pep guardiola to leave barca

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm

metalhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 pm wrote:
andy_g » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm wrote:don't want to diminish guardiola's achievements in the slightest, but anyone that can pick a team with messi, xavi, iniesta, villa, alves, busquets, puyol, etc etc isn't going to have too much trouble. i'd love to see what he could do with a 'lesser' team.

we can say the same about Paisley no? 13 trophies in 4 seasons is huge, considering that Frank Riikjard had basically the same team but didn't achieve as much

i think the players matured and peaked under guardiola and it was just their time to shine
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

since messi has come to see us play twice this year, lets hope he might move tro us then now his manager is gone lol.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:44 pm

He could have been a much more successful than Alex Ferguson if he was able to continue being manager of Barca. Could have won more titles, for a shorter period as well. Too bad he felt like he had to quit.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm

andy_g » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:52 pm wrote:don't want to diminish guardiola's achievements in the slightest, but anyone that can pick a team with messi, xavi, iniesta, villa, alves, busquets, puyol, etc etc isn't going to have too much trouble. i'd love to see what he could do with a 'lesser' team.

yeah i'm not convinced until he proves he can cut it on a cold wednesday night at stoke :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 pm

lakes10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm wrote:since messi has come to see us play twice this year, lets hope he might move tro us then now his manager is gone lol.

has he really gone to see us twice this year? in anfield?.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:03 pm

damjan193 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm wrote:He could have been a much more successful than Alex Ferguson if he was able to continue being manager of Barca. Could have won more titles, for a shorter period as well. Too bad he felt like he had to quit.

For the all the hype around Fergie he has failed miserably in Europe...
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 pm

You can't underestimate the importance of having great players to work with and Guardiola was very fortunate in that regard to have inherited so many great players. If he'd signed the likes of Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi himself, he would be due even more credit. Not only that, but you can't escape the fact that these players already had a prior understanding of each other having progressed through the same youth setup, playing under the same philosophy. So, when Guardiola took over, I think it's fair to say a lot of the key elements for success were already in place.

This isn't to deny his role in their success. If memory serves me, Barca hadn't won a major trophy two years prior to Guardiola's appointment but won the treble in his first season and much more in later seasons, so he obviously had a big impact.

However, I do think that getting a side of great players to successfuly gel together in a club you are very familar with and where many of the players already have a prior understanding, is an altogether different challenge to building a side of our own. This is why I wouldn't be so confident that he would be able to imitate his success at Barca with another club. Be interesting to find out, though.
LFC2007

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

metalhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 pm wrote:I would take Pepe Guardiola IF Kenny ever steps down, one of the classiest managers around really, and his football philosophy is excellent.

I doubt he'd be able to implement the football philosophy he implemented at Barcelona anywhere else to be honest. When he does enter his next job, I expect his approach to be a lot different.

He was fortunate to enter a club with talents like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, though arguably all those players have improved under him. He's shown he's a good manager during his time with Barcelona and if he was to come here I wouldn't expect him to have us playing the Barca way, purely because we haven't got the players or the academy to produce players like Xavi, Iniesta or Messi.

I think Pep Guardiola would more than likely go to Arsenal who have a similar outlook on football that Barcelona have, they're just not as successful because of their managers stubborness and sheer arrogance.
Boxscarf

Postby burjennio » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

The best manager of the last 4 years, his success has been phenomenal and he plays the most mesmerizing brand of football I think I have ever seen. Hes had great players to work with, but he has without question got the maximum out of them.

I would carry him from Catalonia to Melwood on my back if he would become are next manager when Dalglish steps down.
burjennio

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm

It's easy to see what that pressure has done to him over the past four seasons.

NOW

Working upto 18 hours a day at times managing a club - even one as gifted with talent as Barca takes it's toll.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 pm

burjennio » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:25 pm wrote:The best manager of the last 4 years, his success has been phenomenal and he plays the most mesmerizing brand of football I think I have ever seen. Hes had great players to work with, but he has without question got the maximum out of them.

I would carry him from Catalonia to Melwood on my back if he would become are next manager when Dalglish steps down.

:nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm

For three seasons they had phenomenal success and there's no denying that, in that time, they played some of the best football you will ever see, but that was down to many factors -- the quality of the players being prime amongst them, as well as the ability of the manager to gel them into a unit. Like I said, though, those players already had a great understanding with each other having played together for many years and Guardiola took charge just as many of them were entering their prime, so it's fair to question just how much of a challenge he had to get them playing that way. If he's as great as people say then we can expect to see him have phenomenal success at other clubs.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that Rijkaard built a great Barca side that mesmerised us all for a period, winning leagues, cups and the CL. He's done nothing of any note since he left. The same may yet prove true of Guardiola; great at one club given a fortunate set of circumstances, but incapable of building a successful side elsewhere.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

The question is, if the owners could sign him up, would the fans prefer him over Kenny? I think I would because guardiola is long term and Kenny is short term...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 11, 2012 3:23 pm

maguskwt » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am wrote:The question is, if the owners could sign him up, would the fans prefer him over Kenny? I think I would because guardiola is long term and Kenny is short term...

he's only long term if he's successful
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kharhaz » Sat May 12, 2012 1:05 am

LFC2007 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm wrote:For three seasons they had phenomenal success and there's no denying that, in that time, they played some of the best football you will ever see, but that was down to many factors -- the quality of the players being prime amongst them, as well as the ability of the manager to gel them into a unit. Like I said, though, those players already had a great understanding with each other having played together for many years and Guardiola took charge just as many of them were entering their prime, so it's fair to question just how much of a challenge he had to get them playing that way. If he's as great as people say then we can expect to see him have phenomenal success at other clubs.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that Rijkaard built a great Barca side that mesmerised us all for a period, winning leagues, cups and the CL. He's done nothing of any note since he left. The same may yet prove true of Guardiola; great at one club given a fortunate set of circumstances, but incapable of building a successful side elsewhere.

Good points there. You could also argue when plan A fails, he simply has no plan B. Look at the game against Chelsea, ok you could argue they were pretty unlucky, but when they needed a goal, they simply had no one tall enough, big enough or strong enough to give them other options. Would I want this at Liverpool? Well Rafa towards the end only had one plan, and it was miserable to watch, especially when all the other teams had us pegged.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion