All new official Klopp thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 am

get in there boss!

talks about a new contract is well underway according to Bascombe and maddock.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am

How do you guys rank him compared to Rafa now?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:58 am

He is above Rafa for me
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Above Rafa, better style of football
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:57 pm

maguskwt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am wrote:How do you guys rank him compared to Rafa now?

Mustn't forget the conditions (owner's) Rafa had to work with.

Luv Rafa to bit's  BUT if I had to choose a leader for our club, it'll be Jurgen everyday of the week.

For the sheer energy, motivation and togetherness he's brought to the club,  I wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

Our most revered manager Bill Shankly is perhaps remembered by us old guy's more for the way he actually transformed the club into a real footballing force more so than the honours he won.

In this new era of football for me Jurgen Klopp, could be,  a new Bill Shankly born again ! 

All he's gotta do now is emulate "Bob Paisley"    :D    :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am wrote:
maguskwt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am wrote:How do you guys rank him compared to Rafa now?

Luv Rafa to bit's  BUT if I had to choose a leader for our club, it'll be Jurgen everyday of the week.

For the sheer energy, motivation and togetherness he's brought to the club,  I wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

Our most revered manager Bill Shankly is perhaps remembered by us old guy's more for the way he actually transformed the club into a real footballing force more so than the honours he won.

In this new era of football for me Jurgen Klopp, could be,  a new Bill Shankly born again ! 

Absolutely spot on :buttrock
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am wrote:

Klopp’s football is a lot more exciting than Rafa’s so for that I would say Klopp but as you said Rafa had a lot to deal with and would never have been able to buy the most expensive defender or keeper. I wish Rafa had good owners as I think it made a huge impact on what he was able to achieve.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Under Rafa, we were still effective with Alonso, Gerrard, mascherano and Torres up front. Hard to compare.

For him to surpass Rafa, he has to deliver the league title, at least once in his tenure.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm

As others have mentioned Rafa had a lot on his plate when he first arrived (e.g the man who brought him to the club Moores having to sell up because he had no money, Owen and Gerrard wanting out, inheriting a squad full of overpriced flops like Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan, Vignal, Le Tallec, Pongolle etc etc) so it's difficult to compare.
Jurgen's teams definitely play a more exciting brand of football I'd say that. Rafa did let the fans know that the club had been bought by a pair of carpetbaggers when he could have easily sat there and taken a wage though.
They are both great managers, we've been very lucky on that score.
Hopefully the club won't make the same mistake that we did with Rafa and let Jurgen slip through our fingers. They should build a Shankly-esque dynasty around him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:26 pm

Yup keep him and back him with what he wants. It is pivotal we keep strengthening in the right areas. If we are to begin something special then it has started since we won No.6.

I feel we need a world class AN someone in the mold of Hazard, KDB or Liverpools Coutinho.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm wrote:As others have mentioned Rafa had a lot on his plate when he first arrived (e.g the man who brought him to the club Moores having to sell up because he had no money, Owen and Gerrard wanting out, inheriting a squad full of overpriced flops like Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan, Vignal, Le Tallec, Pongolle etc etc) so it's difficult to compare.
Jurgen's teams definitely play a more exciting brand of football I'd say that. Rafa did let the fans know that the club had been bought by a pair of carpetbaggers when he could have easily sat there and taken a wage though.
Hopefully the club won't make the same mistake that we did with Rafa and let Jurgen slip through our fingers. They should build a Shankly-esque dynasty around him.

Do you not remember the squad Klopp had when he arrived? The club had just spent £32 mil on Benteke !!
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm wrote:As others have mentioned Rafa had a lot on his plate when he first arrived (e.g the man who brought him to the club Moores having to sell up because he had no money, Owen and Gerrard wanting out, inheriting a squad full of overpriced flops like Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan, Vignal, Le Tallec, Pongolle etc etc) so it's difficult to compare.

Do you not remember the squad Klopp had when he arrived? The club had just spent £32 mil on Benteke !!

Klopp improved EVERYONE he trains. He lifts them mentally and technically  And that's reflected by the fact that his first game (against Spurs of all people  :D ) featured some of the players who won us the CL and notched up 97 points.

Liverpool’s starting 11 v Spurs 2015 (we drew 0-0)
Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana, Coutinho, Origi
Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

But we were rudderless. No direction on the field and or with transfers. We had wasted over 100 million on Benteke, Markovic, Balotelli, Sakho and Ings. 

Klopp had his work cut out  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm

I would consider Klopp on equal footing with Rafa as of this moment but has potential to surpass Rafa.

Case for Rafa
1. As others mentioned, Rafa had to deal with tremendous difficulties under twit and *****. Sell to buy policy, which was way worse than FSG's early years.
2. Rafa built an awesome team (until Torres). Subsequent recruitments were undermined by the owners and key players leaving.
3. Won CL in his first year and the FA cup in the next year. Also challenged for the title one season.
4. High level strategist that can out strategize the best teams in Europe.

Case for Klopp
1. The team seems to be consistently improving under Klopp
2. Elite trainer that can get the best out of the players he has at disposal
3. Recently has become flexible in the way the team plays, the team can be pragmatic as well as play at a high tempo and exciting style
4. The performance of the team in the league under Klopp has been way better than Rafa's team. Rafa was guilty of tinkering too much in the league. If it weren't for Man City (Pep Guardiola and a team built on endless budget), we would have won the league. 97 points! come on.
5. Great man management

However, the reason Klopp hasn't surpassed Rafa is that he'd only just one his first trophy under good owners. So if he wins another Cup and challenges for the league title again, I'd rate him higher than Rafa.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm

I'd argue that it's tougher for Klopp as the league is a lot more competitive now.
Granted the likes of United, Arsenal and Chelsea had brilliant sides back then, United with the likes of Ronaldo, Scholes, Rooney, Ferdinand, Tevez etc were arguably as good if not better than this current City team, in fact Roy Keane was still at United when Rafa was there because it was a Luis Garcia challenge which effectively ended his career at United.
There wasn't the depth that there is now though. Outside the top 4 the next best team in Rafa's day was Moyes's Everton, it's much tougher now with Liverpool, City, United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all having competative teams.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:15 pm

What seems like a long time ago I stated that I didn't rate Jurgen Klopp and in those first few months I couldn't see anything that was going to persuade me otherwise. On more than one occasion I said I just didn't get him at all and he seemed to be wrapped up in his own hype. However, here I sit letting you all know that over the last 12-18 months I've grown quite fond of him and some of you were right to state 'give him time' as now he has moulded this team into a force once again.
I actually LOVE the guy and his reaction to winning the Big Eared lump a'metal for the 6th time was just great to watch. He certainly has changed my opinion in recent months that's for sure.
Long may he reign and long may he challenge the moneybags of City and push them all the way.

Well done Jurgen, you're an Anfield legend!  :buttrock
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion