A footballing science

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:22 pm

It's a shame I didn't pay more attention to my science teachers at school. I blame them in all honesty, for the most part they were pretty dull (with the exception of the physics teacher!). If I had, what I was about to write I could be a little more certain of, but here goes. If you know the truth, and it isn't what I've written, let me live in ignorant bliss. Please.

I spent most of the time at school, in my science lessons, thinking of football. I mustn't have been alone, as the word catalyst appears in football writing on a regular basis.
Now a catalyst in chemistry terms is a substance used to cause a rection between other substances that would otherwise not do anything. The amazing thing is, the catalyst plays no part in the reaction. (here ends my attempts to pretend I know about science) :D

So OK, before I bore you, there is a point. When Eric Cantona arrived at Manchester United, nobody thought much of it. A few years later he was being described as the catalyst for their dominance in the nineties. He turned a good team into something much, much better. Now obviously the flaw in the footballing application is that Cantona played his part in the reaction.

It's this difference between science and football that makes me so excited by the arrival and speedy integration of Fernando Morientes into Benitez's Liverpool. It is early yet, some might shoot me down for even proposing this, but Morientes looks a potential catalyst for a major shift in the fortunes of Liverpool Football Club. It is a lot of pressure to put on one player, but then, Morientes is no ordinary player.

Three Champions League winners medals. Spanish League titles. Leading goal scorer in last seasons Champions League. Morientes has played in World Cups, played in major European matches. He is the definition of the been there, bought the t-shirt superstar. Yet, he's not really a superstar, this is what makes Morientes so intriguing and it was ultimately his downfall at Madrid.

Morientes was just simply not glamerous enough for Madrid. The era of the Galacticos has resulted in a number of excellent footballers leaving that club to find football and a manager who appreciates them. Morientes wants to play football, wants to win, wants to enjoy. He is the ideal in the eyes of his new manager Rafael Benitez. Ultimately, he's gifted.

He is not quite the complete striker. He doesn't have the dazzling brilliance of Ronaldinho, the speed of Henry, the raw power of Shearer. Yet it doesn't matter, because he appears to have everything Liverpool need in the position he is to occupy. Take the position vacant signs down, Liverpool have the man for the job.

He works for his team. A simple requirement, but one in which too many players fail to make the grade. He has the intelligence to know when to drop deep and offer a link, when to play further forward. He's comfortable with back to goal, or facing it. With those two assets he brings an awareness of the play around him, being able to bring others into play in dangerous areas - the exquisite drag back to Traore against Fulham should be shown time and again. Already there are signs that Liverpool's other attacking players, noticeably Baros and Garcia are starting to appreciate Morientes' game. Like the catalyst, Morientes is having a positive reaction on those two players. Making them better players, more effective and allowing them to play their games. It is not just those two that will benefit, the whole team will.

He is however more than just a catalyst to better play, he's also the end product. His account currently stands at two goals. Two beautiful goals. The first showed everything you need to know about his ability with the ball at his feet. Facing goal, he calmly moved the ball from right foot to left, dropping the shoulder, deceiving the defender. Then with the space created, a shot delivered with his left foot from the edge of the box arrowed into top right corner of Dean Kiely's goal. Sheer brilliance. The second was a headed goal that showed Morientes' ability to defy gravity, to appear suspended in the air as the ball made it's way towards him. It is a special ability, it is one that Michael Jordan owns the patent to and few sportsmen can replicate. For the briefest of moments it seems that Morientes can fly. Then with the deftest of flicks, the ball redirected, found it's way into the corner of the goal. Two completely different goals in their conception, identical in the quality of their execution.

So it seems Liverpool fans have a very genuine reason to feel positive. They have a player with the ability, awareness and desire to be the catalyst of something special. We've been here before, Jari Litmanen was the last great hope. However the obvious difference right now is that Litmanen was in the closing stages of a great career increasingly hampered by injuries. Morientes, at just 28 years of age could well have his best years ahead of him. It's a mouth watering prospect.

:cool:  :)  :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby liamac » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:06 pm

Good post st.Michael very good , id agree with you totally only i have my own catalyst........Alonso  .
Your hit the nail on the head about team work etc about Nando , he is an excellent striker and team player, cant believe we got him for 6.3 mllion !!

With Nando up front with Baros ,and then Alonso in midfield with SG  it really is a mouthwatering prospect
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby gabbyh » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:50 pm

By your reckoning, we have two catalysts for the price of one!! 
You have described Morientes as the kind of catalyst who reacts when added to the team, ie he causes action to happen by scoring and reacts well with other players. He is also an inert catalyst,because just by his presensce alone, the team reacts in an energetic and postive manner. He reminded Hyppia for a start that he too can head the ball!!
gabbyh

Postby L-type » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:26 am

gabbyh wrote:By your reckoning, we have two catalysts for the price of one!! 
You have described Morientes as the kind of catalyst who reacts when added to the team, ie he causes action to happen by scoring and reacts well with other players. He is also an inert catalyst,because just by his presensce alone, the team reacts in an energetic and postive manner. He reminded Hyppia for a start that he too can head the ball!!

thats still only one catalyst...... if it makes spurs life into something then its a catalyst.  We have a few in our side, and thousands in the stands.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:13 am

You're a class act StMichael. How many times are you going to copy and paste somebodies else's work and not give them the credit?

Here's who originaly posted this

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8084
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Mighty Liverpool » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:15 pm

Dear dear stmichael.....did you really write this? If not please give the writer credit for his work!
The Mighty Liverpool

Postby laza » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:19 pm

Groundhog day  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:27 pm

i admit robbing other peoples work and not giving credit is just not on, but back to the article, i think for years liverpool have been missing a foward who is good in the air and when i seen nandos goals posted on here, i knew right away that he is the type of player that we are missing.
109-1105722616

Postby Judge » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:01 pm

stmichael wrote:Now a catalyst in chemistry terms is a substance used to cause an Erection between other substances that would otherwise not do anything. The amazing thing is, the catalyst plays no part in the Erection. (here ends my attempts to pretend I know about science) :D

Morientes looks a potential catalyst for a major sh'it in the fortunes of Liverpool Football Club and more noticeably Baros and Garcia have two beautiful balls. It's a mouth watering prospect.

are you ok stmike  :D  :laugh:  :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:22 pm

St Mick, I was just wondering if you are in fact a journalist, a beautifully piece, well written.  BUT THEN....

We find out your a dirty, good for nothing thief, parading someone else;s work as your own... WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

Sort it out mate, if you are going to quote someone, start with the source.. you dirty rotten scoundral...
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Judge » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:29 pm

i dont think that was called for OLA. stmike writes both quality pieces and funny ones

so your out of order, with no proof :angry:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:47 pm

The proofs there Judge, A.B. has posted the link ffs!!

I'm all for cutting and pasting saves scouring the net for LFC news/info. BUT don't take us for mugs, and take all the praise ffs  :angry: Theres nothing worse than reading a thread, thinking thats good, then going onto Koptalk/RAWk e.t.c. and reading EXACTLY the same piece.

St Mick has already started a thread previously in general chat apologising for stealing Paul Tomkins work  ??? without giving him the credit.

Come on St Mick.....................CUT IT OUT (If you pardon the pun!!  :D)
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:52 pm

i dont think anyones a mug at all

stmikes a good guy, and besides whether he did steal it, it was worth reading, coz i dont have the time to keep going between forums etc, but i understand what you say

life is full of stealing others ideas, everybody does everyday without thinking about it, so is it worth moaning about....possibly NO
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dia- mond » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:29 pm

stmike, Morientes not glamerous enough???
you could have left this bit out.
I dont think Zarababe would agree with this either  :love:  :love:
dia- mond

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:29 pm

A.B. wrote:You're a class act StMichael. How many times are you going to copy and paste somebodies else's work and not give them the credit?

Here's who originaly posted this

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8084

So are you saying St Mick ISN'T Anthony Jones ?
Where's yer proof ????
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat Forum