The official spain euro 2008 thread - Viva espana

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Sabre wrote:
s@int wrote:I still want Spain to go out early - I don't really care who wins it, but I want our players back fresh and injury free, not tired, INJURED and flushed with success!

Selfish maybe, but I want the title next season and we wont win it if half our players are knackered and Rafa rests the others like last time.

So your Ideal Euro would be:

Greece 5 - 5 Spain. Torres(3), Xabi Alonso (16M tag), Arbeloa
Sweden 6 - 5 Spain. Torres(3), Xabi Alonso (18M tag), Arbeloa.
Russia 3 - 2 Spain. Xabi Alonso (2, 20M tag).

Spain is out, players are fresh, we get more money from Alonso, who we sell the next day.  :D

In all seriousness though, it's understandable your concern. It's proven that players get more injury problems in seasons after summer events like this.

I have problems though Sabre, my son has just bought a Torres - Spain shirt, so unless I am careful I will no doubt get caught up in all the excitement.
account deleted by request

Postby zarababe » Sun May 25, 2008 3:13 pm

From the Liverpool Echo: "Such is the level of support which Spain are already receiving on Merseyside that Jamie Carragher has decided to change the name of his Cafe Sport England restaurant to Cafe Sport Spainfor the duration of the tournament, which kicks off two weeks today.

Balague added: "It's quite funny but it also reflects the amount of support Spain are getting because of the four Liverpool players who are in the squad.

"We have been running a promotion on the Revista La Liga show I work on on Sky which involves people writing in who are supporting Spain and we send them an "I'm supporting Spain" t-shirt back.

"The take up has been remarkable and a lot of the interest has come from Liverpool.

"We've even sent 40 t-shirts to Jamie Carragher so the staff at his restaurant can wear them during Euro 2008."

COME ON YOU AMIGOS !!!
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Ballague again :

""The fact that the manager of Liverpool Football Club was a Spaniard got everyone's attention and then the Spanish players - the likes of Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso, Josemi and Antonio Nunez - and that made the interest levels grow some more.

"But this season that interest has gone to a new level and it is all because of one man - Fernando Torres.

"Everyone in Spain has been following his performances for Liverpool and now Liverpool are on Spanish television more than ever before and journalists like me are asked to write even more about Benitez, Torres and the other Spaniards at Anfield.

"It is a phenomenon to have so much interest in an English club in Spain and Liverpool are undoubtedly most people's second favourite team. Some even regard it as the unofficial 21st team in La Liga."
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun May 25, 2008 6:16 pm

zarababe wrote:Ballague again :

""The fact that the manager of Liverpool Football Club was a Spaniard got everyone's attention and then the Spanish players - the likes of Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso, Josemi and Antonio Nunez - and that made the interest levels grow some more.

"But this season that interest has gone to a new level and it is all because of one man - Fernando Torres.

"Everyone in Spain has been following his performances for Liverpool and now Liverpool are on Spanish television more than ever before and journalists like me are asked to write even more about Benitez, Torres and the other Spaniards at Anfield.

"It is a phenomenon to have so much interest in an English club in Spain and Liverpool are undoubtedly most people's second favourite team. Some even regard it as the unofficial 21st team in La Liga."

Well said by a respected journalist.

Come on you amigos Redmen  :)

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Sabre » Mon May 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Curious. Fabregas in Spain was known as "Cesc", short for Francesc, his catalan name.

But in England for some reason the surname was used "Fabregas".

And he seems to like it now because he has requested it to be his official name in the Spanish shirt.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Huck » Mon May 26, 2008 11:00 pm

From Cesc to Fabregas...It may be the split between the youngster and the FOOTBALLER...lol, I don't know, Sabre, you know that his performances with Spain haven't even come closer to those in Arsenal, so it may even be something related to superstitions...he himself has recently recognised that his appearances with the national squad have often been "below par" so maybe he wants to be more similar to the gooner and the first step is to choose Fabregas for the shirt.

I agree with you in your opinion about the danger that Ramos going ahead can cause, I love his attacking attitude but Luis will have to focus on covering the gap withthe defensive mildfielder if we don't want to be caught more than once a match.

And...well...as my avatar shows, I can't be of your opinion concernig Iker mate, in my opinion he's a superb keeper (not perfect, as some fanatics say), and, nowadays, the image representing the spirit of this team, from my point of view, he well deserves both the place on the starting eleven and the captain armband.

C'mon (the others) redmen!!!
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby Sabre » Mon May 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Don't get me wrong, Casillas is a great keeper, and is one of those Real Madrid players I don't dislike. What it písses me off is that MARCA doesn't even consider Torres or others, they have to press for their Real Madrid (look the Raul campaign) even when the COUNTRY is at stake, not a club.

Casillas, Raul, Butragueño were never too hated here, because they were humble, respectful and not arrogant.

Others like Hierro though ...  :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 am

Arbeloa hasn't started well the tournament. He exits the taxi, he answers the press, and suddenly he realises he as forgotten the luggage in the taxi and runs for it. Tries to get another taxi to pursue his taxi but he loses the taxi :D

Fortunately he'll be able to recover it thanks to the ticket and identification number.

A cheeky fan says in Marca website that with the girlfriend he has, Berta Collado, it's normal he forgets things.

SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Now I can't wait for EURO 2008 to start.

Manhattan is totally into this whole "Support Spain" thing.

I'll keep Netherlands as a backup since Kuyt and Babel (one or both) will be playing too.

As long as a Liverpool player gets their hands on the EURO trophy, Manhattan will be happy.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 9:34 pm

If Manhattan powers are with us, we could reach the final 24 years later. :)

Xabi ALonso has spoken sense this afternoon. He basically thinks it's a mistake to consider us favourites, as we do not have reasons to state that. He prefers focusing in each game. The group first, then everything later.

I think that it's good we remove that pressure from ourselves. Spain had traditionally too much confidence in our football, we had the best league for many years (not right now), we had talented players, and the hopes were so big, that the official song for the last world cup was named "Don't come back without it (the cup)" -- No vuelvas sin ella.

Well, the players were all readmitted in Spain anyway. I think we have to go step by step.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 27, 2008 9:38 pm

My main worry for the Euro's is Torres. How the hell am I supposed to support Holland or Italy if they are playing against Torres!!! :(
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 pm

I cant wait for it to start just to see the reds in action again  :laugh: Mind you if Raffa signs anymore Spanish players we might aswell turn up to the next tournement  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 28, 2008 12:03 am

For Huck: Hi mate This is why I have a chip on the shoulder with both Marca and the Madrid press.

In that video, you can watch the best two keepers in Spanish history, bar Iribar.

While Casillas receives enough credit because he plays for Real Madrid, Arconada never got the credit because he played for Real Sociedad all his career, and always will be remembered for the mistake in the final. If you look at the semifinal and quarter of finals though, you'll realise we wouldn't have been there if other keeper than Arconada was under the sticks.

What a difference to see Robinson, treating this with respect, and what a difference to see that little cúnt Maldini saying he was overrated. Overrated? My árse, look at that videos.

And look at Casillas' eyes, all humbled by the praise of Arkonada. Casillas' legend of child was Arkonada, and no doubt he's a great great keeper, of the same league of Luis.

My chip on the shoulder is that sometimes Madrid journos still think in their fúcking Real Madrid rather than considering all the players are Spanish.

For those who're interested in a spectacular goalkeeping, the video is interesting despite being in Spanish.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed May 28, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 am

After some tests, it seems that againt Peru, we are going to see Villa and Torres upfront together, and Xabi Alonso in the holding mid.

No Arbeloa yet. Fabregas on the bench, in this 2 strikers formation.

---------------------Casillas-------------

Sergio Ramos   Puyol   Marchena   Capdevila

-------------- Xabi Alonso

--Iniesta  ---------Xavi------------Silva

------------Villa----Fernando Torres

This are the lads that got the starting eleven top in the last training test. Extremely attacking, with all the right wing for Ramos, 2 strikers, and just one holding mid to hold all that.

In order to see if this gung ho formation will be used in the Euro it will have to be reasonbly successful in the tests. Xabi Alonso under this formation is asked to focus on defensive duties, although he's of course the one that starts the play. When he receives the ball, you'll see either Xavi and Iniesta coming deeper to help him, and try to win the midfield by having posession most of the time.

That, is, when Spain has the ball you can see a formation like this

---------------Xabi Alonso
Ramos -------Xavi----Iniesta------Silva. Both central / attacking midfielders have are very mobile, and try to create 2 against one situations, with either Ramos, or Silva. Alonso covering the back.

When Spain hasn't the ball, well, that's what I'm worried about.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat May 31, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 pm

Im not harry kewell may me going to celtic!!
Right not far away enough!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion