A win for football - Barça!

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26 am

JBG wrote:I disagree with that.

I think Barcelona are over hyped and Cruff's team was better all round.

Xavi is a big loss for them, with him back in the side they would be closer to the real deal.

I'm not denying that Eto'o is a really good player as he is, but he aint one of the best four or five players in the world, as many are hyping him.

For me Ronaldinho is the greatest player since Maradona, and for the limited amount of what I have seen of Messi, he looks a really special player.

Those two guys are really special.

Alongside them there is Puyol, who is consistently one of the best defenders in Europe and the guy who gives Barca drive and heart at the back.

Eto'o is also a very good player, as is Xavi.

Marquez aint bad, nor is Edmilson, but I wouldn't put them in the top bracket.

Deco is overrated. He had one great season for Porto but he isn't as good as many make out.

Lets remember that La Liga is not as competitive now as it was a couple of years ago. Madrid have awful problems and Valencia are almost unrecognisable from Rafa's side of two years ago. Even Depor, who were one of the best sides in Europe only two years ago, have fallen off.

Barca are currently a very good side but I think they are over rated. They have average players at full back and a weakish centre midfield. Gerrard would eat Motta for breakfast.

If we don't win the European Cup I'd like to see them win it as they are a beautiful team to watch. I think we could strangle the life out of them, though, if we got them.

I can't argue with you over the Cruyff team as I was only 6 when they won the European Cup - I'm just saying what many journalists have said, that this team could be better.

Agree with most of what you have said, except Deco. I watch many of Barcelona's La Liga games, and Deco is a very consistent performer for Barca IMO. He played well again tonight also, he has a great work rate, is very clever on the ball and many opposition players resort to fouling him all the time because its so hard to get the ball off him - not necessarily because he’s that strong, but because he’s very skilful. He can score goals as well, and his passing range is excellent. Top class player as I said, but we'll probably have to agree to disagree over him.

Gerrard and/or Xabi Alonso could easily fit into the Barca side, but they are arguably the best central midfield pairing in Europe. Xavi and Deco is a top combination, especially with Ronaldinho and Messi ahead of them. Unfortunately Xavi has had this terrible injury and may miss the World Cup. If we end up playing them, Gerrard and Xabi will have a huge job to do in keeping possession in midfield, because if Messi and Ronaldinho see a lot of ball, not even Carra will be able to cope. 

Like yourself I also hope Barca win the CL if Liverpool don't end up doing so.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 am

Was a tad disappointed with the quality on show tonight but pleased with the result:D

For the third year running Chelsea bow out without a fight and Barca didn't have to exert themselves too much to see out a comfortable aggregate victory.

For all the self imposed "specialness" Maureen bestowson himself he has yet again failed on the biggest of stages.:D

Was waiting with expectation for it to go off big time after Barca scored but Chelsea looked well beaten.

Needing 2 goals tomorrow at Anfield I fully expect LFC to give it a LOT more than CFC did tonight ............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 am

Sheer Genius.

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:40 am

Dalglish wrote:Needing 2 goals tomorrow at Anfield I fully expect LFC to give it a LOT more than CFC did tonight ............

Too feckin right mate.Im slightly worried it could be one of those nights when everything goes wrong,especially with our strike rate lately.I know we are better than Benfica though,and thats keeping my spirits up.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:23 am

Surely soon, Mourinho has to be charged with disrespect to the officials and the opposition. In his last two games, he's started giving sarcastic applause. I know its the sign of a bitter man but it is still very disrespectful.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:32 am

AussieKopite wrote:Surely soon, Mourinho has to be charged with disrespect to the officials and the opposition. In his last two games, he's started giving sarcastic applause. I know its the sign of a bitter man but it is still very disrespectful.

I'd have him shot if it were up to me.  :nod

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:54 am

Good on yer Barca a win for common decency

Maureen should get a  suspended sentence............hang him
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:01 am

If he does, I'll applaude him. :D
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:44 am

LFC #1 wrote:I can't argue with you over the Cruyff team as I was only 6 when they won the European Cup - I'm just saying what many journalists have said, that this team could be better.

I'm hardly an old man at 29 but I have seen a lot of Barcelona teams since the 1980s and while they have always had brilliant players - in my time they have had Rivaldo, Romario, Ronaldo, Figo, Stoichkov etc - and played beautiful football, the total is more often than not equal of its individual parts.

Barcelona have almost always flattered to deceive which explains why Notts Forest have more European Cups than them.

I do acknowledge that they are an excellent side, but forgive me if I am sceptical. They played even prettier stuff at times in the 1990s when Romario and then Ronaldo were there yet almost always came up short.

The current side is being hyped in Spain as being the real deal but for me, Barcelona will always be pretenders until they deliver another European cup or two. Remember, we have far more European cups than they have.

All the same, I love Barcelona and have been to the Nou Camp which is amazing, and for me, they and Madrid are the biggest two club sides in the world. There is something magical about them. However, that doesn't automatically mean trophies.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:32 am

it really does ask questions of how special the "special one actually is". that's two years in a row at chelsea that he has failed in europe and he's only got himself and his negative tactics to blame. and to come out after the game and say that "barcelona haven't beaten us with eleven players" is just deceiving the fact that chelsea were simply outclassed.

they get away with it in the premiership because there's a lot of dross about and they don't even have to play that well to win most games. but when they come up against the very best in europe they are technically and tactically short on many levels. huth upfront? drogba over crespo? give me a break. :D

i agree with JBG that lampard was shown up to be very average at the highest level. if any player looked like he belonged at that level it was joe cole (who i think is maturing into a top top player). i heard one chelsea fan on the radio last night saying that "if they had signed gerrard in the summer he would have taken that game by the scruff of the neck" and whilst i agree, thank god we've still got him to take the game tonight by the scruff of the neck.

barcelona winning was a victory for football. :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 am

I just love it; Woke up this morning with a huge smile on my face. Barca put a stop to that bunch of arrogant :censored:, and Maureen`s dream of glory in Europe goes up in flames. Then I looked forward to reading all the stupid comments he gave to the press after the loss. On nettavisen.no he claims that the best team lost, referring to the fact that they haven`t lost to Barca while playing 11 against 11 players. Sounds like the :censored: is blaiming the ref from the home game for their European exit. Of course it isn`t mentioned at all the fact that the penalty they were given last night was nowhere near a foul...

Good riddance you f@cking :censored:.

In general, English football has got a strong tradition amongst Norwegain football supporters. There is live broadcast from probably between 8 - 10 premiershipmatches a week in addition to CL, FA-cup and Carling Cup. I even saw the Liverpool reserves vs Manure reserves on my telly earlier this season. Last night I went to a local pub to see Chelsea being knocked out of the CL, and for the first time in my life while watching a match including a team form England, there were no one (!) cheering for the side from the UK. It seems clear to me that the way the Chelsea-side (both players and coaching staff) ambassador their club will implicate a long term damage to the clubs`s reputation. The day Abramovich is tired of splashing his millions about the Chelsea fans risk supporting a club in ruins. Just like :censored: their pants, it warms for a few minutes, but the comfort doesn`t last
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

JBG wrote:All the same, I love Barcelona and have been to the Nou Camp which is amazing, and for me, they and Madrid are the biggest two club sides in the world. There is something magical about them. However, that doesn't automatically mean trophies.

Very true. The Superclasico is probably the biggest derby in the world for that reason. If Real Madrid can turn it around with the resignation of Perez then the Spanish league could provide a very exciting title race for many future seasons.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:14 am

On SBS in Australia, they were showing a delayed broadcast (I also had it live on ESPN) and one of the commentator said about Mourinho that his behaviour is so bad, you'd hate to think what he'd be like in a losing team.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:22 am

Fúck Bar$a. Don't get me wrong I wanted them to win, and I knew and already told you that they were better than Shítski

I feel stupid now. I was so confident we'd pass, that I've prepared a post about how we could beat Bar$a, as they're not invincible and I thought Liverpool was one of the teams that could exploit their weak points, I was dreaming already on how we'd beat them through charging the game by the left (Oleguer is far from being solid).

Bar$a is a team, that tires teams. You can make a goal to them, like Deportivo that scored two. But you keep running after their balls all the game and in min 60 you're exhausted. But I thought that with Riise and Kewell and our good stamina we could give them a hard time. :(
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sonyadudley » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Barca are 'imo' the best football side anywhere within the last 2 years  :buttrock
sonyadudley

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion