Are we going to get 4th spot? - Are we the best of a bad bunch?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Are we going to get 4th spot? - Are we the best of a bad bunch?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 12

Postby Coley » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:24 pm

I've not posted for a while what with work (where i am now!) etc.

Just wanted to guage what people's feelings were going in to the last part of the season.  I am fairly optimistic, but can't help feeling that we'll get let down at the last second (like Chelsea last year!).

Let me know anyway.  Cheers.  :)

p.s Isn't great to see Stephane back at the heart of the defence and Carra back in?
Coley

Postby JBG » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:45 pm

I certainly hope we will because even though I want Houllier to go, I still want whats best for the club and right now, Houllier or no Houllier, thats Champions League football.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:47 pm

i think we will get in, If owen keeps fit its inevitable that he will go on a goal scoring run and when owen is scoring goals then we usually do well. The defence looks solid and we are creating more chances, how we didnt beat everton ill never no, Cheyrou looks good also. We should also try and keep a bit of consistency in the line up imo, if we do this and houlier doesnt play people out of position we'll do well. Hyypia and henchoz staying together in central defence is the biggest thing imo.
columbia

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:39 am

Im not sure even though the standard of the teams competiting for the 4th spot this season have been inconsistent and p#ss poor.

I think its between Liverpool and Newcastle United.
116-1065305004

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:55 am

Since 3rd, 2nd and 1st are virtually out of the question it is whether we can outperform the rest and we haven't done it so far. Trips to old trafford and highbury to come, added to our tendancy to lose and draw games we should win makes me suspect it won't be as easy as some people think it will be (I agree we're better on paper than a lot of sides but the FA still insist we play our fixtures :D  )
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:55 pm

I like old cheesey he's a funny guy even though he's a Manc I know some day the tables will turn  and he'll disappear for another 27 years.

Anyway will we finish 4th?  My heart says yes my head and everything I know about football says absolutely not. I think we'll be somewhere between 5th and 9th depending upon when the board sack Houllier.  If he hits the ten defeats mark in the next 4 games he'll go. We may then still turn it around with O'Neill or Strachan at the helm, if he lingers for another 6 games then its goodbye to Europe for another season.  The one good thing with all the draws is that we won't be facing a relegation battle, I hope.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Stan Laurel » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:57 pm

I am quietly confident that we will reach to the 4th place, no problem at all.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:10 pm

What are you basing this confidence upon?

A manager who knows something about football

Alex ferguson is taking over

Everyone else will lose 20 points

O'Neill is taking over tommorrow

Houllier is coming off the tablets and will return to 2002 form.

Shankly has be resurrected as the new manager.

For f##k sake open your eyes Houllier is f##king blinding everyone of you in grey mediocrity.

He's joke of a manager and has brought the standards to a par with Newcastle, Charlton, Aston Villa and Fulham these are are rivals. Not Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal, are you people ever going to wise up.

I have been in this forum since last August and I said then we were s##t and I say it again. I'm no Jonah just someone who has the intelligence to know we are mediocre.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:52 am

How many professional clubs are in the country?

Mediocre? thats the middle yeah? average? mean? median? mode? whatever you want to call it.

We are at worst 4th or 5th best in the country. We've had an awful two years by our standards and it may take a couple of seasons to get back on track. Still we're the 4th or 5th best.

That isn't mediocre. We're simply realistic and accept the fact we can't spend the money like Man Utd and Chelsea therefore its going to take a good few seasons to catch them. We can't spend stupid amounts on one player over and over. We also can't afford to go and buy the best. If you can't see the foundations are there thats your problem.
115-1073096938

Postby azriahmad » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:44 am

I agree with big al and stu in their last postings. We are at best only 5th best and that's the reality, like it or not.
Houllier is a good administrator as he has proven in France and will do so again in future times to come because of his work on the youth development side. The same happened at France FA. As a coach, he is tactically inept and more importantly, seem to lack the ability to trully motivate his charges. That's why we have good players who are playing at mediocre levels most of the time and failing to gel fluidly...
Until and unless the Board realise this, we seemed destined to stay in mediocrity. It is the most realistic outlook but I still love and will always support Liverpool!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:07 am

We should at the very least be able to match Arsenal with the players we have. Arsenal rarely spend huge amounts on players, wise spending got them Pires, Vieira, Henry and Ljungberg. OK, Wenger has this habit of buying nobodies and them turning out to be stars, but we have a couple of homegrown gems in Owen and Gerrard.

We should be top four minimum with the players we have yet we're scrapping for fourth with teams who are not nearly as good. Why? It has to be the manager. You can only blame bad luck so much before it is more than that. We have drawn 1/3 of our games and that is not good enough. Houllier reckoned things would improve when we had all our player available yet we still draw with teams we should beat. Optimistically we could finish fourth if we match last season's points, but that means we can only afford to drop 13 more points
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:30 pm

I simply can't see us getting that 4th place and i'm astonished that we still in the running baring in mind how awful we have been this season. Do we even deserve a sport in the CHAMPIONS League? UEFA should take the 4th spot and give it to the runners-up in the Slovakian  League. I can't believe how far Arsenal, the mancs and Chelsea are in front of the rest of the league. We have simply rolled over and died this season. I don't know about you people but i am fed up of feeling sh*t every single weekend coz my team played like a mid-table rabble. I'm fed up of hearing excuses of hearing how le boys dun well but we were unlucky. I have tried untill recently to show GH some loyalty because i respect that the man has done a lot for the club but now it is time to go. Please go Gerrard. Thommo can look after things for the rest of the season until the new man comes in during the summer.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul Hudson » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:36 pm

the boys have got to treat now as the start of the season. if everyone shows as much commitment as stevie g, we should be ok. houllier also needs to keep a settled team as much as poss for the rest of the season and stop putting duffers like biscan and diao in for the occasional run out.
Paul Hudson

Postby kopper » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:30 pm

Consistancy is and has been our problem for the past decade. If only we could buy it.
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby big al » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:57 pm

Our current form places us sixth in the premiership in amongst at least 8 other clubs that could finish in 4th place.  Realistically there are six clubs that could achieve that position, thankfully we are one of them, however we are behind Newcastle, Aston Villa and Bolton on current form
big al
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion