Next england manager - Who would be your choice and why?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:42 pm

yep mclaren is at soho sq. now. oh well heres to more of the same....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Thu May 04, 2006 5:08 pm

mcclaren - fucking disaster

weve won naff all with sven and macca, so how the hell is macca gonna do it. Its the same thing :(

damn FA, know SWEET FA
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu May 04, 2006 6:15 pm

Mclaren will do well for us ( England ) i think

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 04, 2006 7:33 pm

Not at all sure what to make of this, if we listen to the press we have another Eriksson on our hands who will stick with the big names and big reputation players no matter what.
So Beckham will stay captain and players who are out of form will continue to be selected no matter what.
Is anyone sure that this is actually true though ?
We are led to believe that Mclaren is Eriksson's yes man and that the players will continue having all the power.
How does anyone have a clue that Mclaren has not just been smart about this, keeping most people on his side ?
He may turn out be Eriksson mark 2 but he also could be totally different and axe some big names if they are not performing.He dodged the question about Beckham remaining captain pretty well stating that it was a question that doesnt need answering yet.
One things for sure at Boro he has brought in loads of kids despite the money he has spent, so that is surely a good think for younger players trying to gain an opportunity. The likes of Downing and SWP i think will be looking forward to things after the world cup. At middlesbrough he plays with wide players and i think he will want to do the same with England.
Also i know the teams they faced in the last 2 rounds of the Uefa cup were not the best the way they came back in both games is something that would not of happened if Sven had been in charge, 4 strikers on the pitch as well as Downing, Eriksson is far more cautious.
I am not saying that he is the right man, just that he may not be the man the papers have led us to believe.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_ The _Prowler » Thu May 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Mcclaren = Peter Taylor pt2
Fowler_ The _Prowler

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 04, 2006 7:58 pm

Fowler_ The _Prowler wrote:Mcclaren = Peter Taylor pt2

Is that good or bad ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Crap choice. People go on about how he led Boro to the UEFA Cup final and turned their season around. They forget that he put them in the sh!t earlier in the season, he was close to getting the sack!

How fickle?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 04, 2006 8:18 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Crap choice. People go on about how he led Boro to the UEFA Cup final and turned their season around. They forget that he put them in the sh!t earlier in the season, he was close to getting the sack!

How fickle?

Dont you think it was fickle when he was getting the sh!te ?
He has done a good job there, he might of had money but so did Bryan Robson.
Mclaren won them there first ever trophy, took them to Europe twice and is now in the Uefa final after knocking out Roma.
I think he has done a decent job and the poor league form this season has clouded that slightly.
I still would of preferred more of a motivator like Martin O'Neil but i am not as disappointd by Mcllarens appointment as most.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 04, 2006 8:36 pm

whether this is a good or a bad appointment, it has completely undermined sven. how can mcclaren go to the world cup now and not have a say over team affairs?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 pm

I think it's a bad choice to be honest for England.  I am not denying that he has done a good job for Boro - those that say he hasn't are well wide of the mark - fairly consistent in the league over the last few years (until this season), first trophy, europe, 2 finals this season, you can't really argue with that as it's a good record for a club like Boro even if he did have some cash to spend.

I think it's a bad choice because what England needed was someone fresh to come in, not someone who has been part of the current regime.  England needed someone to come in and say, 'right Beckham's out as captain, he hasn't performed for us for over 2 years now, Ferdinand's been a joke for England for over a year now - he's out, as are fringe players like Jenas who is never International class'.  Maclaren is already too close to these players and I agree that he will not be one to drop the big names when they're not doing it.

The FA have bottled it, they've gone for the safe option, someone already part of the set up.  If they wanted an English coach I think Allardyce and Curbishley were better candidates to be honest.

Good luck to Maclaren though, it's the big job he's been waiting for.  And I don't think he'll have any input as far as tactics/selection go at this World Cup despite opinions to the contrary, it shouldn't affect England's chances in Germany, him and Sven will be professional enough that it won't be a problem.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 am

john craig wrote:I think it's a bad choice to be honest for England.  I am not denying that he has done a good job for Boro - those that say he hasn't are well wide of the mark - fairly consistent in the league over the last few years (until this season), first trophy, europe, 2 finals this season, you can't really argue with that as it's a good record for a club like Boro even if he did have some cash to spend.

I think it's a bad choice because what England needed was someone fresh to come in, not someone who has been part of the current regime.  England needed someone to come in and say, 'right Beckham's out as captain, he hasn't performed for us for over 2 years now, Ferdinand's been a joke for England for over a year now - he's out, as are fringe players like Jenas who is never International class'.  Maclaren is already too close to these players and I agree that he will not be one to drop the big names when they're not doing it.

The FA have bottled it, they've gone for the safe option, someone already part of the set up.  If they wanted an English coach I think Allardyce and Curbishley were better candidates to be honest.

Good luck to Maclaren though, it's the big job he's been waiting for.  And I don't think he'll have any input as far as tactics/selection go at this World Cup despite opinions to the contrary, it shouldn't affect England's chances in Germany, him and Sven will be professional enough that it won't be a problem.

John the point you are making is one that although seems valid, it may not be right.
He is close to the players and has been for the last few years, but he has been a no2 without any real input in who is starting games and who should be captain.
This is his one big chance, if he f'cks this up he will not walk in to another top job like Eriksson he will be on the managerial scrap heap after the press have finished with him.
For that reason i think he might surprise a few people and make a few big decisions, the Beckham captaincy being one of them.

I could be totally wrong on this, but i just feel that this is the fellas one big chance if he is not ruthless then he will waste it.
I would never have had Allardyce myself his tactics are awful despite his great record. He may of changed them with better players, but he would still have the England camp practising set pieces for hours on end in my opinion.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
john craig wrote:I think it's a bad choice to be honest for England.  I am not denying that he has done a good job for Boro - those that say he hasn't are well wide of the mark - fairly consistent in the league over the last few years (until this season), first trophy, europe, 2 finals this season, you can't really argue with that as it's a good record for a club like Boro even if he did have some cash to spend.

John the point you are making is one that although seems valid, it may not be right.
He is close to the players and has been for the last few years, but he has been a no2 without any real input in who is starting games and who should be captain.
This is his one big chance, if he f'cks this up he will not walk in to another top job like Eriksson he will be on the managerial scrap heap after the press have finished with him.
For that reason i think he might surprise a few people and make a few big decisions, the Beckham captaincy being one of them.

I could be totally wrong on this, but i just feel that this is the fellas one big chance if he is not ruthless then he will waste it.
I would never have had Allardyce myself his tactics are awful despite his great record. He may of changed them with better players, but he would still have the England camp practising set pieces for hours on end in my opinion.

I agree with some of the things you're saying Ace, especially that 'if Maclaren isn't ruthless he'll waste his chance' comment.  I think that's the key.  I don't think he will be ruthless to be honest, but like yourself I could be totally wrong on that one.  The Beckham captaincy issue is the big one as far as I see it.  He's not the right man for the job any more - passed his best if we're totally honest and his performances for England over the last few years have been shocking.  I just don't think Maclaren has it in him to strip Beckham of the captaincy, but we'll wait and see...

As far as Allardyce goes I actually think he'd be the better choice for a few reasons.  I don't think he'd let players walk over him and dictate like I can see happening with Maclaren.  Don't get me wrong I don't like Allardyce, but I think he was the best English candidate and tactically I actually think he's very good.  His teams are physical, which is fine, and I certainly don't think Bolton deserve their long ball label, they actually play some nice stuff at times - they have a good balance between playing the ball short and then playing it long.  There's no doubt he can get the best out of players, he's shown that by getting Bolton into Europe spending next to nothing on transfer fees.

Not that any of that matters now because Maclaren will be the boss and there's slim chance Allardyce will ever get a crack at it now.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm

its the fa that need to be more daring. they needed to do a scheme like whats working so well in ireland. pearce and venables would have been perfect but the pu$$y FA people would never go for that.

i think McClaren will do well for what its worth but with the crop of players hes adopting, who wouldnt?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 05, 2006 8:28 pm

We will have to wait and see with Mclaren John, i wasnt made up with his appointment and know we could of done better, but thats the choice the F.A have ended up with, however they got there so i will be backing him all the way.
You are spot on about Beckham, he should not be in the side even now, never mind after the world cup.
He has his qualities..for long passing, crossing and set piece taking he is one of the best in the world still, but its mostly the long stuff that he tries and in the England side it doesnt really help, Owen doesnt have the same pace as he once had so the diagonal ball over the top hardly ever puts him in.
And then we have Owen and usually Rooney not proper headers of the ball despite Owens decent ratio of goals with his head for his country.
We would be far better with a wide player than can beat his man and commit the defence pulling centre halves out of position and cutting the ball back for the likes of Lampard and Stevie Gerrard.
I hope he is brave and makes the right decision, he might not be but tbh if he isnt he will be f'ckin up his one big chance at the big time.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pur3 rav3r » Fri May 05, 2006 8:52 pm

it should be harry redknapp cause he can make miricles happen
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion