Next england manager - Who would be your choice and why?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Alan Curbishley would be my choice. He's done a magnificent job at Charlton. His teams play football the way i like to see it played. He's tactics are sound and I've no doubt he would have the respect of the players. He appears to be a good judge of talent and Charlton have turned us over a few times since they've been in the Prem. He also handles the media well (key for any England manager), doesn't critisize his players in public and doesn't whinge about refereeing decisions all the time (is it me or have half the managers in the league become serial bleaters?.)

As for the other English candidates. I detest Mclaren (even more then Rab.C Nesbit & Maureen!) - He's overated, he's somber, his face gets redder by the day and he has achieved LIMITED success with backing from one of the best chairman in the league.

Fat Sam has done an amazing job at Bolton. He has a lot of charisma and would bring passion and gusto to the job. He is also gaining a bit of European experience with Bolton this year. However, i can't help thinking he would fall out with the English press at the first sign of trouble and i can't quite see him as an international manager.

Stewart Pearce is being strongly linked in the press and of course your 1st thought is 'that's daft', he's only just getting started BUT Klinsman and Van Basten seem to be doing a decent job for Germany and Holand respectively so maybe Pearce could do the same for England? I'm not so sure myself but i reckon if i was an England player i would love to play for him.

Gus Hiddink seems to be one of the early favourites and i'm sure a host of other foreign coaches will be linked with the job. The next manager needs to be an Englishman for me. The bumbling idiots at the FA seem to be convinced that the national team manager should be coaching at Champs League level in order to prove his worth. Of course, the big 4 teams in England all have foreign/Scottish managers which seems to rule English manager out of the running for the England manager's job. If the FA go foreign again it will be bad for English football in the long term i think.

Who's your choice? Should the next man be English? If so, why?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 am

Curbishley is good but he's not won a bean and we would want a manager with a winning mentality and not a manager who has been good with mediocrity.
Big Sam and all the others are the same as well and im sad to say it i cant think of an English manager who would really do the job as all the top clubs in this country have foriegn managers and theres been no real contender for me..

Stuart Pearce has made a great start to his managerial career but its far too early for him to be considered and he knows that anyway.

Looks like another foreigner im afraid...

Gus Hiddink looks like he wants it
Red squirrel

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:26 am

Red squirrel wrote:Curbishley is good but he's not won a bean and we would want a manager with a winning mentality and not a manager who has been good with mediocrity.
Big Sam and all the others are the same as well and im sad to say it i cant think of an English manager who would really do the job as all the top clubs in this country have foriegn managers and theres been no real contender for me..

Stuart Pearce has made a great start to his managerial career but its far too early for him to be considered and he knows that anyway.

Looks like another foreigner im afraid...

Gus Hiddink looks like he wants it

By that rationale we will never have another English manager. It's a Vicious circle. You say we need a manager who has won something. Problem is it's nigh on impossible to win something unless you manage one of the big 4 clubs. No Englishman manages one of the big four. when a job comes up with one of the big four they will look around and say 'we need a manager with a proven track record, someone who has experience in the Champions League, someone who has won something big'. So once again, no Englishman meets the criteria.

When Houllier was pushed out of Anfield we all wanted a winner, someone who had been there and done it. People on here were calling for the likes of O'neil (i was one of those), Mourinho or Hitzfeld. A few favoured someone like Curbishley but his lack of resources (and therefore trophies) went against him and therefore he was seen as a risk. Fortunately for us, Parry went out and got the brightest coach in Europe and the rest is history.

I just think it's pretty laughable that in a country where football is bigger than religion the FA can't find an English manager to look after this England team which has become farsical under Svennis.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:27 am

Fabio Capello .. proven and inspiring.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:31 pm

Guus Hidding  imo would be the best available manager.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:11 pm

gotta be english if u ask me.
id go for curbishley
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:49 pm

chris kamara  :lookaround  :idea  :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:24 pm

dawson99 wrote:gotta be english if u ask me.
id go for curbishley

and you will never win anything again as long as he's your manager.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:44 pm

well we wont anything with sven.

ideal world id like pearce and jewell, but not gonna happen. i just think that england should have an english manager. and yeah curbishley is best of a bad bunch.

i was happy with keegan, he was a nutter
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 pm

I want pearce in myself think he i what engalnd is mising a manager that cares
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Supe » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:18 pm

Sam Allydice  or whatever you call him should take the job.
Supe

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 am

We don't need an experienced manager for england. Just need to be passionate and english.

I am going for Alan Shearer as manager with Peter Taylor as his assistant (great tactician).

Marco Van Basten has no experience but he has done pretty well for holland. Same goes for Jurgen for germany....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:00 am

The ideal man for the job (ergo he won't be picked) is Stuart Pearce.

He manages to get the best out of the English lads at City, has a strong sense of National pride, is honest and is certainly no mug when it comes to tactics. (He studied under Clough for years.)
Aside from that, he must surely have the total respect of ALL the current England squad, won't have favourites, and will make the best judgements for the team, not individuals.

(I think these qualities rule him out straight away - the FA are spineless, and too busy nailing their secretaries to have to bother with a Manager who has his own brain.) The Swede is about as outspoken as Sooty.

I could say "no offence to Sven". I'm not going to, though.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:14 am

me :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:09 pm

Judge wrote:me :)

That's probably the most sensible thing that has been raised in this thread!!!  :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion