Smith - Why?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 11:39 am

i read today that we are to challenge manure for the signing of alan smith after they had two bids of 3.5m and 5.5m rejected yesterday? apparently houllier wants him to replace emile.

one question. do we really need another striker with cisse's arrival? i can't understand why we need him when we've got baros and sinama pongolle. also, he doesn't score enough goals and i can't really see him transferring the same passion to us as he did to leeds.

concentrate on the positions that really matter first for god's sake.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed May 19, 2004 11:42 am

I think Smith can play up front of on the wing like Kewell can, Man U up'd their bid to £8m today and I think he'll sign for them.  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 11:44 am

the guy has been brought up to hate manure though and i can't understand how he can contemplate joining them. it just proves that this whole concept of badge kissing is absolute b#llocks. there's bad blood between the two due to the cantona and ferdinand transfers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 19, 2004 11:46 am

Sounds like paper talk again!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 11:48 am

from the lfc website.

Chief executive Rick Parry met the England international's representative Alex Black yesterday to confirm Liverpool will rival United in the pursuit of the £6m-rated striker.

???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 19, 2004 11:51 am

Oh dear

Why!
Why
Why Why
WHY

Whats the point what could he bring to the team!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 11:53 am

if that is true then milan baros might as well slap in a transfer request because he will just be rotting as about 4th choice striker. it would be an incredible waste of an exceptional talent. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed May 19, 2004 11:57 am

We do need more striker, but not Smithy or of any similar class, else he will be dumped like Baros for we got Cisse already while Owen's still around. Also Pongolle and Baros.
All we need is "Henry" or none at all.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 19, 2004 11:59 am

Milan has much more ability then smith!

I cant belive that Smith will be signed if he is then i'm seriously doubting what is going on at LFC
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 12:01 pm

someone should tell lfc that it is quality that matters not quantity. there's no point creating a massive squad who the majority of will become unhappy when they're not playing regularly. you can call it ambition but will smith be able to enhance his career by coming to us? i don't think so.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 19, 2004 12:56 pm

i read today that we are to challenge manure for the signing of alan smith after they had two bids of 3.5m and 5.5m rejected yesterday? apparently houllier wants him to replace emile.

one question. do we really need another striker with cisse's arrival? i can't understand why we need him when we've got baros and sinama pongolle. also, he doesn't score enough goals and i can't really see him transferring the same passion to us as he did to leeds.

concentrate on the positions that really matter first for god's sake.

Considering he was a "Liverpool fan" when he was a boy.

All this life long Leeds fan ****** annoys me, i witnessed him saying on national television when he was a kid he used to support Liverpool on an FA show about lilleshaw and Michael Owen was on the same show. Smith also said he used to play right back.

At the minute he's better than anything we have other than Owen and would add something different. He's certainly a better footballer than Baros and Pongolle at the minute so for 5million why not?
115-1073096938

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 19, 2004 2:34 pm

Not the player i would buy. If you are looking for someone to lead the line then Smith is a good player to have on board. He's strong, has a sure touch, works hard and is great in the air. Very similar to Heskey in many ways. Unfortunately he is about as prolific as Heskey and is likely to earn more yellow cards than goals. With Cisse on the way i don't really see the need to sign Smith (he will cost about 7mil) when there are other areas that need to be addressed. Also, it would be telling Baros to collect his duffle coat on the way out.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 3:05 pm

i really hope this joey barton rumour isn't true. he's not the calibre of player we need. we've already got enough squad players. we need a top class playmaker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed May 19, 2004 3:18 pm

I hope Baros goes somewhere else and bigs 20 a season cos Houllier is just wasting an exciting player  :(

On the other hand he'll probably buy Smith and play him out of possition like he done with loadsa of player, Smicer is a striker and he plays on the right.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion