A tale of two teams - Away form must improve

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:46 am

Dalglish wrote:I'd play Carra at left back and have Josemi at right back.

With Carra out left Dalgleish who would you play alongside Sammi ?
Henchoz ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:47 am

woof woof ! wrote:Defensivly we always look as though we could concede a goal and your right AB

Graz Away and WBA and Norwich at home are the only ganes we have kept a clean sheet.

Arsenal have kept only 2 clean sheets in the Prem this season I think but have the uncanny knack of scoring more than the other team  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 am

Hi AB, if you look again at my previous post I'd like to see a new Signing there (Gallas preferbly). In the absence of a new signing then I'd stick with Carra for now.

Nothing perosnally against Carra but against the very best strikers (henry, horseface, Drogba etc....he will struggle)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 am

I hope that if we have a good result against Olympiakos that we don't get too cocky or overconfident. Rafa will go for a win against both Olympiakos and Chelsea, and our players have to be on the same page Rafa is. I don't want to see a repeat of Manchester United game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:51 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi AB, if you look again at my previous post I'd like to see a new Signing there (Gallas preferbly). In the absence of a new signing then I'd stick with Carra for now.

Nothing perosnally against Carra but against the very best strikers (henry, horseface, Drogba etc....he will struggle)

I completely agree. I think the key to getting a draw or winning a game against Chelsea is to score before they do. Southampton did that but messed up, first they had an own goal [clumsy Beattie] and the other they gave a penalty.

If Chelsea score first, they will sit on that one goal for the whole game with solid defending and we don't want that.

We also don't want to defend the entire game like Boro did, we have to ballance out our defending and attacking.
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:55 am

As I've said before this season is a formative one and Benitez is learning about this players all the time.

You often learn more about the qualities of your team and players against the tougher teams and next weeks game against Chelsea will help Benitez see his need for a defender or two. I'd take a draw now ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:56 am

I'd take a draw as well. I hope that Benitez has learned something from Manchester United game. In the second half we showed that we can play against a top club but we were careless and let another goal in.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:56 am

Seems a long time ago when LFC could sit and confidently play for a nil nil draw. Nowadays I'm nervous as hell even when we are one goal up knowing that any meaningful attack could see us fu ck it up .I hope Rafa's game plan isn't to go to chelsea looking for the draw. The two goals conceded to Man U show just how flimsy our defence can be. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:02 am

woof woof ! wrote:Seems a long time ago when LFC could sit and confidently play for a nil nil draw. Nowadays I'm nervous as hell even when we are one goal up knowing that any meaningful attack could see us fu ck it up .I hope Rafa's game plan isn't to go to chelsea looking for the draw. The two goals conceded to Man U show just how flimsy our defence can be. :(

You have to give our defence some kind of credit. Before we played Man Utd. we didn't let goals in from set-pieces. We slacked off against the Mancs, that sums up our performance against them.

The players know that Chelsea are tough, they won't take them lightly like they did with the Mancs, I only hope that we dont use the 4-5-1 formation because that formation hasn't been affective at all.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:12 am

A.B. wrote:, they won't take them lightly like they did with the Mancs,

AB I'm trying hard to take you seriously but comments like this make it really difficult.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:21 am

Guys, I hope we don't rely on the zonal marking system at set pieces against Chelski and man-mark for a change, otherwise, we will continue to give away goals cheaply.

In midfield and attack, we are starting to develop as a good passing team and would have an even chance of getting a goal, as long as we don't play timidly like against manure. Rio Ferdinand singled out Garcia as a threat and set out to unsettle him from the very beggining by a few crunching tackles on him. i would like to think that Garcia will have come to terms with that kind of treatment and that Alonso will continue bossing the middle. The only thing is that our holding midfielder, Hamann, while good, can't match the likes of Makelele or Viera and this may expose our rather fragile central defenders.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:29 am

i respect rafa's tactic, but i may be having a heart attack during the match if zonal marking to be applied against alikes of chelsea.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:30 am

Well i think Rafa likes the zonal defense and from that snippet on the LFC TV after MANC game i think he will continue to perserve with it.
Pity this game isnt a few more weeks away
I didnt put that much stock into Spurs match in relation to viewing away form , first game of the season and all that. Bolton was a shocker and a wounded MANCs away was always going to be tough
I think a better indication will come after the away game in Greece but like others i be happy with 2 away draws
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:34 am

Zonal marking can work well if the backfour rafalution has completed
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:35 am

Zonal marking is OK for open play if our defenders are quick, or if it works, we can continue to deploy a zonal marking game. just don't do it for set peices...it will be suicide.

I remember reading stories by Alan Hansen saying that Liverpool used to play zonal marking during his time - but then, he and his partners were quick, now our defence is lumbering and not as mobile...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion