Cheats, divers

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Wrong site and town » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Just thought this would be right up your street.

If you only do one thing today, do this.

There is a very real danger that Cristiano Ronaldo will be voted the fans' best young player at the World Cup
Despite his pouting, diving, pretty boy antics designed mainly to get himself a lucrative transfer to
Real Madrid and thus avoid the good kicking he deserves from Wayne
Rooney
He is currently 1st in the FIFA voting just ahead of Luis Valencia of Ecuador.
Please can everyone go to

www.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bypa/eligible.html

Do the decent thing by voting for Valencia.

It doesn't matter who you support or if you haven't seen them play, just stop Ronaldo.

Takes 30 seconds...You know it makes sense!!!!

SPREAD THE WORD.............!

[B] :)
Wrong site and town

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Wrong site and town wrote:Just thought this would be right up your street.

If you only do one thing today, do this.

There is a very real danger that Cristiano Ronaldo will be voted the fans' best young player at the World Cup
Despite his pouting, diving, pretty boy antics designed mainly to get himself a lucrative transfer to
Real Madrid and thus avoid the good kicking he deserves from Wayne
Rooney
He is currently 1st in the FIFA voting just ahead of Luis Valencia of Ecuador.
Please can everyone go to

www.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bypa/eligible.html

Do the decent thing by voting for Valencia.

It doesn't matter who you support or if you haven't seen them play, just stop Ronaldo.

Takes 30 seconds...You know it makes sense!!!!

SPREAD THE WORD.............!

[B] :)

funk off luis, your just trying to get us to vote for you

:D
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:04 pm

scott carson has 669 votes    :D
112-1077774096

Postby Raoul » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:26 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
bng89 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
bng89 wrote:Australia got knocked out by a dive. Why don't FIFA do anything- because they are corrupt

What are FIFA going to do? replay the whole game and throw the World Cup schedule into chaos. :no

Teams get hard done by often, Italy shouldn't have had Materazzi sent off for starters.

Inept maybe, but corrupt? I'm not sure you know what the word means.

If that sort of thing happened in a game between Brazil and Argentina the ref would have never given a penalty. FIFA want the 'top teams' (Germany, Argentina, France, Brazil, England, Portugal) to be in it to the death- they dnt want fuking underdogs.

If that were true, Materazzi never would never have got a straight red.

This kind of blows your "theory" out of the water I'm afraid.

Australia got knocked out because they couldn't score against 10 men.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:38 pm

To be fair to referee's they have a split second to call any decision, us, as fans have instant replays and sometimes a better view and more angles in which we can judge whether or not it is a dive/foul.

I watched the France vs Portugal game like many and the diving was simply terrible, where is the consistency within the referees? Positga I think it was went down quicker than a slapper even though no one had touched him, and our best friend Ronaldo dived as well and did a great impression of superman. Infact, in the game against England Ronaldo dived twice, the referee was having none of it - yet he wasn't booked for either one, when really he should have gone. The ref in the Italy-Germany game was excellent.

So I think it should be a yellow card offense as it is, but referee's have to do more and become more consistent as well. Every player seems to be diving nowadays, even English players are doing it and our very own Steven Gerrard has done it once or twice. So in all in all, just give them a yellow card every time they do it, obviously if they dive again they are off with a red card (or they stay on with another yellow if your name is Mr. Poll).
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:25 pm

dawson99 wrote:
0asis wrote:I think it's unfair that Henry is taking so much flak for diving, as John sed, many players do it nowadays, even the likes of Henry, Garcia and Gerrard dive. Cheating is a big part of today's football, you'll just have to accept it. And to be fair to Henry, I can see why he did cheat and that was to get Arogones where it hurts the most after his comments on Henry a while ago.

Bey Henry is one of the most vocal players when it comes to diving and cheating. Whenever Arsenal lose Henry will be the first to say it was down to the diving and cheating of the opposition.

So yes, Henry does deserve the stick he gets

Gerrard has also been vocal on the issue as well, yet he's taken dives the most notable ones were against AC Milan, Bolton and Hungary. Why isn't he getting stick? Seems like one rule for Liverpool players and another for all non-Liverpool players.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 pm

radun5 wrote:My point is : since video evidence is already used for banning (in case of players hitting each other and not being spotted by the referee), I would be for banning cheaters and divers (yellow cards for diving in the penalty area, red cards for diving in order to get somebody sent off) and to cancel the bans in case the referee redcarded a player with no fault.

Seeing people rolling on the floor is a disgrace, and also is seeing players showing imaginary cards to the referee (therefore trying to influence him). Some players' minds seem to be more on this kind of stupid things, instead of eyeing the ball.

I propose we start a poll concerning this ... maybe a petition to FIFA might also help.

If FIFA clamp down anymore on foul play, you'll be send off for kicking the ball. There is another technologies in football to be able to send off players, and the best technology of them all is the eyes of the referee and linesman.
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:51 pm

0asis wrote:Gerrard has also been vocal on the issue as well, yet he's taken dives the most notable ones were against AC Milan...

That was never a dive for me, mate.  Gattuso tripped him up and denied him a scoring opportunity.  Gerrard's no serial diver and the few times he has gone down in the box he hasn't brought out the theatrics to con the ref.  If he goes down and there's no call, he pops back up, end of.  That's why you can't put him in the cheats category with the likes of Ronaldo, Robben and countless others.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
0asis wrote:Gerrard has also been vocal on the issue as well, yet he's taken dives the most notable ones were against AC Milan...

That was never a dive for me, mate.  Gattuso tripped him up and denied him a scoring opportunity.  Gerrard's no serial diver and the few times he has gone down in the box he hasn't brought out the theatrics to con the ref.  If he goes down and there's no call, he pops back up, end of.  That's why you can't put him in the cheats category with the likes of Ronaldo, Robben and countless others.

I've watched Gerrard "foul" from a few different angles and I have to say BB it looks like the slightest bit of contact from Gattuso and Gerrard going down, to me that's a dive. I'm not putting Gerrard in the same catergory but you can hardly stick Henry in the catergory with Robben, Ronaldo and the countless others. Both Henry and Gerrard have come out and slammed cheats, therefore they are as bad as each other, as far as I'm concerned they are both as bad as each other. So if Henry gets stick then so should Gerrard.
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:18 pm

0asis wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I've watched Gerrard "foul" from a few different angles and I have to say BB it looks like the slightest bit of contact from Gattuso and Gerrard going down, to me that's a dive. I'm not putting Gerrard in the same catergory but you can hardly stick Henry in the catergory with Robben, Ronaldo and the countless others. Both Henry and Gerrard have come out and slammed cheats, therefore they are as bad as each other, as far as I'm concerned they are both as bad as each other. So if Henry gets stick then so should Gerrard.

I wouldn't disagree with that.  Henry and Gerrard should not be lumped in with the likes of Ronaldo, Robben, Postiga etc.  In fact, I think Henry's "dive" yesterday was on par with Gerrard's "dive" in Istanbul but that's because I don't think either were true dives.  There was contact in the box in both cases and a scoring opportunity was thwarted because of said contact.  In each case, the player went down to signal that they had been impeded.  Could both players have stayed on their feet?  Sure.  Should they have stayed on their feet?  That's a judgment call.  Personally, I have absolutely no problem with either player going down in the box under those circumstances.  When players throw themselves to the ground at the slightest wiff of contact, with the ball no where near them--like Ronaldo and Postiga did yesterday--that's when I get a little indignant. 

Alternatively, when players pretend to have been grievously injured by another player in order to get them carded--like Henry did against Puyol--I also take issue.  This is where the Henry-Gerrard comparison breaks down for me because I have never, ever seen Gerrard feign injury in order to get a player booked.  Henry has done and thus his halo's more tarnished in my eyes.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:31 pm

I agree with you Bob, Henry certainly has no right to complain about cheats and poor behaviour as he has shown with the Champions League and World Cup have displayed this, but it seems that Henry is being unfairly targetted by ppl on here. Every player cheats, be it match fixing, simulating, role playin, diving or trying to influence the referee.

I also don't get why people are making such a fuss about diving and play acting to be honest. It's been present in football for decades, it's become more known in recent years, but judging from people's responses you'd only think they've seen cheating at this World Cup. What goes on in the World Cup is what goes on in the Premiership, Seria A and La Liga each week as well as other leagues in other countries.

And I also think that FIFA's fair play regulations and the fact they are trying to stamp it out is having more of a negative impact on football than the diving. I'd much rather Ronaldo prounce around the box like he's a bally dancer than have Sami Hyypia sent off for accidently tripping up a player.

Cheating will always be part of football, I don't see why so many people are making such a fuss.
48-1119859832

Postby HantsRed » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:03 am

0asis wrote:I also don't get why people are making such a fuss about diving and play acting to be honest. It's been present in football for decades, it's become more known in recent years, but judging from people's responses you'd only think they've seen cheating at this World Cup. What goes on in the World Cup is what goes on in the Premiership, Seria A and La Liga each week as well as other leagues in other countries.

And I also think that FIFA's fair play regulations and the fact they are trying to stamp it out is having more of a negative impact on football than the diving. I'd much rather Ronaldo prounce around the box like he's a bally dancer than have Sami Hyypia sent off for accidently tripping up a player.

Cheating will always be part of football, I don't see why so many people are making such a fuss.

There is no reason why cheating should "always be a part of football" - That is why people are making a fuss!

And while FIFA's stupid guidance on giving automatic yellow cards for "lunges" and the like is having a negative impact on football, the diving/play-acting/trying to get opponents carded is having an even greater negative effect. FIFA have not clamped down on it anywhere near enough. It can be very difficult for referees to spot without replays so for me, retrospective bans using video panels is a must.   

Diving and trying to get players booked is a huge bugbear of mine and it does my head in more and more as it has become more frequent in the Premiership as you say. 
However it was very rare in the old First Division in England when I started watching football 25 years ago and is an infection that the influx of foreign players brought to England with them in the 1990's.

Sorry pal, it might be acceptable to you but it isn't for most British football fans.
HantsRed

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 am

The reason why the subjects becoming more of a concern today is because now it really does affect the game. In the past yes there have been cheaters but usually that was to get a free kick in a really good position or even a penalty, now its to get players sent off more than anything. Gerrard and Henry have dived recently but why shouldnt they be fed up with the cheats like the rest of us? They have been robbed in countless games so why not give a little back? nothings being done about it so they get what they can
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:24 am

HantsRed wrote:There is no reason why cheating should "always be a part of football" - That is why people are making a fuss!

And while FIFA's stupid guidance on giving automatic yellow cards for "lunges" and the like is having a negative impact on football, the diving/play-acting/trying to get opponents carded is having an even greater negative effect. FIFA have not clamped down on it anywhere near enough. It can be very difficult for referees to spot without replays so for me, retrospective bans using video panels is a must.   

Diving and trying to get players booked is a huge bugbear of mine and it does my head in more and more as it has become more frequent in the Premiership as you say. 
However it was very rare in the old First Division in England when I started watching football 25 years ago and is an infection that the influx of foreign players brought to England with them in the 1990's.

Sorry pal, it might be acceptable to you but it isn't for most British football fans.

I agree cheating of any kind should not be part of football at all, please don't confuse me for someone who condones it, because I don't. What I'm saying is that I can't see how you can get rid of it without effecting football as a spectacule.

Cheating of any kind has a negative effect in any aspect of life and football is no different, however my argument is that FIFA's clamp down is having a more negative effect, hardly any of the matches in this World Cup (where the major clamp down has started) has flowed. It's been stop and start football and when a defender can't slide into a challenge without being booked, even when he gets the ball and not the man football as a spectacule is pretty worthless viewing and it's the same with players when they lean into another player to nudge them off the ball and get flagged for it. Perhaps FIFA want football to be a no contact sport like La Liga seem to do, if that's the case then the standard of high quality, end to end football will be serverly tarnished and that to me is far worse than cheating and diving.

Football changes, diving and cheating has always been present, maybe not in frequent showing like nowadays but I'm sure it was there in the old first division. You have to remember that the large influx of foriegn players has also increased diving and play acting, but there are lots of British players that are doing it now. It's become the norm of football these days and no matter how much fans moan and groan it won't rid it from the sport.

If the standard of refereeing shown in the World Cup will become more and more present in football leagues all over the world than football as an entertainment spectacule will serverly suffer as a result. I just can't see how FIFA and the FA's of leagues all over the world will stop cheating without effecting the game as a whole.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 am

Kharhaz wrote:The reason why the subjects becoming more of a concern today is because now it really does affect the game. In the past yes there have been cheaters but usually that was to get a free kick in a really good position or even a penalty, now its to get players sent off more than anything. Gerrard and Henry have dived recently but why shouldnt they be fed up with the cheats like the rest of us? They have been robbed in countless games so why not give a little back? nothings being done about it so they get what they can

Eye for an Eye and all that.

It's not one rule for Gerrard and Henry and one rule for anyone else. Just because Henry and Gerrard are great player doesn't mean that they should get special treatment.  :no
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion