Spanish primera división 06/07 - All your questions here

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:52 pm

It's quite bitter actually.

San Sebastian is a small town of 200.000, we're a humble, yet historical club. Bilbao instead is the 4th city of Spain. They get the fame of playing with "only Basques" and they say of theirselves that they're a youth system team, but what they do it to plunder around and buy, not work with the players.

They grab with bad methods players of Osasuna, Real Sociedad, Santender and Logroñes realms, and then they present them to the world as of their own.

Real Sociedad instead works the youth system and signs foreigners where the youth system lads cannot reach, for instance in the early nineties we signed up Aldo as our local striker was not good enough.

So I can't stand them, most of their best players like Etxeberria or Urzaiz, come from RS or Osasuna, they haven't worked with them, they're arrogant bunch, and they use all kind of tricks to sign them up.

They're as arrogant as this, there was a thread in last summer in which they were totally convinced Xabi Alonso was willing to leave Liverpool to join Bilbao :laugh: . Their youth system hasn't made players like Arteta, or Xabi Alonso for ages.

But the crowds get along well, there's not violence and we go to the stadium together drinking, despite we want each other to lose every game, it's quite special the relationship. I get alongwell with Bilbao fans, but I hate their club, mostly, because they try to pick the players that we've worked with tempting them with money, and that's frustrating because it's the work of many years.

We don't mind a player going to Bilbao at the correct price. For instance Liverpool came, talked to the club, reached an agreement for Alonso, and that's ok. Bilbao instead, when it's two years or one year to end the contract, press secretly the player in order he doesn't re-sign, and rarely they succeed like with Etxeberria. I think it's a sign of knighthood to talk to the club and negotiate, not to press the players offering higher wages so that they not renew the contract.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 am

John Toshack could quit as Wales boss to take up the role of sporting director at real Sociedad. (Various)
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:25 am

sort of. He'll send his second man Iriarte (Wales 2nd) while he controls from background him while he keeps the place in Wales squad.

I guess that means there's no money, as this two are one of the few ready to accept that job under the condition of noy paying anything in signing ups.

Toshack loves his second club and knows getting much profit to little money, in that sense, it's good news
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hebz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 am

personally i didnt want real madrid to win la liga. i was gutted that real sociedad got relagated, there were worse teams tbh. i wanted the underdogs to snatch the title from both barca and madrid. that would have been a great way to end the season :) maybe next year
Hebz

Postby red37 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:47 pm

who won the copa del rey, or has it not been played yet?

:D

seek and ye shall find! - never mind ive found me answer.

Sevilla beats Getafe 1-0 in Copa del Rey final

Posted: Saturday June 23, 2007 7:47PM

MADRID, Spain(AP)

An early goal by Frederic Kanoute of Mali gave UEFA Cup champion Sevilla a 1-0 win over Getafe in the final of Spain's Copa del Rey at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium on Saturday.

Former Tottenham striker Kanoute scored in the 11th minute on a very warm night by pouncing on a poor backpass by Getafe central defender Ruben Pulido.

The win allowed Sevilla, with 102 years of history, to add a third cup this season to its trophy room having taken the European Supercup 3-0 against FC Barcelona, and been the first club in more than 20 years to retain the UEFA Cup when it beat Espanyol 3-1 on penalties.

Upstart Getafe, barely 61 years old, with a much smaller budget and ascended to the Primera Liga only three seasons ago, had aimed to showcase coach Bernd Schuster's tactical expertise which has reportedly linked him with Real Madrid next season.

Due to its greater age in the league, Sevilla played as the host team at the Bernabeu, using Real Madrid's dressing room.

The first chance of the match came when Getafe forward Daniel Guiza managed to clear Sevilla's defense only to have his shot stopped by goalkeeper Andres Palop in the seventh minute.

Guiza was Getafe's top scorer in the competition with 17 goals, six in the knockout final stages.

Sevilla played a Copa del Rey final for the first time since 1962 when it lost 2-1 to Real Madrid. Before that Sevilla had won 3-0 against Sabadell in 1934, 6-2 against Racing de Ferrol in 1939, and 4-1 against Celta Vigo in 1948.

Sevilla midfielder Renato right-footed teammate Luis Fabiano's cross hard but Getafe goalkeeper Luis Garcia stopped it in the 26th minute.

Kanoute had a shot saved by Garcia in the 51st.

Getafe midfielder Nacho Perez shot high over the crossbar in the 54th.

Match-winner Kanoute was ejected in the 90th after retaliating against Getafe midfielder Francisco Casquero by kicking him in the right ankle.

In February, Sevilla coach Juande Ramos was knocked unconscious by a bottle hurled by a spectator during a Copa del Rey quarterfinal against crosstown rival Real Betis.

Under Ramos, Sevilla finished third in the Spanish league, its best result there in 37 years.

well played Sevilla FC.
Last edited by red37 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm

red37 wrote:who won the copa del rey, or has it not been played yet?

Seville 1-0 Kanoute mate
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 pm

s@int wrote:
red37 wrote:who won the copa del rey, or has it not been played yet?

Seville 1-0 Kanoute mate

I know - (now)  :D

Thought it might have been on the telly somewhere...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Happy for Sevilla F.C. An authenthic and historical Spanish club, with a loyal crowd, and that has rised from Segunda division to great heights in 7 years, not due to magic or miracles, but due to hard work.

It's worth analysing the steps they've done since 2001.

Not gutted for Getafe at all, a team whose crowd are most of them Atletico de Madrid or Real Madrid fans. In segunda they had a core of 3000 - 4000 fans, the other ones cheer up Atletico when they go to Getafe. It's a club that will return to segunda sooner rather than later.

I know a new poster around here knows some of the staff there :) , I mean no disrespect at all, it's just that they're growing too quickly, thinking on making a new stadium when their stadium is relatively new, and I have seen many examples like that in la liga before, Compostela, for instance.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:15 pm

First things first.

Sabre, sorry about your team getting relegated. I'm sure they'll be back soon enough.

Secondly, the Spanish Cup Final has already been played??

Was it on Sky?
???
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:46 pm

Yes that was the game the other posters were talking about. A well finished goal by Kanoute, whose agent has said he wants to come back to England.

I don't know how was the previous spell in England of Kanoute, but I think it's a very good striker, worth to have in almost any premiership squad, including the Liverpool one. He has banged quite  a lot of goals of the accuracy of the one he scored yesterday against Getafe.

Getafe made a serious match, doing their usual stuff but Sevilla showed they have more experience in this kind of finals, 1-0, quite deservedly.

The King's Cup should be given more value. If winning it implied a CL position, teams would take it as seriously as should deserve the unique spanish cup competition worth to mention. Entering the CL has become a total priority for the clubs, so the main Cup competition has not the relevance it used to have, with the bloody King of Spain handing the cup and everything, it should be a priority further than the quarter of finals. They must fix it, ASAP.

A proof of it's diminished relevance is which teams are reaching the final. In SPain there's a core of 4 or 5 teams that are above the rest, but the differences are not huge, and it just requires a too big overrotation, or lack of concentration in one game, in order to lose a game against Getafe, Betis, or Osasunaish teams. That's why those teams are reaching finals. Big teams focus on the league.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:12 am

Yes that was the game the other posters were talking about.

you mean all TWO of them - i.e saint and red37....jeez i dont know, familiarity breeds contempt somewhere along the line i suppose eventually. But hey, whats a name..
Last edited by red37 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:20 am

red37 wrote:
Yes that was the game the other posters were talking about.

you mean all TWO of them - i.e saint and red37....jeez i dont know, familiarity breeds contempt somewhere along the line i suppose eventually. But hey, whats a name..

Ok, thank you for the english lesson. One of my mistakes when I write in English is that when I answer quickly I think in Spanish.

Saying "others" might be used as contempt in some contexts, but in Spanish when it's too obvious who are the posters you're referring (because you just posted in the thread) we use indefinited pronouns like "others"  :) .

So apologises Mr. S@int and Mr. Red37!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 am

Sabre wrote:Yes that was the game the other posters were talking about. A well finished goal by Kanoute, whose agent has said he wants to come back to England.

I don't know how was the previous spell in England of Kanoute, but I think it's a very good striker, worth to have in almost any premiership squad, including the Liverpool one. He has banged quite  a lot of goals of the accuracy of the one he scored yesterday against Getafe.

Getafe made a serious match, doing their usual stuff but Sevilla showed they have more experience in this kind of finals, 1-0, quite deservedly.

The King's Cup should be given more value. If winning it implied a CL position, teams would take it as seriously as should deserve the unique spanish cup competition worth to mention. Entering the CL has become a total priority for the clubs, so the main Cup competition has not the relevance it used to have, with the bloody King of Spain handing the cup and everything, it should be a priority further than the quarter of finals. They must fix it, ASAP.

A proof of it's diminished relevance is which teams are reaching the final. In SPain there's a core of 4 or 5 teams that are above the rest, but the differences are not huge, and it just requires a too big overrotation, or lack of concentration in one game, in order to lose a game against Getafe, Betis, or Osasunaish teams. That's why those teams are reaching finals. Big teams focus on the league.

Kanoute is saying he doesnt want to leave.  When I saw initial reports of Kanoute wanting to go back to England I wondered how true they could be.  I mean why would Kanoute want to leave Seville a top side in Spain, in the CL for a mid table side in England?
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:07 am

Why would Forlan want to join Atletico rather than Manchester? it's a smaller club. But real life factors, like language, how well you adapt to a country and all that also counts.

Club wise he's in a top club, but as far as I could read, he wants to leave, and his agent says the offers he's studying are for England.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Looks like no-one wants to leave Barca

Eidur Gudjohnsen says he has no plans to leave Barcelona, despite the imminent arrival of Thierry Henry at Camp Nou.

The former Chelsea striker has been linked with a move back to England after a disappointing first season with the Catalan giants.

The 28-year-old has managed only five league goals since his €12million (£8million) move from Stamford Bridge last June.

But despite his poor return the Iceland front man says he is happy in Spain and wants to fight with former Arsenal striker Henry, Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Lionel Messi for his place in the Barca line-up.

"There is a lot of speculation but I haven't spoken to anyone and am only thinking of continuing here," Gudjohnsen told sports daily El Mundo Deportivo on Monday.

"There were high expectations when I arrived and it's normal that when a striker doesn't score many goals people expect more of you. I also expect more from myself.

"But after last season I will be more settled. I know how the club works, the language, and I will only have to focus on my game. When I am in top form it will be easier to change people's opinions of me.

"I know that after not winning anything everyone is thinking of making lots of changes, but I want to stay."

As for Kanoute.  I tend not to believe what agents say.  Agents say a lot of things which doesnt mean anything.
puroresu

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion