Calling computer geeks - Question

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Judge » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:10 pm

well if they wont promote me, i'll take a leaf out of woof's and dawsons books, steal i tell ya, i stole it :D :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:34 pm

:D  like this ? Image

:laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:38 pm

I don't have these problems as I have a mac :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:39 pm

No shortage of mods now . :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red @ Heart » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:44 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Sorry to start a thread for this but wtf .

I'm downloading some movies from Torrent Spy (Hostel and The Hills have eye's 2006   :)  ) It's taking ages and my pc is now really slow when accessing other things , this forum for example is taking ages to move from one thread to another . I've run avast anti virus and spybot and my pc is clean . Is the snails pace of my pc due to my currently active downloading from Torrent Spy ?

i use bittorent alot and i have 10mb bb, it also slows my internet pages down, and goes so slow somtimes i want to throw it out.

the reason why your have slow probs is because your using the net while downloading, its common sence that the more usage of the net the slower in otherparts it will be.

solution, turn of bittorrent whislt looking at the internet then every thing will be hunky dorey trust me.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:52 pm

woof woof ! wrote:No shortage of mods now . :D  :D  :D

im with you mate

we are independent mods  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:53 pm

The problem is simple: you just don't have enough horsepower and memory to do both.

I have a new dual core X2 4400 processor which is effectively two CPUs running together, so one handles one task and the other another. That and more memory solves the problem.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:00 pm

JBG wrote:I have a new dual core X2 4400 processor which is effectively two CPUs running together, so one handles one task and the other another.

What did that cost yer ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:17 pm

The problem is simple: you just don't have enough horsepower and memory to do both.

I have a new dual core X2 4400 processor which is effectively two CPUs running together, so one handles one task and the other another. That and more memory solves the problem.

If you put more connections than the OS can handle, it doesn't matter really you put four or five CPUs :) Dual processors are not the panacea because they're two, in fact, when you put 8 CPU together you don't get 8X, as you must synchronize, you must divide tasks, not always can be divided, sometimes a CPU is waiting the otput of the other CPU, etc, etc, etc.

What I mean is that we can't have a new computer every 2 years just because app and game programmers don't care about good programming any more, and just rely on we buy more and more expensive computers. :angry:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:25 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
JBG wrote:I have a new dual core X2 4400 processor which is effectively two CPUs running together, so one handles one task and the other another.

What did that cost yer ?

Woof, cap your max upload rate. That will give you the biggest web speed improvement while still allowing you to use P2P. If your upload is maxed your download goes to pieces. Cap it at 2/3's of your max upload rate.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 pm

cheers fivecups  . :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby AlanHansen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:58 pm

JBG wrote:The problem is simple: you just don't have enough horsepower and memory to do both.

It's not the cpu that's slowing his machine down, it's the disk i/o.

The file you're downloading is being written to disk by the torrent program, while this is happening other programs will have to wait before they can use the disk drive as well....
AlanHansen

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:43 pm

You can be all wrong :D

Heck woof, just try to set a max bandwith in the torrent program You're using to be at 75% of Your bandwith limit.
Next, try to get a decent firewall to filter Your net access (Kerio, no XP sh**). I'm myself a Linux user, so great tweakability here :)
Try to change to another client - BitComet, ABC or Bittornado are a good choice.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:07 am

Reduce the max upload rate too, (options then preferences)
Dont have it set any higher than 10kbs.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:17 am

DONT DOWNLOAD HOSTEL WOOF WOOF!!!

I have and its a sh!t quality mate, its off a cam and the quality is poor, its an excellent film but most the best bits are pitch black and impossible to make out, im going the pictures next week to see it and id suggest you do the same mate, i wasted me time on it.

Top film though Half t!ts and flange/half gore and horror, i dont think you can beat that!!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum