them silly rumors can finally stop.
kobashi

Postby Salty Sock » Wed May 23, 2007 7:50 am

kobashi wrote:Eto'o has confirmed he is staying at Barca so them silly rumors can finally stop.

Kobashi has defoggulated our worries it would appear.
Greatness!
Salty Honors Acceptee List: Graham01, grayghost, dawson99, Bamaga Man, GYBS, LegBarnes, frankp57, Toffeehater, crazyhorse , Number 9, dward, Judge, Sabre :) PM for info!

Salty Sock

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 am

s@int wrote:I think this is a case of the article speaking for itself.

I personally dont think Alonso or Kewell will be leaving, mainly because I think Rafa has enough sense to realise you hang on to quality players even if they have had injury problems or a poor season. The only other player in the list I would like to hang onto is Hyypia but I would understand if he wanted to leave for more game time.

Unfortunately most of his threads start with an article, no question, no opinion... I have no problem with him posting news articles, it'd just be nice to actually hear from him and his views on an article...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 am

AussieKopite wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:
mungi wrote:it woul dbe mad to let kewell and alonso go. u need depth to win the prem and they provide it

That's exactly right. Considering the injuries we had in midfield (I think we had Riise and Carra covering at one point) we would be wise to hold onto Kewell and Alonso.

It would be wise to try and keep a hold of Alonso, but Kewell has not justified his wages since he has arrived.

Saying this from an Aussie POV, sell him Rafa!! Get rid of the dead weight!! Glimpses of form don't work for Gonzo or Bellamy, why should it for Harry?

TBH there are better LWérs out there especially now that we have a handsome transfer kitty.

The "glimpses" you talk about are glimpses because he's struggled for fitness. It would be ridiculous to spend all that time and money getting him fit and then sell him off. If he stays fit he's an automatic selection week in, week out...

Maybe so, but he still hasn't justified a contract extension.

Maybe Rafa will keep him for next season, and put him in the shop window for any takers. We need some $$ for him.

I think he's more of a liability than an asset. Certainly has not justified his wages. Not at all. I don't think anyone can say otherwise.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed May 23, 2007 11:51 am

Espionage wrote:I cant believe the stuff the media is spouting about Alonso not starting one game.  It was obviously a tactical decision to play Pennant on the right and Gerrard throught he middle.  I would have thought that Alonso is about as untouchable as they come in our squad at the moment.

No one is "untouchable" at Liverpool. If you don't pull your weight, out ye go, or you're replaced with someone better. Simple as that. Alonso could go easily, and if someone better were to replace him, I'd be happy about it. Doubtful though.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Salty Sock » Wed May 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Espionage wrote:I cant believe the stuff the media is spouting about Alonso not starting one game.  It was obviously a tactical decision to play Pennant on the right and Gerrard throught he middle.  I would have thought that Alonso is about as untouchable as they come in our squad at the moment.

No one is "untouchable" at Liverpool. If you don't pull your weight, out ye go, or you're replaced with someone better. Simple as that. Alonso could go easily, and if someone better were to replace him, I'd be happy about it. Doubtful though.

You beat me to it Emerald.
We want as much quality input as possible, this 'untouchable' notion you continue to mention is ultimately the oppressive force that restrains us from our true possibilities. We must be willing to make sacrifices to progress.
Salty Honors Acceptee List: Graham01, grayghost, dawson99, Bamaga Man, GYBS, LegBarnes, frankp57, Toffeehater, crazyhorse , Number 9, dward, Judge, Sabre :) PM for info!

Salty Sock

Postby Carragher23 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:27 am

I can see us bringing in some real quality over the summer.  I am also keen for Bellamy to go.  I think there will always be personal problems with this guy.  This season already he has been in court for apparently assualting a bird in a club and also had the incident with John Arne!

Ship him out Rafa!  Lets hope we sign Tevez!
Carragher23

Postby Owzat » Thu May 24, 2007 10:09 am

AussieKopite wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:

Big IFs, he gets fit when finals are approaching then gets crocked. Harry Kewell has made just 75 appearances in the past three seasons, out of 180 competitive games played by Liverpool that is a meagre 41.67%. He's also scored just five goals in 75 appearances which isn't great

Harry Kewell (2004/5-2006/7)

with Kewell P75 W39 D15 L21 F112 A69 (Won 52.00%)
w/o Kewell P105 W65 D15 L25 F164 A83 (Won 61.90%)

Fair enough around 40% of those games were played in 2004/5 which wasn't a great season but he was still part of the team that won/drew/lost those games or wasn't in the team so it's a fair kop

With his fitness such a big concern I would sell Kewell while he is fit and could attract a fee, it's better than hoping he stays fit and produces form. How many clubs really benefit from a sicknote? And considering he's played 40% of Liverpool games it is frustrating that he's appeared in 66.67% of the cup finals - League Cup, Champions League x2 and Club World Championship final missing the FA Cup and Super Cup. I'm sure people will claim he tries to get fit and should play when fit, but when someone misses virtually a whole season, then miraculously gets fit ahead of a BIG final, you have to ask if they had worked as hard to get fit all the time if they couldn't have been fit weeks or months ago. Maybe not, but being fit in time for finals perhaps reflects the kind of incentives that keep some players going
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu May 24, 2007 10:12 am

I hope to see a lethal Harry Kewell but to be honest I just dont see it.  We need to sign a LW and as we cant rely on Kewell.  I cant see Kewell reaching the heights of his Leeds day's.
puroresu

Postby kazza » Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 am

We have to make sure they do NOT let him play for the Socceroos in the summer. He WILL get injured.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRIMM599 » Thu May 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Not sure where to put this, so here will do. I have read people saying alonso maybe leaving but rafa has just confirmed this is not true!
Rafa Rubbishes Alonso exit
GRIMM599

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm

From BBC...

Definitely going: Robbie Fowler, Jerzy Dudek
Likely to leave: Bolo Zenden, Mark Gonzalez, Sami Hyypia, Craig Bellamy
Will listen to offers for: Peter Crouch, Harry Kewell, Jermaine Pennant

i'd agree pretty much with that.
except for maybe hyypia if we don't have decent cover for agger and carragher (palletta is a disastear waiting to happen)
also, i feel pennant deserves one more season.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:From BBC...

Definitely going: Robbie Fowler, Jerzy Dudek
Likely to leave: Bolo Zenden, Mark Gonzalez, Sami Hyypia, Craig Bellamy
Will listen to offers for: Peter Crouch, Harry Kewell, Jermaine Pennant

Agree with all those except Sami who is needed for rotation duties !

How sad though that the majority of them were on duty last night and that 2 of them were only bought 12 months ago.

Its a statement of where we are today and where we need to go.......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion