Calling all techies...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:How much RAM have you got in the PC ? And whats the spec of the chip ? Could be that you need more firepower - I'd check the min spec for Vista versus what you have...I'm basing this on you saying you're thinking of downgrading to XP, which suggests your PC might be a few years old, no ?

My PC is just less than a year old. It has 4 gb RAM in a dual core processor. Its not the specs, to be honest I havent the foggiest what it is. When I reboot it seems to run ok for an hour or so then it starts freezing.

Sounds more like a hardware problem than software. Download and runmemtestwhich will test your ram.( make sure you download the one for 4 gb or more)
Other than that I would look at heat and your hard drive.

Do you get an error notification in your event log or is it just a case of it freezing for a few seconds without having to re-boot?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:How much RAM have you got in the PC ? And whats the spec of the chip ? Could be that you need more firepower - I'd check the min spec for Vista versus what you have...I'm basing this on you saying you're thinking of downgrading to XP, which suggests your PC might be a few years old, no ?

My PC is just less than a year old. It has 4 gb RAM in a dual core processor. Its not the specs, to be honest I havent the foggiest what it is. When I reboot it seems to run ok for an hour or so then it starts freezing.

Also try removing the antivirus/firewall software and see if it still freezes.
heimdall

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll mess about with the memory, to see if it is that. I ran a memory diagnostic doo dah a while back and that came up with no problems. When it freezes it just stops, I can move the cursor when browsing the internet but I have to wait about 8 or 9 secs for it to come back to life. In games, same thing, I can move the cursor but everything else just freezes then it snaps back to life as if nothing wrong has occurred.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'll mess about with the memory, to see if it is that. I ran a memory diagnostic doo dah a while back and that came up with no problems. When it freezes it just stops, I can move the cursor when browsing the internet but I have to wait about 8 or 9 secs for it to come back to life. In games, same thing, I can move the cursor but everything else just freezes then it snaps back to life as if nothing wrong has occurred.

OK also have the task manager minimised and see if the CPU goes nuts when it freezes. Try uninstalling the antivirus though, I have seen that cause so many problems before but if it's a new computer it is a bit odd. Could just be a duff computer, it happens, are you still under warranty?
heimdall

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Kharhaz wrote:I have a problem. And its really starting to tick me off.

My PC is freezing way too much. I could be simply browsing the internet or replying on this forum when the bloody thing just freezes then continues after a while as if nothings happened. The same with games. I could be playing FM2010, RE5 or whatever then it freezes.

If it freezes normally it's because it heats too much due to dirt in the fan.

But if after some time (1 min or less) it stops freezing then I'd bet for a faulty cable from the hard disk to the mainboard. And that's really good news because it's cheap to buy another one and try it out. At least I had the same problem a couple of times with some computers:

Freezes completely, if it's playing music it enters a loop, it doesn't even respond to control+alt+supr, and it comes back after a while, no?

Perhaps if you put the cable you have a bit tighter it will do it for you. It happens especially in the SATA cables that appeared first.

Try it out, I think it can be that.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Foo foo valve  Kharhaz lash , bet yer a fiver .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 pm

If it's less than a year old isn't it under warranty? Did you opt to get an extended warranty? Take it back and get yourself a new one.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:34 am

Igor Zidane wrote:Foo foo valve  Kharhaz lash , bet yer a fiver .

:laugh:

I have tried everything. Still happening. I have tried swapping the memory, swapping leads, taking everything to bits and cleaning them. Nothings worked. I seemed to get somewhere with a disk check and defrag for a few hours but then back to freezing.

PS. Heimdall, it was freezing before the anti virus and after, thanks for the suggestion though.

PPS. Sabre music doesnt loop, even in games, the sound continues as normal. I can move the mouse and such which is why im as puzzled as I am. Visually it just freezes, everything else is fine.

Its a strange one.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 am

Kharhaz wrote:I have a problem. And its really starting to tick me off.

My PC is freezing way too much. I could be simply browsing the internet or replying on this forum when the bloody thing just freezes then continues after a while as if nothings happened. The same with games. I could be playing FM2010, RE5 or whatever then it freezes.

I have tried everything to try resolve this problem. I have restored the settings to factory therefore wiping the hard drive. I have installed the latest graphics drivers and sound drivers (also the old ones that came on cd with the pc). I have updated the chipset drivers. I have set the pc to not install any updates from windows and vice versa. I have tried overclocking the graphics card (which worked nicely for the performance, didnt stop the freezing though). I have run registry scans, virus scans, advert scans and still the problem is there.

I am using Vista Home Premium. I am at the conclusion that it must be this that is causing the problem. I am on the verge of installing XP to see if this is the problem. Im asking simply to see if anyone else comes to the same conclusion I do and that Vista is the problem and that I should get rid. And yes Windows 7 would be nice but impossible as im bloody skint !

try turning off sleep and hibernate functions, set hard drives to never turn off.

have you tried repairing the system by pressing F8 at start-up

try deleting any windows update (one at a time to see if that makes any difference).

if all else fails load up windows 7 because vista is $hit£.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:36 am

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:if all else fails load up windows 7 because vista is $hit£.

I'll try that. I have looked up every possible solution to every possible problem and I can only put it down to Vista. I have a spare hard drive so I will Install XP on that and see how it goes.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 am

had a little look around after reading about your problem and your not the only one mate, deffo looks like a conflict within vista

if you have a spare drive mate and your not bothered about downloading a copy of windows 7 then go for it, its brilliant.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby babu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:16 am

Kharhaz wrote:

Is your system 64 bit?

also have you checked the ram and processor temparature?

if it only happens after an hour, could be due to heat not dissapating fast enough.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Foo foo valve  Kharhaz lash , bet yer a fiver .

:laugh:

I have tried everything. Still happening. I have tried swapping the memory, swapping leads, taking everything to bits and cleaning them. Nothings worked. I seemed to get somewhere with a disk check and defrag for a few hours but then back to freezing.

PS. Heimdall, it was freezing before the anti virus and after, thanks for the suggestion though.

PPS. Sabre music doesnt loop, even in games, the sound continues as normal. I can move the mouse and such which is why im as puzzled as I am. Visually it just freezes, everything else is fine.

Its a strange one.

The problem is that your problem can be caused by so many reasons, hence the number of different solutions being posted.

When I had a similar problem it was driver related. My video driver was updated and somehow got corrupted. A quick check to see is to run the machine up in "Safe Mode" (Hold F8 at boot up, select Safe Mode). This will prevent not critical drivers from loading, essentially a skeleton windows environment.

At least from here you will know if the problem is hardware or software.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

Download and run this Kharhaz. It will check your hard drive is ok. It will also tell you if your HD is running hot.   hard disc pro free 15 day trial
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

Once again, thanks for the ideas everyone. Ive finally sorted the bugger out. It was, as Sabre said, the bloody cable from the motherboard to the hard drive. Not the ole reliable ones, the newer slimline ones (temperamental pieces of cack). When I swapped it over with another lead from another pc, that one was buggered as well. Fortunately I was able to stick an old drive in as a replacement as it comes with leads for the good old tried and tested. Had to install XP anyway as the one with vista is built into the hard drive as a recovery petition.

So thanks again folks, appreciate all the advice given. :D
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum