Alan smith - Fair play

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:13 am

I liked him when he was at Leeds and then he done the unthinkable....he joined the scum much to the digust of the Leeds fans and everyone else in the football world....

But he seems a good bloke and after what happened him at the cup game at Anfield last season he had this to say....

From Sky Sports..

Manchester United striker Alan Smith says he bears no ill-feelings towards those supporters who attacked his ambulance after he was injured at Anfield earlier this year.

Smith was rushed to hospital back in February after suffering a horrendous leg break during The Red Devils' FA Cup loss to Liverpool.

The former Leeds United ace remembers little about the incident after the accident, but thinks people should focus on the positives and not the aftermath in the Merseyside streets.

Smith was quick to thank Liverpool for their support and is set to thank them personally when he goes head to head with The Reds at Old Trafford on Sunday.

"Unfortunately, people drag up the tiny part about the ambulance," explained Smith. "We are talking about one person in a million.

"It is sad we always seem to want to dwell on the negatives rather than the positives. I never really noticed anyway, so there are no negative feelings from my point of view.

"For every individual doing something like that, there were loads and loads, particularly at Liverpool, who wished me well. John Arne Riise got in touch, as did most of their players.

"You cannot put a price on the lengths people will go to in an effort to try and help you, most of which is not seen.

"If the people from Liverpool had not acted as swiftly as they did, the situation could have been a lot worse and it will be nice to have a chance to thank them personally on Sunday."

Cheers Alan  :bowdown
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 am

Good lad  :bowdown
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:24 am

You always got the impression with Alan Smith that he's a decent bloke. People slate him for joining the Mancs but those same people forget he was one of the last of the "big name" players to jump ship.

The quality he brings to the whole episode last season is "perspective". As he rightly says many more people wished him well and he wants to acknowledge that on Sunday.

OK, he plays for our arch rivals but I for one wasn't singing that ridiculous "Riise" song when I witnessed his appalling injury . In fact I had words with guys who sit around me on the KOP for their poor taste and lack of sportsmanship and compassion.

Whats so wrong with feeling genuine sympathy for a player who has suffered such an injury ? Have we all become so far up ourselves and repressed that we feel that it's a sign of weakness to show a modicum of concern? ??? 

I'm afraid many fans judge their own so called support of their team not in terms of how much they Love LFC but how much they Hate everyone else ..............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 am

Good words Daglish, I think its very big of Alan Smith to come out and say something like this on the eve of such a big game especially when he didnt have to

Just for a min put yourself in his boots just as he got that injury on our pitch, now think about the abuse he had to take of all them muppets singing songs against him and then his ambulance is attacked outside the ground.

If that was you would you be saying what he has just said......

A top bloke   :bowdown
Last edited by Dundalk on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42 am

Credit where it's due.

Thanks Alan. You may play for our arch-rivals, but you are obviously a  top man.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45 am

I didn't like the bloke before the incident, and I don't like him now.

What I will say is that I have the utmost respect for the way he's addressed what happened last year. As Dundalk says, he didn't have to say anything, and the tone of what he has said just has to be applauded as far as I'm concerned.

An example of honesty, humility and diplomacy that I think others in the game can learn from.

Still a c*nt though. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby vlady16.1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52 am

for a guy who plays like he does that was very good

i always liked the heart he put into it and at least he didn't cry like a baby -- i give you your props

now i also hope you 'wonderful lads' lose by 12 -- this is personal as my ex wife is a major scum fan -- i want her to cry thinking how happy i am

rafa please get god in there-- it would really :censored: her off if he scored
vlady16.1

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:54 am

vlady16.1 wrote:now i also hope you 'wonderful lads' lose by 12 -- this is personal as my ex wife is a major scum fan -- i want her to cry thinking how happy i am

Married a Manc ? It was doomed from the start lad :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:55 am

:laugh: yeah but i got the dog in the divorce!!!!!!!! :bowdown
vlady16.1

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:00 am

Question :What have Women and Hurricanes got in common ?

Answer : When they come their wet and wild and when they leave they take the house and the car !! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:01 am

Dalglish wrote:Question :What have Women and Hurricanes got in common ?

Answer : When they come their wet and wild and when they leave they take the house and the car !! :D

:D
Very good
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:03 am

:eyebrow got those too!!!!!!!!!
vlady16.1

Postby jkop » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 am

Fair play to the bloke, spoke like a gentleman pity the rest of the scum couldnt follow his lead.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:23 am

Yeah, fair play to the lad. You couldnt imagine Gary f**kin Neville sayin that if he were in Smiths shoes could ya?
crouchaldinho

Postby dilbertsbanana » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:48 am

I was already to have a go, saying alan smith was just a c*** but...he came across well

nice one smiffy
meep meep
dilbertsbanana

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion