Alan smith - Don't do it gerrard!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2004 10:33 am

With Leeds now doomed to the Nationwide and the entire squad being linked with clubs left, right and centre we are once again, linked with Alan Smith.
Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player. He's strong as an ox, holds the ball up, plays well with his back to goal, tackles back and works for the team. Sound like anyone we know?
It looks like big Emile will be on his way in the summer so i see little point in buying Heskey mark 2. Apart from the obvious disciplinary problems, Smith has hardly been prolific for Leeds. I don't think he has scored more than 17/18 goals in season. If i had a choice between the 2, i would go for Viduka ahead of Smith (i'm not saying i want Viduka) but atleast Viduka might weigh in with some goals to take the pressure off Mikey.

As for the rest of the Leeds squad. I'm not sure there is anyone else worth pinching, maybe Robinson?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 04, 2004 11:22 am

yeah i agree with what you said about smith, i dont think he would be the type of signing we need. Liverpool need another goal scorer which smith definetly isnt his highest league total is 11.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 04, 2004 11:35 am

I have a nasty feeling that Houllier will pinch one or two players from Leeds.

6 months ago I advocated signing Viduka but his conduct at Leeds this season has been disgraceful.

I think Houllier will be interested in Smith and Bakke: two "battlers" and "runners" to add to his collection of work horses.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 04, 2004 12:09 pm

can someone please tell me how many times alan smith has scored 15+ goals in a season? exactly. he's not what we need by a long shot.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 04, 2004 12:57 pm

Smith is another Heskey, he only gets in the England team (now & then) because England have so few top forwards.

Viduka would be much better although he has acted the spa over the last year.

still if £5m could get Viduka, I'd prefer him over £14m for a french player I haven't seen much of and who is unproven in a top league.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 04, 2004 1:05 pm

i don't think i'd want a guy playing for us who can be as petulant as viduka was on sunday. to get sent off like that in the biggest game in leeds history was a disgrace.

as for smith and heskey. they are similar in a way and it does sum up the lack of top english goalscorers around. i mean vassell and rooney hardly score bucketloads either do they? compare this to 1996 when we had shearer, sheringham, cole, collymore, fowler, wright and it makes you think what has happened to all the great english strikers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2004 3:59 pm

I wouldn't get particularly excited if we signed Viduka but would take him over some of the unproven/uncertain guys we are often linked with.

There is no doubt that Viduka has some talent. He knows where the goal is and has very quick feet for a big man. Plus I figure him and Kewell have a telepathic relationship as they don't talk to eachother :)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 04, 2004 4:02 pm

if i could take any striker in the premiership it would be angel. i think the guy has found his feet and is now looking a real class act. best header of the ball in the premiership aswell. he's signing a new contract at villa anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 04, 2004 4:06 pm

stmichael wrote:as for smith and heskey. they are similar in a way and it does sum up the lack of top english goalscorers around. i mean vassell and rooney hardly score bucketloads either do they? compare this to 1996 when we had shearer, sheringham, cole, collymore, fowler, wright and it makes you think what has happened to all the great english strikers.

Good point, when you look at the possibilities for England (euro 2004) there's not much to choose from. Mikey apart I would expect most of Englands goals to come from midfield.
As for Smith, no thanks, been there done that bought the T.shirt. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2004 4:07 pm

Had never really thought of him before + Don't see the Villa play all that often. One of my students is a Villa fan and he is always raving about the guy.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue May 04, 2004 4:09 pm

I wouldn't be that suprised to see Alan Smith on the right wing next season
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 04, 2004 6:19 pm

Angel has had a good season but you need more than 1 good season. He had a few cr#p ones and guys like Philips used to score every week and now rarely scores.

I think you only know a quality striker when he has 2-3 good seasons in a row like Van NistleRoy (can't spell the f##kers name)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Tue May 04, 2004 10:44 pm

Bring in Smith he's what heskey should be and isnt afraid like bruno is. Houllier likes playing strikers on the wing and smithy is better than diouf and heskey at that. Come on Smithy
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue May 11, 2004 1:35 pm

Great logic - buy a striker because he's better on the wing ??? Better still, let's not. If we're going to buy from weaker Premiership sides it should be quality, not cr@p floating around a sinking ship. It should be right player, not right price. Saying that, we shouldn't pay over the odds for the "next Henry"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 11, 2004 4:20 pm

Playing a striker on the wing is stupid, its like hiring a plumber to fix your car.

If you want a striker, buy a guy who scores. Viduka, Hasselbank are proven scorers in premiership, both are strong and a bit firey, Heskey would cry if he thought Ghandi looked at him sideways.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion