Car spare parts - Mad as hell

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 am

JBG wrote:€200 for labour is not much.

It doesn't seem like much JBG ,but the figure quoted has to be measured against the time taken to do the job .

Round my area labour cost vary from £20 - £35 per hour.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 am

JBG wrote:
Judge wrote:
JBG wrote:
Judge wrote:
JBG wrote:€1200+ to get it fixed by the dealer, €700 to €800 to get it fixed by my dad's friend.

I checked the warranty and its not affected.

you must have only the mechanical one which gets affected if someone other than the dealer doesnt fix it??

its simple maths then jbg  :)

Only mechanical parts, not bodywork are affected under the warranty, I think.

The door is €435 (new) for both guys. The dealer's quote for labour is €750 while the other guys is only €250.

your dads mate wants that much for doing you a favour.

i would have thought 50 quid would be ok as a gesture. I mean most doors are slung on two pegs, with the electrics plugged in through some kind of door scart etc

No, all the interior trim, handles, electric windows etc have to be taken out of the old door and put into the new one.

He also needs to mix the paint and spray it.

€200 for labour is not much.

you can go on the reanult site and see how the jobs done yourself, just to find out how technical it is, or not
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:59 am

by all accounts taking apart and putting back an electric window assembly (and doing a proper job of it) is an absolute motherf*cker of a job even for a proper mechanic, best left to a pro methinks otherwise you'll probably get left with a juddery window that won 't close properly
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:02 pm

I actually considered trying it myself as I reckon I'm fairly handy at pretty much anything :D when I put my mind to it.

I'd manage the assembly of the door but not sure about the electric windows, and would still need it sprayed.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:02 pm

putting the door on is the easy part and should be cheap, but if you hire the electrician to do the rest, then maybe it will work out even cheaper.

check it out jbg :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Judge wrote:
JBG wrote:
Judge wrote:
JBG wrote:
Judge wrote:
JBG wrote:€1200+ to get it fixed by the dealer, €700 to €800 to get it fixed by my dad's friend.

you must have only the mechanical one which gets affected if someone other than the dealer doesnt fix it??

The door is €435 (new) for both guys. The dealer's quote for labour is €750 while the other guys is only €250.

your dads mate wants that much for doing you a favour.

i would have thought 50 quid would be ok as a gesture. I mean most doors are slung on two pegs, with the electrics plugged in through some kind of door scart etc

No, all the interior trim, handles, electric windows etc have to be taken out of the old door and put into the new one.

He also needs to mix the paint and spray it.

€200 for labour is not much.

you can go on the reanult site and see how the jobs done yourself, just to find out how technical it is, or not

And there's probably at least 3 coats of paint - primer, colour and clear lacquer.  I think when I had to get a new spoiler, it was 4 coats - primer, 2 metallic coats and then the clear lacquer finish.  So £150 isn't a bad price for a favour.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:11 pm

hawkmoon, your car cost £50 in the first place 2nd hand :D , money wasted :D  :laugh:  :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:
JBG wrote:
Judge wrote:

Just proves that going to the big boys is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Just had my car (FORD FOCUS)  serviced at a ford dealership and although the service wasn't too expensive they came back with a list of 'RECOMMENDATIONS' which included changing the anti-freeze - cost £18 + vat. They seem to think that 'cos they are connected to the manufacturers their labour is gonna be better than any other mechanics which to me is bullshit, in the past I used an independant guy who was working out of a little garage under a bridge off a main road and if i had a problem and took it to him he'd have a look and if there wasn't actually anything needed doing he still wouldn't charge me anything eventhough he'd spent a good amount of time checking the car over whereas last week i asked ford to see if they could repair the boot release button on my dashboard that had packed up and do it under the warranty and guess what; 'We will probably do the work under the warranty but we can't do it 'til we've found out what the problem is so it'll need a diagnostic' - cost fecking £30 quid just to come to the conclusion it ain't workin', needless to say i told 'em to shove it and i'll just use the button on me key fob.

ROBBIN' SWINES THE BIG GARAGES, I'LL ONLY USE 'EM WHEN I'VE GOT A WARRANTY ON THE CAR!!!

RIGHT THAT'S ME GETTING OFF MY SOAPBOX  :D

You'll probably have tried this, but if not I can virtually guarentee that this is the problem with your tailgate release:

Check the terminals in the boot and give them a clean. Once the main grime is off, scratch them lightly with a knife or screwdriver until the copper is shiney.

That solves almost all problems with tailgate releases in Fords.

Cheers lando, in fact i haven't tried it but i'll give it a go this weekend. I'm guessin' it either won't work or fords are thick and didn't even bother trying or suggesting this to me.

Thanks again matey :bowdown
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum