Strike in beirut - Or all out civil war?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:26 am

Metalhead was on yesterday and mentioned there was a strike going on in lebanon. From the looks of the pictures its more like a civil war!

BBC link
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:27 am

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:56 am

burning barricades and simmering violence are fairly commonplace in large scale strike action. and they're still way off our own miners of days gone buy in turning a strike into something resembling civil war :;):

its worrying though, seeing as the strike is led by hezbollah and is part of their campaign to unsettle the government. be interesting to hear what metalhead has to say.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:02 pm

if there is a conflict there is no point asking metalhead, he will just do a runner like last time
112-1077774096

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:22 pm

peewee wrote:if there is a conflict there is no point asking metalhead, he will just do a runner like last time

Avoiding death is hardly the same as running off to avoid paying for your chicken tikka masalla.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:25 pm

supersub wrote:
peewee wrote:if there is a conflict there is no point asking metalhead, he will just do a runner like last time

Avoiding death is hardly the same as running off to avoid paying for your chicken tikka masalla.

couldnt resist the dig mate, sorry      :D
112-1077774096

Postby joko » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:30 pm

give my sickness a break, will you, mate
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

Is that not the Falls Road in Belfast ? :p
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Let it go mate, its over and done with.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm

burning barricades and simmering violence are fairly commonplace in large scale strike action. and they're still way off our own miners of days gone buy in turning a strike into something resembling civil war

Good point, when the coal miners and the steel workers made strikes here back in the eighties there were good level of violence and even good level of organisation, but to be honest this seems to be more organised and at a country level.

Nevertheless they seem no to be very impressed, one of the soldiers is yawning.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:23 pm

What can I say, f*cked up situation, I couldnt go out of the house because there are burning tires just next to my house, so i'm stuck.

I don't really listen to foreign media such as CNN or BBC, because they get their facts really wrong and they are always taking the side of the government, Hizballah aren't the only one who is fighting this, you have some christian groups who are pairing for hizballah to take out the government. The most affected region in the strike today was the north, mostly the christians fighting each other. Ga3ga3 group and the Aoun group(worst enemies) fighting each other which led to alot of injuries and even 2 dead.

Hizballah and their allies want 2 demands, is for the Prime minister to step down and create a unified government without any foreign interference.

so where the problem lies? Both the government and the resistance have massive support, so basically there is a division between the people. Also, the PM is getting a huge backing from the U.S and other European countries, so its hard for him to quit!

I don't know whats going to happen in the next few days, I hope for the best, I can see loads of smoke from here and I can hear loads of gunfires!

The problem with the army.. the defence minister is actually accused of being with the resistance! but this is a protest so basically their job is to stop any fights and clear the roads (which they are doing right now).
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 pm

We just hear the other side of it Metalhead, that hizballah are supported by Syria and Iran. Sounds more like a coup than a strike though mate, keep your head down.

Postby dward » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Be careful mate.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:30 pm

s@int wrote:We just hear the other side of it Metalhead, that hizballah are supported by Syria and Iran. Sounds more like a coup than a strike though mate, keep your head down.

It does, I really hope it doesnt turn into a coup though! Again Hizballah arent the only ones who is against the government, there are many other important groups in Lebanon who are against the government.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:31 pm

s@int wrote:Image

shhh dont tell anyone... but thats me  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum