Next england manager - Who would be your choice and why?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 am

MARTIN O'NEILL :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:16 am

Looks like big Phil is getting it, he has a good record but I dont know what his English is like and what happens if England have to play Portugal at the World Cup?

From BBC:

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been offered the job of England manager and is discussing terms with the Football Assocation, the BBC has been told.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick is in Lisbon to thrash out a deal with the Portugal manager who is Brazilian.

Scolari, 57, who guided Brazil to victory in the 2002 World Cup, is out of contract after the 2006 finals.

If he accepts the post, he will take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson after this summer's tournament in Germany.

Scolari is thought to have a gentleman's agreement with the Portuguese FA not to commit himself to another job until his current deal runs out in July.

It is understood part of the FA's talks in Lisbon are about waiving this arrangement.

The FA board are due to meet again next Thursday and had hoped to be in a position to finalise their selection by then.

Scolari's case has been championed at the highest level within the FA by Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

News that he has been offered the England job will come as a blow to fans who favour a British appointment.

The FA has also held talks with Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren, Bolton's Sam Allardyce, Charlton manager Alan Curbishley and former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

Last week the FA claimed it had completed its interview process, and McClaren - part of Eriksson's current England coaching team - was seen as favourite.

But Barwick's trip to Portugal seems to support claims that the FA board were unable to reach a decision.

Agreeing personal terms with Scolari should not be an issue as he is believed to earn less than the estimated £3m that the FA is expected to offer.

But the FA's approach raises the prospect of him facing England in Germany this summer as manager-elect, possibly in the quarter-finals.

He has helped to knock England out of their past two major tournaments - with Brazil in the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals, and with Portugal at the same stage in Euro 2004.

Scolari is a double winner of the Libertadores - the South American championship - and took hosts Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, where they lost to Greece.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 am

Further to Dundalks story above:

LONDON (Reuters) - Luiz Felipe Scolari will be offered the job of manager of the English national football team, The Sun claimed on Thursday.

The paper reported that FA officials have travelled to Lisbon to meet Scolari and officials from the Portuguese FA, hoping to secure a deal for the current Portugal and former Brazil coach to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson after the World Cup.

Scolari, who led Brazil to their 2002 World Cup triumph and took Portugal to the final of Euro 2004 -- knocking out England on both occasions -- emerged as an unexpected favourite earlier this week and his contract with Portugal ends after the World Cup in July.

The Sun quoted an "FA insider" as saying FA officials met Scolari on Wednesday with the full permission of the Portuguese FA, although those officials have previously said that they would only discuss the issue after the World Cup.

Eriksson said in January he would quit as England coach after the finals.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:02 pm

well the media have managed to make a right pigs ear out of that one  :no

i dont blame him. and if he witnessed the poll held on ssn that 49% to 51% who didnt want him, id have done the same.

disgrace the press everything has to be a witch hunt  :angry:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 am

scolari seems a bit of an attention-seeker to me, a mourinho type. shame there's no available englishman who seems up to the job (mclaren, fat sam & curbishley are a bit "provincial" if that makes sense)

my choice?

MARTIN O'NEILL. British and a proven winner, albeit in Scotland where even I could win the feckin league with £150 to spend
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:21 am

red37 wrote:well the media have managed to make a right pigs ear out of that one  :no

i dont blame him. and if he witnessed the poll held on ssn that 49% to 51% who didnt want him, id have done the same.

disgrace the press everything has to be a witch hunt  :angry:

Scolari has to endure many times worse press intrusion in Portugal and when he was Brazil manager.

I suspect there are other reasons for his U-turn but a SSN poll isn't one of them. 51% don't want him says nothing, at any one time the incumbant England boss has fans split on whether he is the right man for the job, thats the nature of football.

Let Rafa do it part time   :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:22 am

Well we're down to the dregs agian ith Scolari out of the picture. SO here's my run down of the contenders.

McClaren - Sven Mk 2. now with added shouting ability. Boring choice and a bit dodgy seeing as how he's been having an affair. Funny that. You can be saked from the government for getting your rocks off in another quarry, but you can still go for the England job. Most successful English candidate (and that is a sorry state of affairs).

Big Sam - Self absorbed, moaning, bloating, big gob who's never put a foot wrong and the only reason why Bolton haven't won the Premiership according to him is because the referees have conspired against him. He counts fouls for funks sake. Be better off in a career in bean bags.

O'Neil - Not English so 50% of the population already hate him. Doubtful whether or not he will return to football. Won cup with Leicester and loads with Celtic. But in the SPL, my gran could win loads with Celtic. Excellent man management, volcanic temperament.

Curbishly - ZZZZZZZzzzzzz  ZZZZZZzzzzzz. Dull as dishwater, face like a skinned knee and all the drive of a Reliant Robin with a missing wheel. Would settle for the top half of a qualifying group.

I'd have to go for O'Neil if he comes back to football. After him though...   :(
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

im gonna go with mcclaren. look at his record in cup comeptition with a naff team. and england is about club competetiion not league status.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:38 pm

well whoever the FA eventually stumble across, brave enough to take on the poisoned chalice....will be another 'yes' man wont he?

ppl like scolari, who have a bit of a gob on them would frighten the wet knickers off that shower of lillets.

its why you know who never landed the job. the best coat doesnt always fit though and i suspect we'll end up with a 'safe' bet. another 2 dimensional amatuer tactician with as much 'gumph' in em as a half-pi55ed back-bencher who hasnt farted for an hour....let alone woke up yet!

mclaren or o'neill seem to stand out. either will do, but neither were first choice.... ???  how will that affect their tenure.

me? id have a go with pearce. but like i say, theres another one who wont lie down..

(as a side issue to what might have been) if scolari HAD taken up the england post (imo he would have been a success). then who might the next portugal gaffer have been? ..  mourinho  ???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Curbishly just quit Charlton so I reckon he'll get it now. Either that or he'll go to the Geordies.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:14 pm

yeah curbishley in tears so its all going off, quality end of season. curbs for england? id be happy with that
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stew_the_red » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:16 pm

We need a proper English man, none of this erry fery foreigners who know nothing about the passion of England.
stew_the_red

Postby pur3 rav3r » Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 pm

stew_the_red wrote:We need a proper English man, none of this erry fery foreigners who know nothing about the passion of England.

true and i'm just glad that guy from brazil got scared off
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 04, 2006 2:51 pm

McClaren to be announced this afternoon :down:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_gerrard » Thu May 04, 2006 3:06 pm

its maclaren i think well thats what sky sports said this morning but i dont like him
farmer_gerrard

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion