The gardening thread - Calling all newkit green thumbs

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:33 am

So, with the weather finally turning nice over here, the missus and I have been enjoying weekends puttering around the garden.  This is our first crack at gardening and I think we've done well for ourselves so far: in the past month we've developed a vegetable patch, planted a few flowers and shrubs and are in the process of planning our next big landscaping move.

So, I've got the bug!  But, having never read--to my recollection anyway--anyone talk about their gardens on here, I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.  After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one out playing in the muck every weekend.  This thread, then, is a place for gardening advice, tales of horticultural prowess, pictures, whinges about the neighbour's unkempt property, wild stories of adventure in flagrante delicto or what have you.

To get things rolling, I'll start with a broad question to those with a bit more experience with a hoe (:D ) than me.  If you could offer one piece of advice to us gardening newbies, what would it be?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:12 am

Mr & Mrs Bad Bob enjoying THE GOOD LIFE!!!  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Image
Mr & Mrs Bad Bob enjoying THE GOOD LIFE!!!  :D

:bowdown

Quality program, that. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:50 am

Judge could give you some advice about playing with a hose if thats any good for ya Bob  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:34 am

Would you Adam and Eve it !

Me and the missus have just been doing our garden, and  its the first time today I've really attempted the job. Since we've brought a new house I've been doing mostly DIY jobs in the house, but noticed over the week that we probably had the scruffiest garden in the complex.

So I went and brought a Whipper snipper this morning, cut and trimmed around the edges of the garden. And shoveled some wood chip around. We have many Aloe vera plants dotted about the garden front and back. But were relocating them in under the palm trees.

Most of the wood chip wis under the front window, and I think thats a no no in Australia. Not only does the wood chip cover the weeping holes, it allows for these orrible termite creatures to come in through the brick work and knaw away at any wooden strutcures in the house.

Anyway we've started, but its going to be an ongoing job, and we're thinking of laying stones down infront of the window now instead of the wood chip.

Nice thread, if anyone (Aussies  especially) have any tips, please stick em in this thread. :)
66-1112520797

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:39 am

I don't have a garden , i have i back yard , so i could give you tips on sh!t picking after the two muts have done there business . We did have a sunflower once , but it died .It wasn't until later that we realised that it doesn't make it's own cups of tea and the feckin thing wanted us to fetch and carry it water.   ???
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:39 am

My front garden is looking like Onslows out of keeping Up Appearences apart from the arl scruffy mongrel in the car, me backs done in :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am

you're lucky youve even got a garden! closest thing ive got to a garden is a bowl i havent washed in about 6 months i found under my bed recently
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:17 pm

we have a lovely sunny 40m square terrace with our flat. we've got big planters with sunflowers, a small cherry tree, a small chestnut tree and a small something else tree, loads of herbs, geraniums, 'wild' flowers, cucumber, courgette and weeds.

they'll all be dead within a week, i haven't got a clue what i'm doing....

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:I don't have a garden , i have i back yard , so i could give you tips on sh!t picking after the two muts have done there business .

heres a clue

take the fucking mutts for a walk more often  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Would you Adam and Eve it !

Me and the missus have just been doing our garden, and  its the first time today I've really attempted the job. Since we've brought a new house I've been doing mostly DIY jobs in the house, but noticed over the week that we probably had the scruffiest garden in the complex.

So I went and brought a Whipper snipper this morning, cut and trimmed around the edges of the garden. And shoveled some wood chip around. We have many Aloe vera plants dotted about the garden front and back. But were relocating them in under the palm trees.

Most of the wood chip wis under the front window, and I think thats a no no in Australia. Not only does the wood chip cover the weeping holes, it allows for these orrible termite creatures to come in through the brick work and knaw away at any wooden strutcures in the house.

Anyway we've started, but its going to be an ongoing job, and we're thinking of laying stones down infront of the window now instead of the wood chip.

Nice thread, if anyone (Aussies  especially) have any tips, please stick em in this thread. :)

:D  The fun of having a global message board comes out in threads like these.  The thought of worrying about aloe vera plants, palm trees and termites in the wood chips in Canada!  Our biggest fear is that, despite it being June, we met get some frost overnight that'll wipe out our tomato and pepper plants.  Oh, and cut worms...little b.astards. :angry:

Igor's post made me smile as well.  The people that owned the house before us had a giant black lab.  They did f.uck all in the yard except let the dog sh!t all over the place and they didn't clean up a thing before they moved.  So, our first day of yard work was scooping a winter's worth of dog turds into bags and watching our step.  I still find little unexpected treasures around the yard every now and again.  Going barefoot is not yet an option. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby daxy1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:57 pm

i love gardening  ....i paved the whole of the back garden and then turned the front into a massive drive no grass no mess!

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:37 pm

My garden used to look like :censored: five aside goal either end every tom dick an harry playing footie i even used to provide the drinks :laugh: I could never have a plant or a flower

Now me lads grown up ive got my other half out there some nice rose bushes ,a apple tree even managed to get a fig tree started. Built a nice barbi , but we started finding holes in the grass. We thought we had some creature diggin them an asked a gardener to come an have a look what could be done. He sorted them out but they kept appearin

We paid :censored: money only to find out my lad was doing it so him an his mates to chip the golf balls in. My grandaughter let slip thats what they were doing :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:16 pm

daxy1 wrote:i love gardening  ....i paved the whole of the back garden and then turned the front into a massive drive no grass no mess!

Dont blame ye mate, the size of the front and back gardens by yours would of been at least a two man job  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Ace has just made the ford sound like beverly hills  :laugh:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum