Spanish primera división 06/07 - All your questions here

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:43 am

Interested on how Barragan or Mori is doing?

Want to know the latest ridiculous thing about Real Madrid?

LFC has to play against an Spanish team and you want to track that team?

I open this thread so that you put the questions related to the Spanish football, and I answer the best I can. There are some other users that might help to answer too.

All the pundits around here still think Barcelona is far beyond Real Madrid. Barcelona has made few signings, GudJohnsen to make the role of Larsson, Zambrotta, who will give the consistency to the RB that the local Oleguer wasn't able to give, and Thuram, who'll strenghthen the defence.

Real Madrid has new president, but they seem to be committing the same mistakes of the past. Capello though, might give them the seriousness they require in the dressroom. Diarra, Cannavaro, Emerson are the main signings but their squad seems not to be closed.

Keep an eye Atletico de Madrid this year. That Agüero seems to be a superb player, and might give the performance Torres hasn't given despite his fame. They have reinforced a lot with people like COstinha and other signings. I like their Squad.

Real Sociedad won't have troubles to avoid relegation this season because we have reinforced the defensive midfield position and the back, which whas what we needed. We were the 6th best team scoring, the problem was we conceded to many. Xabi Alonso's brother Mikel, won't be playing in the position that despaired me last season, and his substitute Rivas, is what we needed. A fighter with positioning and that steals a lot of balls. I'm confident this year. I wasn't last year.

Well, whatever you want to know thorugh out the year, just ask.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:04 am

morientes scored for valencia last night didn't he?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:04 am

stmichael wrote:morientes scored for valencia last night didn't he?

yes indeed he did. A tap in, not the best you will ever see but they all count.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Sabre.... How comes nobody's come in with a big offer for Torres? Is it that he's not that well thought of yet?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Sabre.... How comes nobody's come in with a big offer for Torres? Is it that he's not that well thought of yet?

:cool:

He's well overpriced and overated. I'll let Sabre tell you the rest.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm

BTW how is josemi doing these days?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:17 pm

Sabre, any predictions for Villareal?  Were they a one-off or are they a strong side again this season?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dward » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Sabre, how do you think Spanish sides will fare in Europe this season?
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Sabre, in the last ten minutes, my brother has asked me what price Real Madrid are for the Champions League.  I just had a nose around the internet, but it appears the betting is suspended (maybe Dawson can PM me with any prices) as there are games albeit qualifiers on tonight.

Have they a chance this year?
jonnymac1979

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 pm

Nice thread Sabre!!
Im sure it will be appreciated by some on here as the coverage of Spanish footy aint the best.

Can i ask you a question about Gerry Armstrong?
For starters do you know of him?He covers your game on Sky Sports on a Sunday night,seems to know a lot of whats going on in the Spanish League..i think he lives there now!

Just interested as he was a boyhood heroe of mine as he scored a goal in 1982 i will never forget!He took Northern Ireland to the quarter finals of the world cup(our best ever achievent cause we are cr@p)

Is he famous in Spain?
66-1120597113

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:50 pm

I remember Armstrong because he played against Spain, but he's not famous here because that channel is not popular so far in Spain. Northern Ireland ruined Spain's WC IIRC :) you had a better squad then .

Popular brits here are ex red Michael Robinson, who's a TV star, and Sid Lowe, the Guardian journalist that has lots of knowledge about our league. If you like footie a lot here, names like Phil Ball are known. He knows a lot of footie and have written some good footie books. He's a RS fan here, BTW :)

Real Madrid hasn't got a chance to win the CL, I'd be very surprised if they did so, but perhaps it's better to see how they start the league.

Villareal has reinforced well apparently with men like ex RS NIhat, ex Arsenal Pires, Cani a promising quality midfielder from Zaragoza, and Somoza which I don't know since he comes from Velez Sarsfield in Argentina.

But they had two injury blows the last two weeks, that seems to be lenghty: Pires and most importantly Gonzalo, a good CB they have. Villareal is like a small version of Chelsea, made with money and with no history, but have a nice crowd that respect other crowds, and they are allowing to work to Pellegrino, so a good base of players, + calmness in the bench might give them another succesful season. Their main doubts are in the goalkeeping place, they haven't found a proper replace for Reina yet.

I expect Barcelona reaching the CL final again, they are really strong. Valencia hasn't the might that used to have with Benitez, and they have always internal problems and too much pressure around. But they should be in quarter of finals of CL. Osasuna was out the qualification against Hamburgo (as expected, they're humble) and Real Madrid is a big ¿¿¿¿ ????? Capello is rated here, but he'll have to do a lot of cleaning job in the dressroom. They're trying to offload Ronaldo now. I think that IF they let Capello work, and remove the power to some maddonas in the dressroom, after this year of transition they might come back again. Anyway, I see then in the quarter of finals too.

Torres? heh. We'll see, but Agüero seems to be what they really needed.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 am

Has any well known Basque player ever got grief for playing for the Spanish national team?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:01 am

There have been players that said they wouldn't, but they had never the chance of being selected... so it's not the same. Same applies to other regions of Spain with nationalism sentiments like Galicia or Catalunya. Nacho a nineties player of Galicia said officialy that he wouldn't play the squad, but he wasn't summoned. Oleguer, nowadays player, has written books about politics and everything (I don't plan to read them), but despite saying he's not Spanish, he said he'd play for the Spanish squad. Here the Squad means money for the player, as it raises the value of the player, and one thing is nation and another thing the pocket :)

There was a anecdote 20 years back with RS legendary keeper Arconada. He always played with white socks in the team and didn't want to play the official black socks of the national squad that carried a Spanish flag. But that was it, he played with white socks and that's all. That keeper was important of Spain, and several keepers like Palop (Sevilla F.C) or every RS keeper still play with white socks in the team in his honor.

In other minor sports, with not so much money involved, there have been cases though. Euskadi has a Surfing national squad and a few other sports aswell. But in the major ones there hasn't been such refusals.

Spanish regional  nationalism will  always be moderated, because the nationalist regions are governed locally by the nationalists. And that means they manage their money and their stuff (much more autonomy than the one Scotland has). An independence would put that money and business in danger, so you won't see revolts claiming for independence here, unless you talk about minoritary (1% or so) radicals. Money is everything, and more important than sentiments, in football and politics aswell.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:45 pm

any coverage of the super cup game between barcelona and seville tomorrow sabre? should be a decent game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Sorry didnt see the other La Liga post

Barcelona havent spent much but didnt need to. Zambrotta, Thuram, Gudjonson and saviola back, Barca look as strong as ever.

Real Madrid - Capello will make Real a lot tighter at the back.  With Emerson, Diarra, Canaravo, Van Nistelrooy and possibly Kaka to come in as well, Real should really push for the title this year.  Robinho after 1 season in Europe should be awesome this year.

Valencia - Del Horno, Morientes and now Joaquin (rumoured to have gone today for £16 millon) with goal machine Villa should see Valencia once again very strong.

Athletico Madrid - Aguerro (The 17 year old wonderkid - cannot wait to see him in action), Costinha, Maxi Rodriques, Mista and keeping Torres makes me think Athletico will be strong this year.  I dont think they will win it but top 4 is a real possibility.
puroresu

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion