The gardening thread - Calling all newkit green thumbs

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 am

i moved in to my new house back last oct the back garden is huge but there was not a blade of grass the older couple that lived there before were just like the good life growing loads of veg but as they had got older they could not do it any more and the whole thing just grew more and more weeds until we bought it

i knocked down a bloody great green house dug up paths, i had to get a rotervator (spelling?) in and spent 2 day digging the :censored: out on the ground, then had to roll it all as flat as i could get it

i dug out a huge bank at the top end of the garden think they dumped anything and everything in it and covered it in mud, i put sheilding around it all and made it look a whole lot better then i did a play area for the kids, put those half logs in to the ground weed mesh on the floor the filled the area with bark they now have a 10 foot tram on it a play house swings and slide and now the weather is better we have the pool out there aswell

then with the rest of the garden on that side of the path i had to sow new grass ( i gave it it's second cut on sat afternoon ) it's looking good now may lad has a big set of goals at one end we have table and chairs down the other end but i want to put decking there but that will have to wait for the moment ( money and time )

oh and i have MY shed stacked out with bloody toys :angry:

it has been hard work but the reward now is that i can get out there and play with the kids knowing that it's safe for them and that they won't get hurt, well unless they splash me with water while im trying to sit and soak up the sun :D

i have to say when you finish it and look at what you have done i get a good feeling so stick with it and look forward to finishing the job and the good feeling
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 am

GRAHAM01 wrote:i moved in to my new house back last oct the back garden is huge but there was not a blade of grass the older couple that lived there before were just like the good life growing loads of veg but as they had got older they could not do it any more and the whole thing just grew more and more weeds until we bought it

i knocked down a bloody great green house dug up paths, i had to get a rotervator (spelling?) in and spent 2 day digging the :censored: out on the ground, then had to roll it all as flat as i could get it

i dug out a huge bank at the top end of the garden think they dumped anything and everything in it and covered it in mud, i put sheilding around it all and made it look a whole lot better then i did a play area for the kids, put those half logs in to the ground weed mesh on the floor the filled the area with bark they now have a 10 foot tram on it a play house swings and slide and now the weather is better we have the pool out there aswell

then with the rest of the garden on that side of the path i had to sow new grass ( i gave it it's second cut on sat afternoon ) it's looking good now may lad has a big set of goals at one end we have table and chairs down the other end but i want to put decking there but that will have to wait for the moment ( money and time )

it has been hard work but the reward now is that i can get out there and play with the kids knowing that it's safe for them and that they won't get hurt, well unless they splash me with water while im trying to sit and soak up the sun :D

i have to say when you finish it and look at what you have done i get a good feeling so stick with it and look forward to finishing the job and the good feeling

and on the seventh day he rested

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

Ive got 138ft worth of garden and have just planted a twisted willow and a goat willow at the back so my kids can sit on the hammock and read with all the trees around them, it's kind of like a private forest :D every week i mow and strim cause i have loads of grass but luckily where my pond is i have laid membrane and loads
of shingle so it seperates certain points in my garden.

I have recently just put another arch in the back of the garden with hunysuckle and jasmin climbing around it it's very nice to look at, of course my wife thinks
i'm bonkers she says our garden looks like it belongs to Alan Titchmarsh :laugh:  i say be happy i doesnt look like a skip so what if at 6.00am i'm up diggind holes and planting before i start work i just can't sleep :D.

Anyway nice to have had this chat about my over indulgance with my garden hey i grew up in the city and have lived in the country for the last 9 years
and trust me with all the green you end up feeling like a flippin farmer.
Last edited by mistyred on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm

andy_g wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:i moved in to my new house back last oct the back garden is huge but there was not a blade of grass the older couple that lived there before were just like the good life growing loads of veg but as they had got older they could not do it any more and the whole thing just grew more and more weeds until we bought it

and on the seventh day he rested

:D

it feels like that mate i tell you, it's the misses fault as soon as i think i've finished she comes along with some new idea  :down:

but like mistyred i've never had much of a garden to call my own so now i have a want to make the most of it
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm

I tell you, I'm looking to turn as much of our lawn into flowerbeds as soon as possible.  Mowing grass is such a chore and with all the roots and rocks sticking out of our lawn (thin soil around here) it's extra tedious.  That, and the fact that mowing is my job while the missus handles the weeding and watering of the beds... :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I tell you, I'm looking to turn as much of our lawn into flowerbeds as soon as possible.  Mowing grass is such a chore and with all the roots and rocks sticking out of our lawn (thin soil around here) it's extra tedious.  That, and the fact that mowing is my job while the missus handles the weeding and watering of the beds... :D

i was going to say what about the weeding until i read the last bit  :D

so go on flower bed the lot  :devil:
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:03 pm

mistyred wrote:Ive got 138ft worth of garden and have just planted a twisted willow and a goat willow at the back so my kids can sit on the hammock and read with all the trees around them, it's kind of like a private forest :D

Sounds nice, mate.  We've got some nice trees in the back.  A beech, a few maples (natch), some ashes and a couple I haven't quite identified yet.  My worry is that the beech might have to come down eventually.  It's got one dead limb and the others are very close to power lines.  Plus, if we get a heavy storm from the SW (a distinct possibility during Fall hurricane season) it might just blow over onto our house!  I'll be gutted to lose that tree, though.  It gives the yard a lot of character.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby mistyred » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Badbob your lucky your missus does the weeding that's my job along with every other you can name and i got bloody bind weeds attacking every flipping bush tree and plant in my garden its a constant flippin battle some times i just wanna get my axe and starting hacking everything in sight :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 pm

Crikey!  I thought we'd put in a full day on Saturday when we planted 4 bushes and mulched a back bed! :D  Of course, we don't have any kids wondering when Daddy's gonna finish their play zone either.  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 pm

mistyred wrote:Badbob your lucky your missus does the weeding that's my job along with every other you can name and i got bloody bind weeds attacking every flipping bush tree and plant in my garden its a constant flippin battle some times i just wanna get my axe and starting hacking everything in sight :D

I know that feeling, mate. :D  BTW, don't see The Happening if you're prone to the occasional bout of plant rage.  :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Crikey!  I thought we'd put in a full day on Saturday when we planted 4 bushes and mulched a back bed! :D  Of course, we don't have any kids wondering when Daddy's gonna finish their play zone either.  :;):

you don't think they waited until i had finished do you

mine are like ants they climb over everything that's half finished just see what it is  :angry: little gits, carrying bags of bark around then fall flat on your face when you tip over one of them playing with the stuff, then get in to trouble from the misses for telling them off  :down:
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Bob don't you feel like your just fighting a loosing battle mate i just can't keep up with it mate, the things we do to ourselves i dont know we must need
our bloody heads testing :(  :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Judge is more into 'uphill gardening' really. Likes to plant his tool into the moist brown soil :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Lee J wrote:im more into 'uphill gardening' really. i Likes to plant me tool into the moist brown soil :D

figures
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:48 pm

mistyred wrote:Bob don't you feel like your just fighting a loosing battle mate i just can't keep up with it mate, the things we do to ourselves i dont know we must need
our bloody heads testing :(  :D

Part of me thinks that for sure, MR.  More of me, though, thinks it's essential therapy and the perfect tonic to sitting in my office all week staring at the computer screen.  Hell, it's the only way I get any exercise! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum