John terry sacked as england captain

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Defender John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend

Terry, 29, held talks with England boss Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday.

"After much thought I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," said Capello in a statement.

Terry said he fully respected Capello's decision to demote him, adding he would still "give everything for England".

They next match is a home friendly against Egypt on 3 March as they continue their preparations for the World Cup in South Africa.

Capello returned to the United Kingdom on Thursday and is thought to have been keen to resolve the issue before travelling to Poland for Saturday's Euro 2012 draw.

The Italian, 59, who has been recovering from knee surgery in Switzerland, has been monitoring the fall-out from the Terry saga closely and has regularly spoken to his trusted lieutenant Franco Baldini.

Baldini, England's general manager, held in-depth talks with four key FA board members on Monday - chairman Lord Triesman, chief executive Ian Watmore, director of communications Adrian Bevington and head of development Trevor Brooking.

They agreed that Capello alone would make the decision about Terry's future and that the priority was to make the right decision rather than a quick one.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour," read Capello's statement.

"However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand is tipped to take over the captaincy
"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first.

"When I chose John Terry as captain, I also selected a vice-captain (Rio Ferdinand) and also named a third choice. There is no reason to change this decision.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The FA, particularly Lord David Triesman and Ian Watmore for allowing me to make this decision in my own time and in the best interest of the team."

Terry, a married father of twins, was appointed captain in August 2008 and appeared set to lead England in South Africa.

He is alleged to have had an affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the former girlfriend of England and former Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Bridge, who has a son with the French model, moved to Manchester City in January 2009 and is recovering from a knee injury that has kept him out of action for the last two months.

Meanwhile, Perroncel, a lingerie model and former nightclub hostess, said she would not be selling her story.

In a statement read on her behalf by publicist Max Clifford, Perroncel said: "I have decided I do not want to speak publicly about the speculation since it only seems to add more fuel to the fire.

"I have a three-year-old son and he is my main concern. I do not believe speaking to newspapers or the media is in his interest or my own."
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Has Capello made the right decision?

If if has he made the right choice for captain?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Terry had to go - well done FA and well done Capello.

No RF is not the right choice but he´ll be injured so no problem.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Julio-0 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Gerrard captain :cool: :buttrock
Last edited by Julio-0 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julio-0

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Shows what a good manager Cappello is. No messing around.  I think Terry had to go not because he has cheated on his wife, but because he betrayed a member of the squad (?) And even worse his supposed best friend.  I don't think anyone in th e squad would have ever trusted him again.

Is Rio the right man... I don't think so, but it does make sense for the vice captain to step up
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby fivecups » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Shows what a good manager Cappello is. No messing around.  I think Terry had to go not because he has cheated on his wife, but because he betrayed a member of the squad (?) And even worse his supposed best friend.  I don't think anyone in th e squad would have ever trusted him again.

Is Rio the right man... I don't think so, but it does make sense for the vice captain to step up

Completely agree. If I was a player in their team I would find it difficult to accept him as captain knowing he knocked up my team-mates bird. Terry is a scumbag, always has been a sneaky c*nt, remember him grinding his studs into one of our players shins (Torres) as they lay on the ground in a CL match a couple of seasons ago. Nice to see him getting a bit of negative attention.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:09 pm

its the member of the aquad thing I agree with as well, esp that it would was good friend he did it to. I don't think it would have been good for the rest of the lads to keep him on tbh.

Who could have been chosen to fill his shoes? well I'm glad it's not my job to choose but what is clear is that it shouldn't be John Terry. Personally I think Rio's back's gonna go before he makes it to the World Cup so it'll be Gerrard. I might just have a reason to support England at the World Cup :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm

12 minute meeting boom boom. 

Two minutes to tell him he's a tw@t, 10 minutes waiting for Terry to stop crying. We've seen it before.... :blues:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:17 am

Has Capello not considered the fact that there is a good chance Ferdinand will fall injured again before the end of the season?

Anyway has Bridge said yet if he will quitting international football. To be honest if he still ends up going to the world cup will there surley not be a tension in the dressing room with the both of them there? JT should have been throw out of the squad altogether. I know he is a key player for England but the truth is stripping him of the captaincy is a trivial thing. Sure he may lose a few sponsorships but with them 2 both still in the squad the tension is there and that needs to be resovled.

Anyway im sure the rest of you have seen this floating around too but there are some rumors going around that she also slept with a few other players, Ashley Cole is supposed to be one of them.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:53 am

Good decision by Capello but I feel the damage has been done, I'm not so confident about England's chances now anymore.
Zidane

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:52 am

bavlondon wrote:Has Capello not considered the fact that there is a good chance Ferdinand will fall injured again before the end of the season?

Anyway has Bridge said yet if he will quitting international football. To be honest if he still ends up going to the world cup will there surley not be a tension in the dressing room with the both of them there? JT should have been throw out of the squad altogether. I know he is a key player for England but the truth is stripping him of the captaincy is a trivial thing. Sure he may lose a few sponsorships but with them 2 both still in the squad the tension is there and that needs to be resovled.

Anyway im sure the rest of you have seen this floating around too but there are some rumors going around that she also slept with a few other players, Ashley Cole is supposed to be one of them.

nope, never heard of her other escapades.

being stripped off captaincy is not so trivial when the entire footballing globe is looking at you and having a judgement on your morals while at it.

its a blow to his personal life as well as he cheated. his ego would've taken a massive beating. well deserved too :D that scumbag.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Reg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 pm

His missus has said she wants a divorce remember.... bet he's not stopped crying for days...... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 pm

I detest Terry and, the removal of Englands captaincy couldn't of happened to a more worthy ku.nt.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Apparently Capello has given the Captains armband to Gary Neville because he's got no chance of sh@gging a players wife :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Julio-0 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:49 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Apparently Capello has given the Captains armband to Gary Neville because he's got no chance of sh@gging a players wife :D

:D
Julio-0

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion